xisto Community
longtimeago

Bad Ram Can Cause Computer Failure To Start? regarding Random Access Memory

Friends recently i had my computer thrilled with failure to start. I contacted the system dealer , he said that the RAM had the problem and replaces it , my old RAM is a 1 GB RAM.I saw the RAM in that we have the copper teeths like structure in the bottom which fits in the motherboard there one copper stripp has come out .Is there any solution or must i throw the RAM ?

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Title modified

We would need to see a picture of the set up as the description doesn't help in diagnosing the problem; however, bad RAM will cause the pc not to boot up since RAM is needed to speed up the boot process. if your RAM has gone bad you will hear a series of beeps in POST, but usually depending on the beeps it could be something else.

Use this site as a guide if you hear any beeps

After rereading I think I know what part of the RAM stick your talking about, but that would seem impossible unless you bent the RAM at all. Like I said post some pictures of this so we can get a better idea what it could be, and if the deal did say the RAM has to be release then all you have to is just replace it and nothing more.

Yeah, by the description given, the only solution is getting a new RAM stick. You don't necessarily have to get another 1GB stick of RAM, just make sure your motherboard supports the RAM stick you may plan on getting. Not all RAM sticks will work on your motherboard, so figure out which speed this RAM stick you're mentioning is (e.g. DDR 667, DDR 800, etc) and purchase that. The RAM stick should say on its side what kind it is.

I have seen 1 out of the 2 sticks of memory be bad and a computer not boot. You see fan's, hear drives, ect, but no image is returned on your monitor. Kind of a weird thing, but after replacing the 1 bad stick with a matching piece of memory, system booted up no problem.

yup, it can happen test it against another stick of ram (be very careful how you hold it) 1. Take the bad one out, 2. Put the good one in 3. if it works theres a problem with the bad ram 4. If it doesn't, start checking your bios for problems (maybe update it this can be dangerous so PLEASE do not hold me responsible when i tell people that i ask them if they want me to do it and 9 time out of 10 they will say yes) Its REALLY fustrating as plug says you will hear drives working see fans working but the damn thing wont work The best place for ram is MicroDirect (The hyperlink will take you straight to the ram section if you need laptop memory) Hope this helps and works, be sure to tell us the results karlosantana NOT a newbie anymore!

As I knew for the old RAM ( PC-100 / PC-133 etc. ) it is not all the copper teeth used all

together. Althrough one or two was not present on the ram board but it still work without issues.

But I haven't know the newest ram.

You may have a try to download the memory test utility to check to see if your ram was really damaged.

Take a look the memtest86+ ( http://www.memtest.org/ )

Here is some screen shot and thier feature.

Posted Image

(Memtest86+ V1.00 on i875P)

Posted Image

(Memtest86+ V1.00 on nForce2)

Posted Image

(Memtest86+ V1.00 on AMD64)

*** Enhancements in v1.70 : ***

New Features

Add new DMI polling feature

Add Support for Core/Core2 Solo/Duo/Quad CPU

Add Support for AMD K8 with DDR2 Memory

Add Support for Intel CPU with 192/384 KB L2 Cache

Add Support for FB-DIMM based memory (DMI)

Add Detection for ALI CyberAladdin-T (M1644)

Add Detection for Turion 64 X2

Add Support for ATi Radeon xPress 3200

Add Support for Intel i975X

Add Support for Intel Q965/P965

Add Support for Intel Q963/Q965

Bug Fixes

Force detection for AMD K8 with unknown chipsets

and more ...

I also attached a ISO version of it in this post

memtest86__1.70.iso.zip

URL : http://www.memtest.org/

last time i had a problem like yours the problem was the graphic card. dead ram will cause no boot at all.graphic card problem will cause no image and a noisy beeps. but you can try your ram on friends computers to see if it boots. if it doesn't probably it's ram fault. if it boots, maybe it's your motherboard ram slot fault.you can't say that's something fault before trying on different computers. good luck.greets~Jo?o Lopes

I`ve had similar problem. Replaced RAM stick. 1of 4. Several months later same problem and cleaned contact on different RAM stick and it worked until restart next day. Appears to happen when unit cold. Any thoughts. Finally got it started after many tries this AM

I have an evem more difficult problem to diagnos. Two days ago I shut my computer down. 8 hours later i went to turn it on and it would not start. All i got was a clicking sound in the power supply area. I unpluged everything from the computer and held the power button down for 30-40 seconds to drain all remaining power, pluged everything back up and the computer started fine. After a few minutes i shut it down to test it and once again it would not come back on. I tried the power drain again but this time it would not work. All i hear when i replug the computer back in is a clicking coming from the power supply. When i open the computer you can see the mother board light bulb is on but nothing else. So I take computer to Best Buy Geek squad to have them check the power supply. They said it was good. Here is where this problem gets tough. He starts the computer with no problems 10-12 times with no glitches. So i take the computer back home to see if maybe it could be something wrong with my wall outlet or maybe my wires. But when i get everything back to the way it was the computer works fine. And now just as this post is being written I have had no other problems. I figured virus, but rans complete thorough scan with Norton and it found nothin. Only other thing i can think of is the mother board could be glitching, But if that were the case id think that it would't work right when the computer is turning on.Please if you guys have heard this please let me know?

I have an evem more difficult problem to diagnos. Two days ago I shut my computer down. 8 hours later i went to turn it on and it would not start. All i got was a clicking sound in the power supply area. I unpluged everything from the computer and held the power button down for 30-40 seconds to drain all remaining power, pluged everything back up and the computer started fine. After a few minutes i shut it down to test it and once again it would not come back on. I tried the power drain again but this time it would not work. All i hear when i replug the computer back in is a clicking coming from the power supply. When i open the computer you can see the mother board light bulb is on but nothing else. So I take computer to Best Buy Geek squad to have them check the power supply. They said it was good. Here is where this problem gets tough. He starts the computer with no problems 10-12 times with no glitches. So i take the computer back home to see if maybe it could be something wrong with my wall outlet or maybe my wires. But when i get everything back to the way it was the computer works fine. And now just as this post is being written I have had no other problems. I figured virus, but rans complete thorough scan with Norton and it found nothin. Only other thing i can think of is the mother board could be glitching, But if that were the case id think that it would't work right when the computer is turning on.Please if you guys have heard this please let me know?

i think this is intermittant problem could be due to loose connections or may be with loose ram. clean same ram with soft cotton. then place it in another ram slot or same slot & wait to check problem comes agian or not.
Edited by askpreeti (see edit history)