xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

The Human Appendix Might Have A Use After All

Hummmm....well, I've always heard the apendix secreated an enzyme that helped digest raw meat. And, while some of us may be more civilized than others, not everyone prefers their steaks well done, and then there's always that sushi stuff, so if ya'll don't mind, I'm hanging on to my apendix. I like my steaks "mooing and kicking" thank you. And since I give my apendix plenty to do, maybe it will just stay healthy.

Do you think this will be an organ that people in the future will stop having? I too, also wonder if it really generates good germs than how can people live without it. Maybe those good germs arent needed that much, I wonder why people's appendix gets inflamed. I would agree with what another person said about that maybe the good germs were used to help humans eat raw meat or something, and now they are no longer used.

Hi,Yes I can agree that it took some time for the function to be found but like they say "Better Late Than Never" . Anyway.... Saint Michael and hitmanblood gave good explanations for the function of the appendix..I guess when raw food was ingested by man, the enzymes were not strong enough therefore the appendix would produce bacteria that would help in digestion. But when food was being cooked, half of the digestion was already being done so there was no need for the appendix and it became a vestigial organ

The Human Appendix Might Have A Use After AllThe Human Appendix Might Have A Use After All

Oh, yes, I strongly believe the appendix have a function regarding digestion of the food, we humans consume, which is very diverse, from where I come from. Actually, when it's not there, the body has to compensate in the more subtle digestion - somehow - and, perhaps to the rest of the people, in the world, who has had theirs removed - this is easily done (?), but in my case, I constantly feel the lack something, and ever since I had mine removed, I have been trying to "reactivate" it, I believe, and in the same time, help my body digest the food, I eat - by running, for instance, or doing stomach excercises.

I believe, it has changed my "metabolism", to use a hi-tech word, and, that I cannot eat everything, I want to, if I shall "stay sharp", in my mind. It oftens snap me out of concentration - or rather, when digesting is "loose", so are your thoughts. Thats, what I have concluded, so far. Like, you have a good feeling, when you feel really "saturated", or full, you take more chances in life - and it is EXACTLY that feeling, I have been missing, for MANY years now. Had the subject in title removed  23 years ago.

Perhaps, other people can't eat everything, they want to, either, but my food digestion is somehow malfunctioning - meaning, that often the food processes right through my system, much too fast! The red meat from the above commets, are good examples. (Or half cooked, anyway) I try to compensate now, with milk acid bacteria pills, for instance, and herbal products to stop the production, in the right place, the cecum. (I feel, it helps a bit, anyway!)

If I could choose (I could not, as I followed the advice of my parents, and, those in the neighbourhood, who believed knew), I would have done much more, to fight the appenticitis, I had, many years ago, in the age of 12, for instance by stomach excercises. The question is, why do appenticitis occur in the first place, is something stuck within, the rumor is, that food sometimes can move itself into this organ? Can this then "manually" be freed, by specifically targeted excercise? Who knows. Or, with antibiotics, and this, in combination? Would have wanted to try this, before going to the hospital, anyway.

Hope, I am not sounding too weird, but I'll even go to the point, of wishing, that I could have this organ retransplantet. Has any of you heard the slightest of this procedure, do not hesitate to write. Anyway, according to nowadays practice, this do not seem to be a possability, in any near future - if ever ? So, do not know, if that wish ever will come through, but that will not keep me from wishing it! Take care, live long, and prosper!

-reply by OneSmallAppendixForMan

commentThe Human Appendix Might Have A Use After All

To those of you, who still got it: Hang on to it. I haven't got mine, it was removed about 23 years ago - and yes, I have trouble in my stomach, or intestines, to really digest food, and have that "relaxing" feeling, when you have eaten, and just wan't to lean back... That is one way to put it. I run a lot, my system tries to fight for a missing part, so to speak - taking a lot of  stomach bendings, almost subconscoiuos, at times, when I have eaten. Also, I cannot mix different types of meat, like fish and cow - it makes me feel nauscious.

If I could choose, I would wan't it back, like in no time.

But, alas, I cannot.  Don't know, if anyone still reads this, but, if you do, do take precautions, and take care of it - if possible. Respect the signals, our stomach sends you, when digesting. T'thats all, folks!

-reply by Lars Jensen

Living Longer as a species.The Human Appendix Might Have A Use After All

One of the things we constantly hear is that modern science will help us live longer.

The prior blog comment was completed with a wish for that scientific success; longer life spans.

The counter issue to longer life spans and healthier lives is more people on the planet ! ! !

More mouths to feed, more trash to clean up, more population peaceful co-existence in the face of limited resources conflict to deal with. 

We only have a few years to figure out the pollution and exploitation balance...Or it will likely be too late for this species...Maybe ice cap melting and worldwide flooding (70% of population lives in cities by the sea that are low lying areas) and the famine and disruption that follows will reduce the planet's population issue...If we're not smart enough to pre-act to live smarter on this Earth.