xisto Community
Darth_Vader

A Little Help With My Cat? Can you guys help me understand why my cat does this strange habit?

I look after this stray cat,male, which is aroung 4-5 years. It keeps running up to me and rubbing itself no matter how long even for hours!It follows me wherever I go unless I enter my house and as soon as I stop it starts purring and rubbing again!I am not at all complainig about this show of affection but it does intrigue me... :P guys, anyone know why this strange thing happens?

The cat likes you and seeks your attention. Just like people, they become attached (and conditioned) to those they can trust.Besides, I'll bet you feed it... :P

i see the irony, darth vader being cutesy with a mild-mannered cat. B) but good for you, other cats tend to scratch at their "slaves" (as opposed to dogs and their "masters"). maybe your cat finds a father figure in you, and that you're all warm and fuzzy so it enjoys your company. as for a scientific explanation, can't say i have one. maybe they just are that way by nature (i wouldn't know, cats scram away when they feel my presence. :P).

This cat loves you and he is scent marking you. Watch closely next time and I'll bet he is rubbing his face on you. He figures that other cats will not come to you if he claims you in this manner. He loves you and is laying claim to you. Here are some excerpts from articles about this behavior.

Cats possess scent glands in many parts of their bodies: their tails, paws, forehead, lips, and so on. These scent glands are used every time that a cat wants to mark his territory. When cats rub against a person or a thing, they exchange scent, leaving and picking up scent on each interaction. This is an important cat habit. If you suddenly decide to change all of your furniture, your cat will not recognize his own place and will likely attempt to mark what is new.

......You may have noticed your cat rub against you and lick you after you get out of the shower. Your cat is scent marking you, a sign that lets others who you are and that your cat owns you. Cats also do scent marking on objects. This scent marking is a cat's way of letting other cats know that the thing (or area) is his/hers.

Be happy in the thought that this little critter has claimed you as his own.

serverph, I didnt mean any irony. I just liked the name so I used it!Guys, all your advices can apply to my cay especially yours Mich !It is a very territorial cat! My father's car and my scooter are both that particular cats! :P And yes, it does rub its face against me!jlhaslip, you are also right ! I do feed it when it purrs and cuddles me! :D Perhaps thats why every cat I meet likes to come near me and rub itself on my legs!Just yesterday, one of them jumped on my legs and lay down there till I got up! :PB) B) I love cats!

Notice from rvalkass:
Merged double post.

It's a cat question. The cat(not really mine) will poop in front of the door every now and then, weeks in between then a couple days in a row. I clean her litter box several times a day so not a problem there. I change her litter out less than every two weeks. I'm looking after the cat for a friend that is out of town for two years, I have had her for about six months. She has been doing this for about three months.She is not an out side cat. When she was born her and the rest of litter caught some virus and she was the only survivor. I have not noticed anything change outside or inside to cause such a behavior. Because she is four years old and half retarded it is next to impossable to train her. Sometimes at night I can hear her pawing at the floor like outside cats do. I have about had it with this cat, please help save a friendship!

-question by Saintkingdom