xisto Community
Damen

About Adding A Existing Domain [resolved] Really Important Question

My friend, Sabina, has a domain(http://www.binaland.com/). She hosts her files on one of her friends hard drives somehow for their online use. He has some static IP thing or something like that. But her problem comes to be that his drive always crashes and she has to reload everything back up there. So I offered to help her out.I want to know a way to add her domain to my Xisto account and it would be easy enough uploading the files. Does it cost me any credits to add a domain too? I know I could most likely find out through cPanel but I want to make sure I do it all right with no mess ups.Also, does she have to change anything with her domain company?Thanks for any helpful advice in advance.

Edited by Dooga
Changed topic title to reflect topic (see edit history)

I think what you are looking for is an addon domain. This is where a domain points to a specific folder on your account. There are a few hoops you've got to jump through, and they must be done in this order:

Go to the domain registrar's website and log in to the domain control panel.

Find the section related to nameservers.

Change the nameservers to: ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com

Log out of the domain control panel.

Wait for a while. This could be anything from a few seconds to a few hours. Just keep trying the next few steps until it works.

Under Domains click Addon Domains.

In the New Domain Name: box type binaland.com

In the Subdomain/FTP Username: enter the FTP username you want them to have (it gets created for you).

In the Document Root home: box enter /public_html/binaland

Give the FTP account a secure password.

Hit the Add Domain! button.

If there is any part there you don't understand or gives you an error message, or anything at all which stops it working, I'll do my best to help out.

My friend, Sabina, has a domain(https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=xxs3VKaYDOOg8weduoB4&gws_rd=ssl). She hosts her files on one of her friends hard drives somehow for their online use. He has some static IP thing or something like that. But her problem comes to be that his drive always crashes and she has to reload everything back up there. So I offered to help her out.

I want to know a way to add her domain to my Xisto account and it would be easy enough uploading the files. Does it cost me any credits to add a domain too? I know I could most likely find out through cPanel but I want to make sure I do it all right with no mess ups.

Also, does she have to change anything with her domain company?

Thanks for any helpful advice in advance.

Just follow the steps in rval post and I believe he missed a step when you hadd on your domain you want to create a sub-subdomain (in the add-on menu), and that way it creates a folder for you and then you would upload all the files into that folder. Nope it don't cost you any credits, and as for the domain changes like rval said all she has to do is point the domain to the Xisto servers and and then wait for domain to kick into the servers (24-72 hours) and thats it.

All right guys!Thanks for the step by step process! I will have to get the log-in information from her to get this all done correctly.Now, SM. I do know what your talking about. And that is what I want so I don't have all of her files into my main directory. Could you give me the steps to do that?Thanks very much.

there re no more steps. i would suggest you go in to your control panel right now just to see for yourself. there are three boxes to input the information to add on a domain name. after you do that, your folder will already be created for you. after that, just copy the files and your done bud. it's that simple. just make sure that the domain name already points to Xisto's servers. there will be some wait time, but not much.

hmmm...i just went to my own cpanel and it doesn't give a box to enter the root/home as rvalkass typed it but i believe it's automatically created for you as /public_html/binaland.com

i created n addon domnain once though and it was easy. i don't think you will run in to any problems creating it once the domain points to Xisto's servers

All right guys!
Thanks for the step by step process! I will have to get the log-in information from her to get this all done correctly.

Now, SM. I do know what your talking about. And that is what I want so I don't have all of her files into my main directory. Could you give me the steps to do that?

Thanks very much.

All right, thanks for everyones help, I believe that all I have to do now is decide on a place! I really couldn't find many places that would sell just domain names, they all came with hosting which isn't what we need.Anyone know of a good site for that?

Try this one: https://xisto.com/

the xisto domain service which is a partner with the Xisto Free Forums. The money they earn helps keep the Xisto a free service.

It would be a great gesture to use Xisto - Domains since your friend will be hosted for free (hint)...

All right haslip! Ya convinced me.Even though I have found some cheaper places, I will have her go with xisto. Plus if I need any help with them their service is relevant to Xisto also!Thanks for everyones help. If you like you can put [solved] in the thread name so no one bothers with trying to post answers.