xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
**Satan**

Doing Push Ups? is doing push ups a good way to get a strong body?

if you do enough push-ups to wear yourself out, or make your muscles feel
tired, then that's good

i've been doing that for about 3 days and can tell

that my muscles are getting bigger

try pumping iron brah

Yeah, I run a little, and do pushups nightly. I do sit ups as well, but because I am underweight, I try not to exert myself. Do you, or does anyone, suggest a specific routine for me to gain mass? I weight 142lbs and am 6'4"

doing 300 pushups every day will probably just cause massive chest pains... your body needs time to relax in between workouts... that's the time the muscle rebuilds, the workout itself is just the tearing of the muscles so they will later rebuild and become biggerMike

hello

i wanted to know will doing push ups for about 10 weeks give you a strong toned body?

i wanted to know because i do pushs up only once a week and run the next 6 days of that week and i don't know if

i'm getting any stronger.

Anything that you do for a short term and expect long term results won't work. You will have to keep your execises continous so that you get fit gradually. Also i would recommend that you do your push ups on a regular basis atlest 2-3 times a week for better visibility.

If you want to improve your body, definitely running should be included. It improves your heart's capabilities, and will help it pump all the blood you need to all those big muscles you want.First, if you're not so good, go easy on yourself and just walk about 2 miles a day. (2 miles = 3.2 km, or about 40 minutes of walking.)Then, you can do jogging (about 3 km at a time, or about 30 minutes) and then running (3 km at a time, about 20 minutes if you're pretty good, 15 if you're excellent).(I can only really do the first step continuously. I need a bit of practice myself!)

is this enough

Doing Push Ups?

I'm 13. I weigh 110 pounds. I do 250 pushups a day. 200 bicep curls. 250 sit ups. I do this 4 times a week. On days off I do cardio.

-question by wackybob

Haha, no they wont sorry buddy. It also depends on how old you are. If your going through your puberty stages, push-ups and situps will do WONDERS for your body. If your past puberty, you will need to do about 2x, if your younger then puberty, you basically can't gain much muscle. Situps will tone your abs, pushups will tone different parts of your arms depending how your doing. Also think about doing situps with weights in each hand, running will also help. Remember this one thing though:
When your weight lifting...

High level weights, less reps = More Muscle being created
Low Level weights, More reps = Muscle being more toned and defined

By low I do not mean like 20lbs, i mean low as in, you can do 20-40 reps fine. High level I mean as high as you can go, with 3-4 reps. MAKE SURE YOU ONLY BENCH ON THE MACHINE WHEN DOING HIGH LEVEL WEIGHTS, that way you can get out safe, if your using uneven weights or freeweights or freefall weights, on a bench press...you will probably hurt yourself, its heavier, and you can hurt yourself doing high level weights with it.

Thats very true, but it may not neccisarilly be 20lbs. Because 20lbs for me is fairly light, where as 50lbs would be a good higher weight without overdoing it and hurting myself.

It really depends on you. Do excercises that work as many muscles as you can, so you get your triceps too, not just your bicepts... and even the gluts for the ladies :D

Definately pushups and sittups, the more you can do the better. I wouldnt recomend anything special, just regular excercises or else you will wear out quicker.

As far as running goes, yes yes yes. You say you run six times a week, so you may be better than I, but what i do is..

Go to gym
Run for 20-30mins
Go to weight machines
Work arms 50%
Work torso 30%
Work legs 20%

The leg excercises take up 20% but are actually not that long, since I would run before it. For example, sometimes ill do a few reps with as many weights as I can find for the leg press... (so far 700 tops, but i run out of weights)

I wouldnt actually recomend running 6 days a week... I would recomend every other day, or monday wednesday friday with a weekend break. On the off running days do extra arm/torso workouts.

If you excersise every day you dont give your muscles a chance to heal and regrow (bigger/leaner). You can actually damage your muscles by over excercising so dont overdue it. If your going stricly for muscle just drink a protein shake before working muscles (probably not before running though).

Well now that that's covered, where can I find some dieting tips? Lol... (i think im addicted to food, hah)

Yeah, I run a little, and do pushups nightly. I do sit ups as well, but because I am underweight, I try not to exert myself. Do you, or does anyone, suggest a specific routine for me to gain mass? I weight 142lbs and am 6'4"

For mass, go to the gym (or get your own weights). Drink a protein shake about 20 minutes before you start lifting. Find the heaviest wieght in which you can do 7 reps of whichever excercise you choose (and then do 7 reps), take a small break, do another 7 reps, rest and then do one last set of 7 reps. I would recomend simple curls, and also what I thought were called butterflys... but online its called a bench dumbell press.

Posted Image

You should also do the same thing with your torso and your legs. I would also recomend that you do this on monday wednesdays and fridays, with either a break or a short run on the off days. If you do it everyday you wont give your muscles time to heal, and you could actually damage them. Once that wieght you started on is easier to lift, go up in wieght... Now if you wanted to be stronger but not get big and bulky you could find a lower weight and do many reps with the same plan. That will make your muscles more lean and toned.

I hope this helps!

hey, if your dedicated to doin those pushups at a high intensity and you keep focous through an intense set, pushups are a great part of a basic total body work out!pushups are commonly regarded as only working the upper body, when infact if done properly, they can work alot more! they directly affect the triceps, forearms, chest, and shoulders........ and also have a ligitimate affect on the abs, because if your doing them right, you will have a straight back, which requires a significant amount of abdominal strength to hold good form throught a long set of pushups. also, pushpus indirectly affect your traps, lower back, butt, hips, and biceps! i know it sounds like crap to say that pushups can work any lower body part, but if you dont believe it, attempt a set of as many pushups you can do before you litterally collapse, then hold in that pushup position ( arms straight, back straight, up off the ground) for two minutes! you'll see the affects!

Replying to **Satan**Mate, if you do push-ups and you are getting tired, then you are working out. Just keep doing them and mix it up a bit (wide push-ups, hands close, feet elevated etc)..Do this till you cant push up anymore...Good luck-reply by brian

Doing pushups alone is not enough to keep you in good shape so to stay in shape for xc, swimming, and track (which are the sports I do) I do this stuff every night:40 push ups.100 crunches.1 mintue 30 seconds of leg lifts also known as six inches.Sit on my balence point and do 25 chest passes.Sit on my bance point and do 25 side passes to each side.Planks and side planks for a minute each (I don't do this one every night cause it take to long)Then some common runners injury prevention stuff.Doing all this keeps me inshape for all the sports I do. If you don't know what the heck some of the stuff I do is just tell me and I'll give you a link to a website that will explain it.

Edited by Running With Scissors (see edit history)

I know it is an old topic and a lot of guys have given excellent ideas already but most of them forget one important thing...THE CORRECT way to do push ups.

Here is some info from an excellent article.:

Things You?ll Need:

* Exercise mat

* Comfortable, non-restrictive clothing

Instructions:

Step1

Starting push-up position Starting push-up position Lie chest-down with your hands at shoulder level, palms flat on the floor and slightly more than shoulder-width apart, your feet together and parallel to each other.

Posted Image

Step2

Look forward rather than down at the floor. The first contact you make with the floor with any part of the face should be your chin, not your nose.

Step3

Keep your legs straight and your toes tucked under your feet.

Step4

Straighten your arms as you push your body up off the floor. Keep your palms fixed at the same position and keep your body straight. Try not to bend or arch your upper or lower back as you push up.

Step5

Exhale as your arms straighten out.

Step6

Pause for a moment.Posted Image

Step7

Lower your body slowly towards the floor. Bend your arms and keep your palms in fixed position. Keep body straight and feet together.Posted Image

Step8

Lower body until chest touches the floor. Try not to bend your back. Keep your knees off the floor, and inhale as you bend your arms.

Step9

Pause for a moment. Begin straightening your arms for a second push-up. Exhale as you raise your body.Posted Image

Tips & Warnings

* For easier push-ups, have an exercise partner place a closed fist underneath your chest. As you lower your body, touch your chest to the fist, pause, then raise your body. This is a little easier than touching your chest to the floor.

* For an easier exercise, lower your knees so that they rest on the floor. Keeping your back straight and your toes tucked under your feet, proceed with the exercise normally. This decreases the amount of pressure placed on your arms.

* Another variation of a push-up is the incline push-up. Leaning on a vertical surface, such as a wall, place your hands shoulder-width apart and slowly proceed with the normal exercise.

* To isolate your chest more during a push-up, widen the position of your hands a little bit. If you want to work out your triceps more, do the opposite and bring your hands closer together so that they're under your chest.

* If you have any condition that would impair or limit your ability to engage in physical activity, please consult a physician before attempting this activity. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment.

Source:http://www.ehow.com/how_3190_proper-push-up.html

heres what helped me...

make your hands into a dimiond shape do 10 of those

do ten pushups shoulder length

then do ten pushups wider the shoulder length

repeat until you cant lif your self no more remember pause for 1-3 secs at each low point and high point if you cant do 10 every time try 5-7

Drink water all day long eat alot of protein and sleep alot

How to gain muscles with home daily exercise.Doing Push Ups?

First of all, you should not sleep less than 8 hours at night. In addition, lot of protein MUST be included in your diet. Meat, poultry and fish are good examples. But buddies, make sure its 6 meals a day!. Perform from 5-10 sets of daily push ups with as much reps as you can. Do it and tell me how did it go with you.

-reply by Zizo( the body pumper )

Push upsDoing Push Ups?

I do 5 sets of 20 every night, or 5 sets of 25 depending, I also recomend drinking water, as your body will feel strained every other day, Trust me, you will get results for your upper body, and for an extra incentive, get some push up bars and do 5 sets of 20 or 5 sets of 25, The results, youll come out in a couple of weeks ready to train, your body will be,at least the upper body will be in tip top shape,These help you with weight lifting as well 

-reply by Attai