xisto Community
odomike

Windows Or Linux. Undecided Now! Help Me. At a cross-road between them.

I use Windows but I have Ubuntu dual boot.I love Ubuntu but Windows is annoying and certain tools only work on there.I'd totally go for ubuntu if you only want to do simple things such as surfing, webdesign and chat etc.Although installing Java on your Ubuntu operating system can be a bother.If you don't already know here's how.DON'T download java from it's website!You have to go into add/remove programs and get all of the necessary files by searching 'java'Get the 'core' and the other files should automatically follow.Then restart your browser and Java should work.

Although installing Java on your Ubuntu operating system can be a bother.

Only if you have 64-bit Ubuntu, the 32-bit version will work fine. However, all you have to do is install 32-bit Firefox on 64-bit Ubuntu and you're set.

well id say linux ill give ya a little info on it and where i got the info.

What is Linux? Linux is a Unix-like operating system originally developed by Linus Torvalds in 1991. To get the whole story, see our page devoted entirely to this question. [ return ]Can I run applications for MS Windows on Linux?
The short answer to this is: no, not automatically and not directly. That is to say, Microsoft Windows and Linux applications cannot run the same applications because they are not designed in the same way. However, there are some ways to run programs for Microsoft Windows on Linux using emulators and other means. If you need/want to run an application designed for Microsoft Windows on Linux, you might want to check out the following applications:

WINE (free)
Crossover products (commercial)
Win4Lin (commercial)
VMWare (commercial)

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

nice... I never thought that MacOS would ever have been easier to hack than windows. I guess it is because of all the experience that microsoft has gained from billions of vulnerabilities it has overcome. I bet the other operating systems dont count with that experience. Im also a user that will be running both Operating Systems, such as Linux and windows, but windows will be xp, I dont really want to encounter problems with my music production software. I already have enough with it. Linux will be used as my regular office/web programming and internet browsing environment, while xp will not have internet so that the music production applications run smoothly.I still use Pentium 4, I dont think that I will be upgrading to a multi core processor pc, since I dont really thing 2, 4 or 8 cores will be good enough for multicore applications. I hope this computer lasts long enough until I need a new one and there are pcs with 32+ cores. (which is about the amount of processes my pc currently has.

I'd say go for Linux... You can use WINE for those applications, though, I wonder why would you use Encarta, when you have a bunch of online encyclopedias, that are constantly updated...My friend ran several Windows programs on WINE, and he actualy noticed some of the programs ran faster in WINE, than on Windows :)So, my advice is, go for Linux...Much safer, much more secure, and at least, you don't have to worry about ad-ware and other crap that Windows contracts...

Well, i think you should use both. i use both and i'm very happy with my decision.Why do i use both?Well, my preference is linux, but i play games. Games that don't run on linux and i need windows. Another reason is that i am a Vb programmer, an addict one, and i don't want to learn another language compatible with linux before i mastered vb.How do i use both?Personally i use grub to change between OS, but there are also another programs for that matter. (ie. lilo)~GreetzJo?o Lopes

Well I would choose linux in my eyes. It is open source so bugs and errors get fixed very quickly. Most of the programs are free and can achieve the same results as applications for windows that cost. Now there are many distros for linux, and they break down into 2 main GUIs (Graphical User Interfaces). These are Gnome and KDE.The best one of these is Gnome. It is easy to use and much simple. However if you are wanting your computer to look more like XP with the start button and all, choose KDE. Different programs work on different GUIs, so choose wisely, however there is normally a port between the 2.Now also there is different Distros. If you are wanting a simple one, use Ubuntu for Gnome and Kbuntu for KDE. These are free on the internet, just google it, not like Microsoft who charge a lot of money.Linux can run on the lowest spec computers so it makes it very good for that old PC in the attic for instance.Now if you want effects like Windows Vista you can use a free program called Compiz Fusion or another program called Beryl. I will be making a tutorial on this very shortly.For music I use Limewire. They have released a version for Linux, so that works very well. Or you could use Frostwire, which is free and works well too. The choice is yours.

In his case, I believe you can completely transfer 100% to linux! Here's your solutions:
1. MS Encarta -> Wikipedia.org
2. iMesh -> FrostWire for linux (so much faster)
3. iLumina Bible -> BibleGateway.com

There you go. now move to linux! LOL

will thanks alot

and also

2. iMesh -> amule (so much faster)

i don't know the rest

but only one soft i cant find replace for it so far is roboform

i fund few but non of them is flexible and easy to use like it