xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
coolcat50

Windows Xp Or Vista?

Okay, one more: I predict Vista would be as a failure as Windows ME. Do you remember how long that edition lasted? Only a year, at best.

X2, buddy. X2. :) I feel the same way about the Vista/ME relation.

In my opinion, Windows XP Professional is the most stable and most functional Windows platform out there. The only problem with sticking to what works is that there is no future for it... Vista is Microsoft's flagship and they're running the show from there. You will need Vista to run Halo 2 as well as any games that have DirectX10 support, as I don't see any economic sense for Microsoft to enable Direct10 support for Windows XP.

The service pack for Vista is slowly approaching... I believe its release will be in January 2008, if I've read and heard correctly. Maybe then Vista will be viable for actual use... and only the Ultimate or Home Premium versions are worth getting. And as usual, Microsoft sucks consumers into throwing even more money into an operating system to snag the essentials and utilities that should be in every one of the variants.

If you look at the Vista variant comparison chart on the Microsoft site, you'll know what I mean.

there are many improvements since XP version.

Do tell me about these improvements in Vista over XP.

You will need Vista to run Halo 2 as well as any games that have DirectX10 support, as I don't see any economic sense for Microsoft to enable Direct10 support for Windows XP.

Right, but 3rd parties have already started working on DX10 for non-Vista operating systems. Therefore Vista probably isn't required in the future, and I foreseen this ever since M$ was trying to convince everybody that Vista was soon to be required (for gaming).
And who's says that Wine and Cedega for Linux won't be able to support DX10 games in the future?
Edited by dre (see edit history)

Well, I need a semi-cheap laptop since I don't have a job nor could I get one. I must rely off my upcoming birthday and following Christmas to pay for the laptop. I was thinking of getting one off Ebay or a used store instead of a new one specifically because of Vista's high need for RAM and it's infamy. It used to not be able to run Guild Wars, but I do not know if currently does. My Halo playing will mostly be online, but I will be doing campaign also. Note that I have Halo 1 not 2 on PC. Well, I also plan on using graphics editing programs like GIMP and most likely a compiler for C and C++. I think I will get XP and upgrade to Vista once it is all fixed up. I know Bill Gates is trying to give himself a monopoly so Vista might become worse. I myself am not a particuraly "advanced" user, but I'm not a beginner either. Well, there is a little more background info on my OS needs.

Lol, I also agree that vista will most probably end up as windows ME. I mean, windows xp works perfectly fine in most computers, and if you really want to upgrade just because of the visual appearance then go buy yourself aston shell or windows blinds. It will be healthier for your pc since you will require less ram for the OS and it would also leave your wallet happier. All I have heard about vista are problems at the moment, it will probably take a couple of months for everything to be worked out for it. Not many programs have been upgraded to vista yet.

It's all down to your preference as far as GUI goes. I prefer something basic but nice (E.G XP with a nice desktop image and maybe a skin or something) I have heard to run games vista sort of 'unloads' alot of itself from the memory to make room for the games (provided you have enough)

I'll would say i had enough of both OS, now i turned to MAC OS X, it is definitely the best OS in the world right now. They are developing their OS with true understand of user's needs (not blaming their users when something went wrong), take iphone for example how their engineer really fill all the gaps of what other mobile phones are lacking and more.

I would have to say for me Vista has to wait few more months or up to a year till I would use it!There are way too many bugs and not enough programs that support it, once it gets as stable as XP then I would consider it! =)

I think it depends on how powerful your computer is, and what you use your computer for...But home basic (vista home basic) includes virtually no applications - as far as im aware, not even a media player!But ultimate edition boasts many features that XP professional doesnt include.But if you consider using vista, i would recomend that your computer is well above the recomended specifications (atlease 1.5gb of RAM) as it uses a lot of memory, just to run the opperating system itself.I found it cane take around 10 minutes to boot vista home basic on a slow laptop!Infact, when vista was first released. Only 20% if computers could run it without upgrade - that just proves how much memory and other specifications it requires!Yes - i think it truly could be a market disaster equal to windows ME...but vista is slowly becoming standard, but XP is still wayyyyy ahead of it!

You should go XP for both because vista still has problems that need solving and many games cannot use vista, xp is fast versitile and supports many games, pretty much all games. The XP has many functions that can be applied to it, even vista features can be applied to an XP, the looks, the games, the components. choose what you would rather get, XP or Vista

My sister has a laptop with vista on it.... Its quite smooth running but thats all i can say about vista in general. I can't really comment on how well it performs on the laptop. Vista in my opinion is still developing (more things are gradually switching to support vista now) it's having a slow migration from Xp to Vista and slow could mean any long term period. Slowly applications are begging to support vista but not only software, hardware as well - such as graphics cards etc.my opinion would be to stick with Xp for a while if some of the well used things you own aren't compatible with Vista ;)

Edited by litchy (see edit history)

Vista for looking pretty, XP for real users (well actually gentoo for real users, mac os x for artists/home users and xp for the rest)Leave Vista for now, wait untill your next computer, after this. Then get it, it will be a better experience ;)

Unless yourcomputeris VERY fast- say 2.4gb dual coreprocessor, with 2.5gb of RAM.I would recomend XP. Because VISTA uses up so much of the system resources, it slows down your compuyter considerably.So if you want to run high performance and graphics games,you want the fastest PC you can get. and XP will slow down your computer a lot less than vista.

I'll would say i had enough of both OS, now i turned to MAC OS X, it is definitely the best OS in the world right now. They are developing their OS with true understand of user's needs (not blaming their users when something went wrong), take iphone for example how their engineer really fill all the gaps of what other mobile phones are lacking and more.

Yes i agree with you, I've had enough with Microsoft. You have made a good choice going to MAC. They made their own operating system and still use the same kind of ram, processor, and hard drive space than microsoft does with their windows and MAC is way more stable. Very Agreeable lol.