xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
polter

Gun Kata

Have you guys watched the movie "equilibrium" starry Christian Bale, where they use a form of martial arts called GUN KATA? I was wondering, does it really exist? Maybe practiced by some secret society or something? If it does exist, this world would be a really dangerous place to live. Bale shot down about 25 men around him with two 9 mm pistols using GUN KATA..amazing

Bale shot down about 25 men around him with two 9 mm pistols using GUN KATA..amazing

the important thing to remember is that this was in a film and therefore most likely isnt accurate. Im sure thee are methods taught to the secret service etc.. that involve ways to use a gun that could be called "Gun katas" Im not sure what the word "kata" means in japanese or chinese but i know that in many martial arts its a series of moves including attacks and defences that are done in a specific order so perhaps if the SS do learn these katas it would be based on a series of movements intended to block enemy knife attacks etc.. while getting the gun into an appropriate position to be able to fire shots at fatal areas of the attack as in a fist fight even if you have a gun you still need to get it in the right position to hit the intended target

ha! i loved that movie! well, gun kata is supposed to put a person in a special position using statistics and probability, the moves put the user in a position where they are least likely to get hit by enemy fire and to allow them a lot more room for fire. If practiced properly by an experienced person, theoretically they could take down entire armies with just two 90mm heckler & Koch pistols (with infinite ammunition of course) because no bullet would hit them, and basically all the bullets fired would hit the enemy.I doubt that this is real, because there is no 'most likely hit position' everyone fires their gun differently, and also doing this would require inhumanly fast reflexes, and one wrong move could split a tendon, dislocate a shoulder etc.

I doubt that this is real, because there is no 'most likely hit position' everyone fires their gun differently, and also doing this would require inhumanly fast reflexes, and one wrong move could split a tendon, dislocate a shoulder etc.

I totally agree. The movie was good if you keep in mind that such type of martial arts don't exist. Say, like, the matrix, where everything was based on fantasy. If you keep on comparing these types of movies with real life, it's just not fun to watch. Talking about the Matrix, don't you think the makers of Equilibrium stole a bit form that movie?

Yes that gun kata was really good...And i don't know that the gun kata exits or not but polter you are righ tthat if it exists somewhere in the world then the world would be a dangerous place to live in.I don't want that gun to exist because i don't want the terrorists to use these guns......Its existence could cause more deaths during terrorists attacks then it is caused now...

"Equilibrium" is one of my favorite films, and not just because of the gun katas.Krav maga is probably the closest martial art we have to the gun katas. It's close-quarters self-defense developed by the Mossad and, iirc, it can incorporate the use of firearms for definite finishes in real-world situations. I doubt they allow Glocks in sparring practice, however.

gun kata ( possible)Gun Kata

Reality coming into play ... This is a movie ... Actors are doing the stunt. But all bullcrap aside ...The moves were accoplished ..And in slow mo the shots were on point... Now the idea if you not being able to be hit are insane to believe ... But just like any martial art ...It takes one to perfect to make it real...If someone with strong will and disipline kept at it ... It could be possible to make a REAL gun kata. Would it be dangerous ...The numbers of deaths would be crazy...The right person with the wrong will ...Only time will tell. Ive heard time and time again that movies are just futureistic representations of things to come. How I personaly see it ... Its much similar to a mix of 3 arts ... Samuri , krav magra, akito. All teach how to handel multiple attackers... Add in a gun except for the weapons... And magic happens ... The timing would be very important ... Gun weight ... Balance... Repitition of movements to aim properly.. Just like any matrial art these things could be praticted till it was like the gun was an extention of your arm. Look at the art of poi ...(aka rope dart) its a deadly art and uses many poses similar... some of you may need to rethink whats possible ... Even if it is a movie. You cant deny the stunt actors completed the moves ... So if the guns were really fired ... They would have died. Now as for the fact the enemys stood there and took the bullets ... That was just movie magic lol

-reply by Greg

I agree that some form of fast moving martial art based on guns is probably impossible but the human body has been able to go beyond its own limit but I do believe that maybe specific movies in the movie cud prove useful in situations so I think that some form of martial art with guns whether same of different cud initially exist

-reply by nathan raywoo

I am actually working on it. :)Gun Kata

I have started competing in IDPA and also have a black belt in martial arts.  So I am actually both familiar with martial arts katas as well as shooting.  I believe "gun kata" is definitely possible.  But,  not necessarily based on the philosophy of the "gun kata" from the movie Equilibrium.  The movie talks about using mathmatically positioned shooting forms to statistically increase the chance of shots landing on your opponents...  

Students of martial arts ought to know that kata is a serious of attacks, defense... Against set of opponents.  The katas demonstrate as well as train in the specific basic manuvers.  Well you do the same things with guns.  Mind you, you wouldn't include the cool stance and forms that were shown in the movie.  The stance will be realistic.  They would be designed to control recoil, hands formed to optimize follow up shots ...

I will post here again after I have come up with a "beginner" level gun kata.  I even have a cool name for the art: chong do.

;)

Chris

-reply by Chris

I am actually working on it. :)Gun Kata

I have started competing in IDPA and also have a black belt in martial arts.  So I am actually both familiar with martial arts katas as well as shooting.  I believe "gun kata" is definitely possible.  But,  not necessarily based on the philosophy of the "gun kata" from the movie Equilibrium.  The movie talks about using mathmatically positioned shooting forms to statistically increase the chance of shots landing on your opponents...  

Students of martial arts ought to know that kata is a serious of attacks, defense... Against set of opponents.  The katas demonstrate as well as train in the specific basic manuvers.  Well you do the same things with guns.  Mind you, you wouldn't include the cool stance and forms that were shown in the movie.  The stance will be realistic.  They would be designed to control recoil, hands formed to optimize follow up shots ...

I will post here again after I have come up with a "beginner" level gun kata.  I even have a cool name for the art: chong do.

;)

Chris

-reply by Chris

Holy crap you guys are morons.Gun Kata

Every one of the replies to this thread are absolutely ridiculous. Especially you Greg. I kept thinking a voice of reason and reality would appear. But no. However, you guys are hilarious. Who, but a genius comedian could come up with "Now the idea if you not being able to be hit are insane to believe ..." 

I also enjoyed the movie Equilibrium, but I saw it for what it was: a low-budget, sometimes laughable film, about overcoming repressive authority. You're all insane for not laughing at the moron who started the thread.