xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
boaz

Girl Born With 8 Limbs

India - Looking healthy and alert, an Indian girl born with four arms and four legs made her first public appearance Tuesday since surgeons removed the extra limbs nearly a week ago.
Swathed in blankets and lying on her father's lap, the bright-eyed 2-year-old known as Lakshmi appeared before reporters without the extra limbs that had led some in her rural village to revere her as an incarnation of the four-armed goddess she was named after.

Lakshmi had both of her legs in casts while her arms were free. After sitting for photographs, her parents quickly ushered her off the stage without speaking to reporters.

Her doctors were encouraged by her progress and said she was responding well enough to treatment to leave the intensive care unit at Sparsh Hospital.

"She is coping very well and she is stable," said chief surgeon Dr. Sharan Patil. "Lakshmi is safe at the moment."

Lakshmi was born joined at the pelvis to a "parasitic twin" that stopped developing in her mother's womb. The surviving fetus absorbed the limbs, kidneys and other body parts of the undeveloped twin.

A team of more than 30 surgeons finished the 24-hour operation Nov. 7 at a hospital in the southern city of Bangalore. They removed the extra limbs, transplanted a kidney from the twin and reconstructed Lakshmi's pelvic area

Notice from jlhaslip:

I've read the newspaper report about her being born with 8 limbs. It's really amazing and horrific, all the new genetic problems that have suddenly materialized! Fortunately the extra limbs could be removed, or she'll certainly face psychological and physical problems later on in life.

I saw the picture in my newspaper... wow... Its amazing how genetics and stuff can get messed up sometimes...

I will admit when I saw this article I was completely shocked that this happen. Not so much that it does happen but this kind of genetic defection could happen and be survivable like that. The human body, DNA, genetics are the most unknown topics in this world because of the enigma's that it produces.

O.O thats pretty disturbing... the human body can do some really wierd stuff O_O. Hope she grows up well... the whole world now knows about her arms and legs that she was born with.I hate to think what she would be like if she grew up like that without surgery... O.O

without surgey? wow. peeople would be scared of her

It's really great that she survived the surgery and it all went to plan.I heard about this on another forum and was shocked about it. Told a few people.It's really amazing and I feel sorry for her.

After a surgery like this, there will be major rehabilitation. Hopefully she will be healthy the rest of her life. Also, could anyone even imagine what would happen if she got pregnant? Even if she could bear a child and give birth, there's still the genetic concern.

Maybe she is apart of evolution, maybe in the next ten years all babies will be born with extra limbs?

Well one uber disturbing thought just came to my mind...What if she could move everyone of those limbs.... creepy.... and interesting if she could...That would be very amazing, but I don't think its the case...

What... the... heck... I mean, that is just weird. I hope she's okay, but... darn... :)...I just went and looked at some pictures... that is definately not natural, it's really strange how she was merged with a headless twin. I hope she can end up living a normal life, it's a miracle that she even survived the surgery.

Edited by cangor (see edit history)

Yeah, I saw this in the news paper the other day. Very intresting case. She has basically taken two bodies and has 1 head. Meaning, she has 8 limbs. If anything, this is a improvement to mankind. 4 limbs is so old now, having more limbs would be great. Perhaps this is evolution taking effect? Perhaps more babies will be born with more then 4 limbs. Perhaps evolution is just finding the correct number. I doubt this girl can walk well. But she can hold onto 4 things at once!

Notice from jlhaslip:

That is very very weird!
Crazy to think these kind of mutations happen and we do hear about some of them because there in parts of the world without reporters and press.
Love the tv shows you get on tv about them, it's kinda horrible but I feel compelled to watch and learn about these things which happen on earth throughout our lives. :)