xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
KansukeKojima

The Dark Bulb-my Invention

Well, unless your oddly insane, I'm sure you all know what a Light bulb is... so, what if someone could make a Dark Bulb?Its bassically a light bulb that sucks the light out of a room... yes it takes away light not gives it off.....So some of you scientifically minded people, have fun trying to figure out how this would work, because I don't have a clue...

I'm not sure how it would work, but they used something kind of like this in the Harry Potter books/movies. I think it was called a "lamplighter" (or something like that).

Its bassically a light bulb that sucks the light out of a room... yes it takes away light not gives it off.....

Well, if you're speaking of light being transformed into another form of energy, I haven't a clue of that as Physics is something I am definitely weak at. But the only way let's say light gets "sucked" is in the case of Black Holes. The reasons; let's get to them later. Recreating a Black Hole is impossible on Earth, so for now your Dark Bulb won't be something plausible I guess. We can't recreate the gravitational pull to suck in photons traveling at a speed of 3x10^8 m/s so light cannot be "sucked" into anything. If light is bombarded onto the bulb, depending onto the material, it might reflect or retract or scatter, nothing that would make it get "sucked" into anything. We require humanely impossible to recreate gravitational force and then let's say something 'unknown' to have light sucked into it. We don't really know what exactly happens to light inside a Black Hole, so until we can't figure that out, we won't be able to figure this out either. :P Edited by sylenzednuke (see edit history)

Its bassically a light bulb that sucks the light out of a room... yes it takes away light not gives it off.....

Well, I guess you could toss an explosive charge in a room and make the lights go out. Or set off an EMP and take out all the electronics for miles away, that'll do it :P .
Besides that, I'm not sure how you can make a harmless "dark bulb." I doubt we've got a way to suck up photons that would do practically.

Yeah I am with dre on that one although dre you may be on to somthing on the EMP. If you think about it, all a EMP wave does is knock out the power permantely; However, if you can find a way to control how long that electricity is out you could have a way to make your dark bulb, per say.

However, if you can find a way to control how long that electricity is out you could have a way to make your dark bulb, per say.

Why not just switch off the lights? It still won't "suck" the light. :P

Well, if you're speaking of light being transformed into another form of energy, I haven't a clue of that as Physics is something I am definitely weak at. But the only way let's say light gets "sucked" is in the case of Black Holes. The reasons; let's get to them later. Recreating a Black Hole is impossible on Earth, so for now your Dark Bulb won't be something plausible I guess. We can't recreate the gravitational pull to suck in photons traveling at a speed of 3x10^8 m/s so light cannot be "sucked" into anything. If light is bombarded onto the bulb, depending onto the material, it might reflect or retract or scatter, nothing that would make it get "sucked" into anything. We require humanely impossible to recreate gravitational force and then let's say something 'unknown' to have light sucked into it. We don't really know what exactly happens to light inside a Black Hole, so until we can't figure that out, we won't be able to figure this out either. :)

That's a pretty tall order saying that it's impossible. A long time ago we used to think alot of things to day were impossible deeming them as "magic" and other such silly things. Why is it impossible the creat a black hole on earth? It's been done to a certain extent, ie, they've been made in small laboratoriess but have only just survived a few miliseconds then vanished into nothingness. However if we can make them to last a tiny bit we could tweak the recipe or use more energy or something and they could last permanently. Theres no reason it can't be done. And if it can't then they would stop trying.

What would the point be in this?
Instead you can turn off lights and close curtains. Simple.

Well I don't think it actually has a use, it just would be a super cool toy. I suppose if you were a criminal or a robber a flashlight with one of these "dark bulbs" would be incredibly useful... :)

Well I don't think it actually has a use, it just would be a super cool toy. I suppose if you were a criminal or a robber a flashlight with one of these "dark bulbs" would be incredibly useful... :)

It would be made illegal then. :(

Of course blame alex for making a cool idea an illegal toy to have :), of course thos EMP bombs are not cheap either, and I won't even try guessing because I could be way off on that. Although Dagoth Nereviar has something on the min black holes, but in order to sustain a black you would literally need to suck out the power to the whole power grid in some large country or rather several large countries. Of course who would be stupid enough to generate something that cannot be contain, that I am aware of, of course an episode of Spider-Man about mini worm holes does come ot mind as a way to transport a person, and of course at the end create a very unstable black hole in return.

Well, if you're speaking of light being transformed into another form of energy, I haven't a clue of that as Physics is something I am definitely weak at. But the only way let's say light gets "sucked" is in the case of Black Holes. The reasons; let's get to them later. Recreating a Black Hole is impossible on Earth, so for now your Dark Bulb won't be something plausible I guess. We can't recreate the gravitational pull to suck in photons traveling at a speed of 3x10^8 m/s so light cannot be "sucked" into anything. If light is bombarded onto the bulb, depending onto the material, it might reflect or retract or scatter, nothing that would make it get "sucked" into anything. We require humanely impossible to recreate gravitational force and then let's say something 'unknown' to have light sucked into it. We don't really know what exactly happens to light inside a Black Hole, so until we can't figure that out, we won't be able to figure this out either. :P

Well yesterday this subject was brought by my 7 year old daughter Gaby, and the best solution we came up was that since light is transmitted by photons, the best way to get rid of light will be by designing a lamp that produces anti-photons. But since anti-photons are the same photons, and we are dealing with visible light, that is low-energy, for most part, the photos will pass right by each other, producing no effect. If i remember it right in the rare case that they will collide with high-energy, they will produce an electron-positron pair, where a collision on low-energy will produce a little light-on-light scattering. But still I think that the best way will no be to suck photons, but to annihilate them. Good luck, we spend a nice time fantasizing what this technology will allow, and the funny situations it will produce. @ernestojmoreno on Twitter

Well, unless your oddly insane, I'm sure you all know what a Light bulb is... so, what if someone could make a Dark Bulb?

So some of you scientifically minded people, have fun trying to figure out how this would work, because I don't have a clue...

Well, i'm pretty sure it can't "suck" the light out, unless it's a pocket black hole, but im sure that there's some way to repel the photons. Although, since these little *BLEEP*ers are highly energetic, i think that that kinda thing couldn't be made in the next millenium.