xisto Community
soleimanian

Windows Xp Doesn't Recognize Your Computer's Dvd-rom Or Cd-rom?

Windows XP doesn't recognize your computer's DVD-ROM or CD-ROM?

Some times after installing Microsoft Windows XP, it doesn't recognize your DVD-ROM or CD-ROM. To resolve this problem do following;

1- Click Start Menu > Run > type "regedit" and press OK to open Windows Registry Editor.

2- Go to following Address:

H_L_M\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{3d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
3- In Registry menu select "Export Registry File" to make a Backup from your registry entry.

4- If there is "UpperFilters" or " LowerFilters" keys, delete them.

5- Close Windows Registry Editor and reset your Computer.

6- Go to Control Panel > click System > go to HardWare tab and click on Device Manager button.

7- In Device Manager list, click on Device marked with "?" , from Action Menu select Uninstall and press ok to uninstall device.

8- From Action menu select "Scan for hardware changes" to Scan your system and install DVD-ROM or CD-ROM.

HMMM interesting I cannot find this one. That is I cannot find registry about which you are speaking could you please offer some more help?????And if this works which I cannot confirm you could post it as tutorial.

Thanks. Success reinstall. But my regedit key is {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
-Alecindro

That could be because that key is a GUID (Globally Unique IDentifier), and that different versions of Windows generate that GUID in a different manner. Registry value (Default) for every key in Class should specify the class name. I use Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2, and have the same GUID/regedit key as you.
Edited by delta78561 (see edit history)

That happened to me. I just returned my laptop and got a new one haha. Funny thing was, though...The new one was faulty aswell, with a different problem...Then I got this one and the volume scroll thingy doesn't work lol.I guess that's what you get for being cheap.

You should never have to do this hack if you install windows correctly. As in, you do a full system format with an install. You might get this if you do a repair install or an upgrade because it does not fully erase your registry, etc. This is why a clean install is always recommended. Not only will it increase performance of your computer because the registry is clean, but it also will fix tons of issues that your system has that you do not know about. This is also the reason why a clean install is recommended to be done every 6 months to a year. Even with a good registry cleaner, etc. it is still recommended you do this. I know it can be pain but if you do it a few times you get a system going. It takes me maybe 1 day of installing stuff to be fully back to my system if that long. Plus, most of that time is my computer doing work and not me.

DVD Drives not being recognized - also!Windows Xp Doesn't Recognize Your Computer's Dvd-rom Or Cd-rom?Just wanted to add that this procedure worked for me also... 
So thanks. 
Others that have this problem can trust it, just find the correct registry key. 

-reply by XPProAtHome

Most problems i had with detection were bios related. i usually just disconnect drives and reboot into bios with only one device connected at a time to find conflicts, i had a dvd that when connected my hdd would not apear, ended up swapping it into another pc and havent had a problem for months

I had this problem some time in the not-too-long-ago past, and the suggested fix worked (although it was from google and a different website to which I came across it). There weren't any !'s in the device manager, but this registry hack managed to do the trick.

cd drive not recognizedWindows Xp Doesn't Recognize Your Computer's Dvd-rom Or Cd-rom?

Incredible! Thank you for your post. Although key was different on my machine, I found it and followed your instructions. CD drive now shows up. Thank you.

-reply by John

It worked fine on my netbook w/ Windows XP home edition sp3. I went to windows support, they guide you until the part you have to delete the filters and that's it (It didn't work that way). I follow the following steps given by this forum (uninstall, scan) and I just wanna say thanks a lot.

Hello,I have searched your forum and found several suggestions that should have resolved my issue however it has not.about a year ago both my dvd rw drives just stopped working. I tried to replace my drives with new ones on 3 occassions bringing me to my most recent endevor which was to overhall my system and upgrade nearly everything except the OS and some hard-drives. Here are the current issues I have:when i initially boot-up it only shows my boot drive and one other hard drive. I can quickly resolve this by uninstalling the second IDE Channels (there are two). I then rescan for new hardware changes which shows my other two hard drives and both my Optiarc drives appear but with a yellow upside down triangle with an ! in the center for the optiarc drives. I have tried several things to include deleting the upper and lower filter to no avail. I continue to get a code 19 error when i do anything with these. In addition once I restart my computer after uninstalling the Optiarc drive and deleting the filters i repeat the issue with the secondary IDE Channels again. Should be noted i am running an Asus M4A785-M motherboard, AMD Phenom X4 quad core chip. I am running 4 SATA hard drives and 2 SATA Optiarc AD-7260S. As mentioned above I am running Window's XP as well. I am also considering making this a Dual O/S system which would likely resolve the issues on another drive with Windows 7 but i'd also like them resolved with XP. I don't want tor wipe my OS because i have software on there I cannot replace and I don't have the installs for them anymore. I have also uninstalled Roxio as I read that could have caused the problem. I assume the first step is to resolve the Secondary IDE Channel issue permanantly first then move on to the DVD-RW issues

See if anyone can help me with this one...First ino:Computre - Sony Vaio RB40OS - Windows home SP3, Clean installDrive in Question - NEC DVD+RW ND-2100ADAction Taken:Tried Reg hack, installed all drivers I could download, swaped out mutipul Optical drives, swaped out mutipul cables, no joy...What I know:Bios detecs it, can boot from the drive (thats how I installed windows in the first place), windows "Device Manager" will only see it if I install the "sony DVD click" driver, but only the NEC and with an error.I am at a loss as what to do...

See if anyone can help me with this one...First ino:
Computre - Sony Vaio RB40
OS - Windows home SP3, Clean install
Drive in Question - NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD

Action Taken:
Tried Reg hack, installed all drivers I could download, swaped out mutipul Optical drives, swaped out mutipul cables, no joy...

What I know:
Bios detecs it, can boot from the drive (thats how I installed windows in the first place), windows "Device Manager" will only see it if I install the "sony DVD click" driver, but only the NEC and with an error.

I am at a loss as what to do...

I have tried EVERYTHING. Finally...finally, I can now see my DVD drive on My Computer!! I was nervous going into the registry, but I'll be dog if it didn't work! Thank you soooo much!!! Now...I will explore further into your site. My computer doesn't find anything when I go to start>search. I see the dog sitting in the lefthand corner, but everything else is blank. My computer will not update with Windows Updater. It says the automatic updates are off and to go to system in the control panel and click on automatic settings ON, but they are already on... that's just the beginning of the stuff that's happening...
Edited by moderator (see edit history)