xisto Community
smithy500

Political Correctness Getting Ot Of Hand Do you think being politically correct is getting silly

People have disabilities, we all know that however do you feel people feel offended when you use certain words. For example I cant say 'brainstorm' anymore as a term for a spider diagram, I have to say 'Mind Map' etc in order to not offend someone with epilepsy however, will they think 'brainstorm I find that offensive when it is in know way related in context to the problem that people epilepsy have.

Even more silly than this the government consider renaming the play 'snow white and the seven dwarfs' to 'Snow White and the 7 vertically challenged men. Do they find the word 'Dwarf' offensive. I have talked to ne and he said 'thats just what we're called its been that way for centuries and they didn't find it offensive then and still not now'

what are your views?

It's getting out of hand, you say? But I don't have any hands after my industrial accident. BLASPHEMY! :D

Yes, it can do, but the biggest problem with political correctness is that it distracts from the very real fact that discrimination is alive and well in our society.

It's like any kind of social movement - whenever there is a need for social change (such as in the heavily discriminatory employment sector of the UK in the early half of this century), societies always act in a very visible and explosive manner, sometimes overreacting. At the same time, however, we still have people in wheelchairs (thinking of my previous employer) being denied job interviews because 'they won't be able to get into the building' - despite the fact that this person was more qualified and capable than both of us interviewing...

Though it probably didn't help that she was a woman. A woman! In a wheelchair? Employers can barely manage one, never mind both.

It is also easy to overlook the fact that language can and does hurt feelings (despite the fact that we're on a forum... :D ), and when we talk about someone 'being a dwarf' [not quoting smithy500] we often don't realise that we are defining that person by their appearance (saying that someone is a dwarf is very different from describing them as short).

We've become so accustomed to this in many areas ('she's a hotty'), it's easy to just accept this as being normal (whatever the heck that is). Still, I can't help comparing this to elderly relatives saying that 'they get on fine with darkies'.

In case anyone is wondering, I am not disabled in any way. And yes, my background is in linguistics, to my eternal shame. :)

I think that it's completely ridiculous how political correctness can be, especially at this time.Just to prevent from unintentionally offending ANYONE, people have to change the way they speak and even interpret things. It's outrageous to think that you can't even use the word "brainstorm" without offending an epileptic person. (Who the heck came up with that?)I thought OP was going to mention the derogatory use of the word "gay" or "midget" or any other words that you and I know very well are utilized in detrimental manners.But "brainstorm?"People need to relax and not have to worry that everyone is out to hate him or her because of what he or she is. It's a serious step-back to be watching our tongues in lieu of simply saying what makes sense at the time. Now, if it was an intentional insult or direct comment towards a person in order to belittle them, that would make sense. But I am not going to change the way that I speak just because someone decides to throw a hissy fit because he or she finds it in the slightest way offensive.Political correctness should be applied to certain derogatory terms, such as "gay." We all know how common it is nowadays for people to say that something is "gay," how it "sucks," or what-have-you. It's unfortunate that a mass majority of people use the word "gay" and/or "queer" to mention something as of bad taste, which would invite a sensible application of political correctness.But "brainstorm?" I seriously would laugh if I found someone offended by that. :)

I agree, we should stop worrying about silly thing like i meantioned and focus on what you said discimination. Obviously if a wheelchair is applying for a job that he actually cant do such a working on a building site ect then within good reason. Sexism is ripe along with racism and we need to concentrate on eradicating important things and not ancient fairy tales.

I think that it's completely ridiculous how political correctness can be, especially at this time.
Just to prevent from unintentionally offending ANYONE, people have to change the way they speak and even interpret things. It's outrageous to think that you can't even use the word "brainstorm" without offending an epileptic person. (Who the heck came up with that?)

I thought OP was going to mention the derogatory use of the word "gay" or "midget" or any other words that you and I know very well are utilized in detrimental manners.

But "brainstorm?"

People need to relax and not have to worry that everyone is out to hate him or her because of what he or she is. It's a serious step-back to be watching our tongues in lieu of simply saying what makes sense at the time. Now, if it was an intentional insult or direct comment towards a person in order to belittle them, that would make sense. But I am not going to change the way that I speak just because someone decides to throw a hissy fit because he or she finds it in the slightest way offensive.

Political correctness should be applied to certain derogatory terms, such as "gay." We all know how common it is nowadays for people to say that something is "gay," how it "sucks," or what-have-you. It's unfortunate that a mass majority of people use the word "gay" and/or "queer" to mention something as of bad taste, which would invite a sensible application of political correctness.

But "brainstorm?" I seriously would laugh if I found someone offended by that. :)

Hey were told that in school. The teachers and the students all think it's stupid. It's annoying to think that despite the not so much racism, more like cultural ignorance that happens in our school. origionally coming from london and moving to kent there are very few other cultures around and people need to learn about these rather than polically correct spider diagrams

right, now i believe that political correctness is getting completely out of hand. last year, i gathered from what i have heard in the news and on the net, and compiled a lost of the top 10 politically incorrect words and phrases for 2006. please note that this is in especial reference to australia:1. Macaca ? Might have changed the political balance of the US Senate, since George Allen?s (R-VA) utterance (which is an offensive slang term for Indians of the Sub-continent in the West Indies) surely has impacted his election bid.2. Global Warming Denier ? Since there are those who now believe that climate changed has moved from scientific theory to dogma; there are now proposal that ?global warming deniers? be treated the same as ?holocaust deniers:? professional ostracism, belittlement, ridicule and, even, jail.3. Herstory for History ? ?Herstory? again attempts to take the male element out of ?HIS story?. Though there are nearly 900,000 Google citations for ?HERstory, they are all based on a mistaken assumption. When Herodotus wrote the first history, the word meant simply an ?inquiry?.4. Flip Chart. The term can be offensive to Filipinos, please use ?writing block?.5. 1a and 1b -- The headmistress of a grade school in Midlothian (Scotland) had to split a grade into two equal classes. Though the split was purely alphabetical, parents objects because those with children in '1b' feared they may be perceived as academically inferior to those in '1a'.6. Politically Incorrect Colors -- Staff at a coffee shop in Glasgow refused to serve a customer who had ordered a 'black coffee', believing it to be ?racist.? He wasn?t served until he changed his order to 'coffee without milk'. Around the world we have reports of the word ?black? becoming emotionally charged and politically correct or incorrect depending upon one?s point of view.7. Oriental ? Asian, please. Though this is generally a purely American phenomenon. In Europe, Asians prefer the term Oriental, which literally means ?those from the East?.8. Menaissance ? The rise of a ?manliness? culture or male renaissance. Replaces metrosexual, which evidently appealed to women but not men.9. Momtini -- A Michigan mother invented the term ?momtini? as an act of rebellion against ?parental correctness?. This has raised the hackles of child protection and ?anti-alcohol? groups.10. ?Our Mother and Father Who are in Heaven? ? From a new, ?inclusive? Bible translation (The Bible in a More Just Language) that replaces what it believes to be ?divisive? teachings of Christianity.Bonus: Political Correctness -- 'Equality Essentials,' a 44-page training manual book called has been used for staff training courses at Kirklees Council in West Yorkshire suggests that the term Political Correctness is now politically incorrect.once this year is over, i will compile some for 2007... there are some good ones, this year...

I'm just going to go over my opinion on the subject here.I fear my opinion may be viewed as a bit juvenile and immature, as it seems to be the opinion of many adolescents.To which, I am not very proud to be associated with, but this is where I stand none the less.I do not believe in "Political Correctness" in the sense that it has taken on in the last few years.I've never believed in censorship.And I've always believed in 100% freedom of speech. No matter what that speech might be.I think that society, as a whole, has been getting far too sensitive to words being said. Especially when they get overly offended at something they heard someone say when that person wasn't even referring to them, or even the actual issue. Let me clarify, because I know that sentence is a bit unclear: Somebody calls something 'retarded' out of frustration; someone with a mental deficit hears the statement and goes into a state of serious offense and depression.I can't speak for everyone, but I'm sure in that situation, 95% of people wouldn't be thinking of a mentally challenged person when they're frustrated and call something 'retarded'.Same theory applies for 'gay' and other such words.I'd like to clarify, at this time, that this entire post is meant to be purely that of my opinion.I think that society should calm down about the word choices of people being used. Especially in situations where the words they're complaining about haven't even been used in an offensive intent.I'd also like to clarify another point;I'm not, in any way, saying I would condone somebody using such words in offensive way. (IE : Walking up to a man walking down the road wearing pink and screaming (A derogatory remark for homosexual that Xisto censors) at him.)There is a difference between Free Speech and general consideration for people. And I believe that most of society should have the common sense not to insult people. But really, anyone who is going to scream profanities and derogatory statements at someone out of prejudice would do so with or without the approval of society.I apologize if anything I've said is unclear.I'm aware that there are times I end up typing faster than my mind actually formulates words into coherent sentences.Out of courtesy, I'd ask that, if you feel the need to pick apart my post (Which I'm sure at least one person will), that you make sure you aren't misunderstanding what I'm saying first.

Do people really do that? That's ridiculous! Those are perfectly legitimate English words which I'm sure were not meant to be insensitive or derogatory. If one wants to be sensitive to the feelings of the handicapped or minority, he should give him assistance when he needs it and be respectful of his feelings. This sort of 'political correctness' is just insincere and makes the handicapped or minority even more conscious of their differences.

Words are fun. We can make them dance, spin and sing to fit our whims. Isn't it fun to listen to lively banter on the tv or among friends, but on the tv some of the insult in the slurs get glossed over and friends know each other well enough to accept dastardly insults without offense. Which is where the whole political correctness phenomenon just skimmed on by me, I find it difficult to take offense at a tool as basic and all-purpose as the english language. If an insult or term is correctly applied to me I can try to deny what I am or I can move on. I'm big into honesty, so I tend to move on. If it is incorrectly applied I can choose to contest the application of the term, or let it go to get on with more important matters. And I have some facility with the arsenal provided by the english language, should I choose to contest an incorrectly applied slur. But Political Correctness is driven by those who chose to take offense, which I think says something about those who get uppity about correctly used words with multiple meanings or contexts.

Well, then again, the word "mind map" is derogatory to the mentally challenged (retarded?)... so it's pick-and-choose mentality. I think political correctness only makes the problem worse. If you call someone vertically challenged, the people being called so will think that the callers are just being overtly polite to cover up their hate.

Come on, political correctness is just a load af rubbish that gives the leftwingers their opportunity to block everything and everyone from saying what they do not want to hear.We all know the left's favourite principle: "Freedom of speech is sacred, as long as you say what we want to hear and as long as you agree with our doctrines, if you son't, we kick your head in".That is also how it used to go (and still does) in the former Soviet union and the earstern European countries under communist regimes. People having to go in exile or being executed, simply for voicing an opinion. The best one is, those regimes are the ones that refer to themselves as "democratic".And, to come back to political correctness, these days it is political incorrect to say 'Fireman' or 'Policeman', should now be 'Firefighter' and 'Police Officer'.Can you imagine one male police office who would be offended being referred to as 'policeman'? After all, he is a man who is in the police force, isn't he? The same goes for referring to a WPC as a 'police woman', aren't we talking about a woman in the police force here? So, what would be offensive about that?The same for 'Fireman' and 'Firewoman', are we not referring to both genders, being a member of the Fire Brigade here?So, I cannot see any fireman or firewoman being offended being referred to in this way, as you do not do their gender any injustice, do you?It even gets worse when it comes to words referring to race, as with the previous (sexism), to the left wing racism only works one way.Just like, in their book, a man can only discriminate a woman, and the opposite is never true (I, among others have gone through a lot of suffering due to discrimination by a female (and feminist)boss, but obviously I did not have a leg to stand on when trying to report the matter, if the shoe had only been on the other foot...), now the same goes for race, as I said before, only whites can discriminate against other races, the opposite is of course impossible. So, in that respect, they have banned certain words too, and I understand some of them can be offensive (which is why I am not going to mention them here), but, in today's society, just try to report that a black person called you "Honky", you will be laughed out of the building, because that is of course not offensive (that is what society has become).So, I say, 'To hell with political correctness', it is just nowaday's hypocrisy reaching a peak, and only the things which do not fit into their system is deemed politically incorrect. The same thing, why, in some places are we now to refer to a 'Christmas concert' as 'a festive concert', or why can we, in some instances not use the word 'Christmas' any more? The reason being it might upset immigrants. well, us, Christians have celebrated Christmas for 100s of years, it belongs to our culture, our religion, so why should we all of a sudden have to change that in order not to offend people who come to our country and do not want us to live our culture as we see fit? Have a think about all that, and I am sure, this discussion will continue in the not so distant future.

Having been a moderator on a popular teen website recently, I have some interesting perspectives on this issue which I would like to share. Firstly, to address mrdee's assertion that "only whites can discriminate against other races, the opposite is of course impossible". One very offensive anti-Caucasian word that has sparked a lot of debate recently is the term "Cracker". Calling a white-skinned person a "Cracker" is extremely offensive, particularly if the word is used by a dark-skinned person. Apparently the term has the connotation of "cracking the whip", harking back to the days of slavery. This has become the premium insult against white-folk, almost on par with the N word as an insult to dark-skinned folk. I have seen much debate about this issue, and I know that it is extremely sensitive.

As for other politically correct terms, we need to remember that language is constantly evolving. Something that we say as part of regular conversation today may tomorrow be considered to be offensive. I'm sure that the linguists in this thread, such as crazyfray, would agree. An interesting example of this, which was also mentioned earlier in this thread by rayzoredge, is the word "gay", and how it has changed from meaning "happily excited : merry" or "bright, lively" (from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary), to also having the meaning of homosexual persons and homosexuality. What was once considered to be a benign, innocuous word now has a sinister undertone as a derogatory slur against those of homosexual orientation. For a further look at this particular issue, have a browse of this article on Answers.com, entitled How did the word "gay" come to mean homosexual?

The world is becoming smaller, through technology such as the internet, the jumbo jet, the television, etc. This has a result of bringing us into contact more often with people of other cultures, as smithy500 pointed out in this post...

Hey were told that in school. The teachers and the students all think it's stupid. It's annoying to think that despite the not so much racism, more like cultural ignorance that happens in our school. origionally coming from london and moving to kent there are very few other cultures around and people need to learn about these rather than polically correct spider diagrams

I emphasized the term "cultural ignorance" because I think that is the key to a lot of the changes in language, which fuels these politically correct issues that crop up. Something that we say in everyday English may be translated, interpreted, or even transliterated as something particularly offensive to another culture. Society has a knee-jerk reaction to such situations, seeing them as something bad, something that needs to be covered up and fixed, in fear that they will hinder relations between the cultures involved. Instead, what we should be doing is seeing them as an opportunity to learn from each other. Why does this word or phrase offend you? What does it mean in your culture? This is what it means in my culture. When I say it, this is what I mean, and it is not meant to offend you. If I were to go into a room full of people from your culture, and say it loudly with the intention to offend, then that would be different. But, please, allow me to continue my own culture and traditions, as I respect yours also.

This leads nicely into what mrdee has just said above about Christianity, Christmas, and religion. But I will leave it there for now.

I agree, it has gone too far. And i am not atall racist or anything like that.It just really anoys me when i get called racist because i describe someone is ginger, in a wheelchail, dark skin, light skin.its not racist unless you say its bad, or treat someone differently because of it.Just because i say that someone i know is dark skinned, doesnt mean i think its a bad thing. And another very annoying thing is, when people think that people with ginger hair are a different race GRRRRR.And then there are things like school tests, for a start of, they use them in annoying places, i may know that "nita" is a name not a mathematical term, but some people have been known to make that mistake.And we have indian names in our maths test, so why no other names, why not korean? or any other coutry. Its one thing to say that all countries have the same rights and that we should make children aware of other ethnical groups by putting foreign names in school tests and other obscure places (i think this is stupid, as no-one stops to think about the names in a maths test), but its another to say that then only include one nationality.Please not: I am not