xisto Community
Dagoth Nereviar

Perpetual Motion A possible pointless thought.

Posted Image

OK Heres my thought, if we take a perfect pentagram like that and on each on of the star place a weight with equal mass. And administer a slight push because of the odd number of points no matter what point it will be in it will always have more weight on one side that the other. As seen here

Posted Image

As we can see here. There is three on the right and two on the left. This will make it fall clockwise bringing it to this kind of position.

Im not even gonna bother, you get the idea it'll keep going forever. Swell. Perpetual motion.

Now that we have this we dont need anything like oil or anything right?

No.

We have made kinetic energy yes. But it is in such a minute form that the one I have which is about 30cm tall makes enough energy in a day to power a light for an hour. Thats right, a 60W bulb runs on this for an hour.

In order for a car to run for about 50 miles. It would take about 20 of these at about 2 times the size. (I don't know the exact amounts)

It is less effective than a windmill because with wind it is being pushed with the speed of wind. With my thingy it is only moving at about 5 miles an hour, I added heavier weight in an effort to increase the speed. It did'nt work :rolleyes:

So yeah perpetual motion is a pipe dream, were all gonna die. Unless we slow down with the oil. Were not even have way through it yet that oil ya know. Ya it's true but it's like yoghurt. The deeper you eat into it. The harder it is to get it out the bottom. Anyway I'm getting off topic. Post your thoughts on perpetual motion and your machines that have made it :3

I am sure your device is not completely silent, and I'm sure it is not frictionless. Therefore, you are 'losing' energy in both of these forms as the device rotates. It might go on for quite a while with no assistance, but it will eventually stop (like a Newton's cradle). Plus, what happens when there are 3 points on the left and two on the right? That would force it to rotate anticlockwise, and cancel out the previous effect until it came to rest with one weight at the bottom (effectively, when released it would just flip upside down).

If you say that it will be on Perpetual motion, then it goes without saying that you have already assume that the place where the Pentagram will be moving is a frictionless space and no other force is available to affect the movement of the pentagram. It is only on such space that your pentagram will keep moving without end. If this the case, any object (irregular or regular polygon) can also be set into perpetual motion with just a push.

Perpetual motion may seem as if it is possible at first but been prooved by many to be impossible. Now I'm not quite sure if I belive that or not. I won't take a side just so I can't be proven wrong. I actually think that it is possible because gravity is a never ending force, if only we could somehow harness it we could get perpetual motion... Perhaps if we built a giant track around the entire earth that has a conductor inside that produces electricity when moved around the track and we tie a giant cable to the moon and attack the other end to the contuctor... Eh I'm getting off track. Linekill brings up a good point that eventually when it loses momentum it will go backwards and lose all of its motion.You mention oil and how we are soon going to run out but remember, most of our sources of energy do not come from oil. There are hardly any oil power plants left. People are using wind and nueclear power now. Much cleaner and more reliable. The new technology of hydrogen powered automobiles (i think) will crush teh oil industry as everything slowly transitions to cleaner, more reliable sources of power.

Spinning, levitating magnets in a vaccuum could easily go for quite a while. Eventually though the polarities could cause some sort of friction?

PROGRAMMER(prō'grăm'ər)- n. An organism that converts caffeine into software.

LMAO! Edited by adrianator (see edit history)

When dealing with this subject nature has the key we just need to find where she keeps it like trying to find why the molecule rotates around the neucleus despite gravety and usually being surrounded by liquid

You're right about the oil thing though, we currently use way too much oil to be sustainable, and nuclear power only supplies about 25% of the electrical energy used in the United States. Believe it or not, a lot of our electricity still comes from coal, which I guess is still better than oil because it doesn't come from the Middle East. Until a majority of our power comes from renewable (or more sustainable) sources, we're going to be in a lot of trouble...