xisto Community
AlphaOfDoom

No Words? Question....

Ok I made an SMF forum after all with my hosting account, and installed some mods on it and all that, but why won't words appear on it!!!!Like it will say something like:: (0) instead ofTotal Trade Count : (0) and there will be text areas with no words next to it.....just wondering what I'm doing wrong lol....And also some things like links at the top and such..

No text is likely to mean it can't find the language files. Make sure that you have set a language for the site, and the relative language file exists. I've not used SMF a lot so I can't tell you exactly where they are, sorry.

Is there space where the word was supposed to be? If so then it's probably because the font color matches the background. If not, it could be missing language files, like rvalkass said. It could also be some other type of failed installation. I would reccomend re-installing and making sure you're following every step if nothing else works.

smf is a php-based system already.Try the previous suggestions to see if the language files are placed in the correct place and also that they exist, first.

Ok I am not quite 100% sure how to use the CPanel and all that stuff so can someone tell me HOW to make sure the language files are in the right place...for example...How do I know if they are in wrong place....or if there is something wrong...Sorry, I am new to CPanels and that sort of thing :rolleyes:

Edited by AlphaOfDoom (see edit history)

Ok as you may have noticed by my other topic, I stated there were times where on my forum on my hosting account, words wouldn't show up.For example, a space to put words, with simply : next to it, and nothing else. This has happened countless times.Also, certain links won't show, Admin panel links won't show....You guys told me some language files probably couldn't be found, yet how do I know where these language files are and how to fix the problem?My 'No words' topic has gotten no attention since yesterday when I requested assistance...Please help...EDIT 2: Ok what's going on!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 whole freaken days went by now and NOT ONE ANSWER ON EITHER TOPIC!!!!!!!!!! Did you people die or something I need help....I tried looking in the language things and I seriously do not get it.....P L E A S E H E L P....I can only have so much patience.... (I wanted to get this working tonight, what a shame....)

Sign-on to your Cpanel. Doing that will take you to the Account {root} folder.Click on the file folder ICON next to public_html to move into the public_html folder.Click on the Icon to move into a folder or click on the text to have a list of available options for the folder/file.Once you find the file, you can click on the text name and a list of Options is displayed top-right of the page.One option is to edit a file, or the bottom link will display the file in your Browser.

Ok remember I am not smart when it comes to this. (Never used a Cpanel) Log in to Cpanel...Ok I figured that out (wow) It takes me to the Account {root} folder? << ??? Im confused....I went to 'file manager' and saw public Html, but I don't know if this is right, and I clicked it and something that says Upload files showed up...I'm just confused here.....Oh and you said Click text for options, and then you said once you find the file? Don't get what you mean cause ....the options don't seem to relate..I see ; Public_html and under it= www and over it= Public_Ftp <that 1 right? So do I move it to public html?

To be shown on your site, everything must be installed under public_html folder. www folder is the short cut to public_html folder.When we, or an instruction, talk about create a folder or upload to your directory it is referred to public_html folder using Unix system (that's what our hosting is based on).Upload all your files to a folder called "forum" or whatever (i.e. public_html/forum) and follow the SMF installation instruction. It's usually yourURL/folder/install.php and the next screen will prompt you to change additional settings to make your SMF installation perfect.Read carefully and multiple times so that you understand the installation process. I understand your frustration but there's no need to shout in our forum for a help, when your topic title does not state your problem clearly. Furthermore, stating what you have done and tried might help your situation better since some replies to your topic request for clarification.If you are still having the same or similar problem, you can request me or other members to install SMF on your behalf.Okay?

Ok I see, so since there are no words showing in some parts, it is because it is not in the public html place? Another words uninstall it and put it in the directory I am guessing...

I'll give it a try and see ....

(PS: Sorry about the topic name, and after 2-3 days of no answer........frustrating...)

Edit 1: Another question, you said upload all, but....all the others in Public_html, or all that exist, or what? And to this 1 FORUM and they will work?

Edit 2: Ok ONE more question, I have used the package manager for mods, because it was easy....sometimes I get a link to them and download them and they will appear as an Icon in the 'desktop' or whatever, you put these in 'forum' too?

Edit 3: PS: How come it won't let me put some in....'Access denied'

Edit 4: Ah this is messed up!!!

Warning: require_once(/home/omega/public_html/Sources/QueryString.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/omega/public_html/index.php on line 49
Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/omega/public_html/Sources/QueryString.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;) in /home/omega/public_html/index.php on line 49

Alright I am having no luck at all right now.....any ideas?

Edit 5: Ok now I think I got this right, but it can't find it now....

Not FoundThe requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.39 Server at sherwoodinfo.trap17.com Port 80

Ok guys, 24 hours later and no reply....I'm sorry but I need help, I can't even get to my forum now! (I hate it when I don't know what I am doing)