xisto Community
varalu

Gmail -- New Features From Me I have some new ideas/suggestions for gmail that will make it still be

I have some ideas/suggestions to the gmail team. Actually i even posted some of these in the suggestion link...but they are yeat to be listed. May be if many start posting such suggestions it will get listed.

1. Timed Messages

This i guess will be useful to many people. Here you can draft a mail, schedule it to be sent at a particular time and Gmail should take care of sending messages at that particular time. This will be very useful in case of meeting commitments even if you are offline which is desirable in many cases, Sending birthday wishes, anniversaries... etc.

2. Send Business Card

Selecting some or many contacts and send as a mail. This is very useful because there is no such option as to send selected mail ID's to people. Export also won't work for selected contacts. It always exports all the contacts in the book. Else it can be had like selecting some contacts and exporting which is a good feature not present now. This will be more useful if you are having groups and want to send some ID's to some people.

3. Make selected messages public

This i guess is one great feature that can be introduced. It is known that there are many useful and really meaningful information is being shared by millions of people through mails. So, there could be an option provided to make selected messages public and searchable by Search Engines (Google in this case). Also mails are from humans and are being changed, reviewed etc so reliability is more in this case. This feature will be very useful in case of Image Search a lot as there are tonnes of images rolling out of mails every day.

Have more ideas??

Pros -- Cons to the above ideas??

Add your comments.

Notice from rvalkass:

Anything not written specifically for the forums needs to be quoted. Even if you wrote it originally you need to QUOTE it. Copied from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

well, i guess sending business card is a very nice feature for google... like in yahoo.. they business cards, greeting cards and other card presets.. just select what the occassion is and puff! you have a cool msg to your friends...timed messages? maybe helps a bit.

I like the timed messages alot, those would definitly be helpful for those with a bad memory for birthdays :)Business cards could be helpful too I guess; however, the public emails would probably provoke even more google haters to complain about bad google privacy protection.

I like the timed messages alot, those would definitly be helpful for those with a bad memory for birthdays biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot... :)

Business cards could be helpful too I guess; however, the public emails would probably provoke even more google haters to complain about bad google privacy protection.

Ya... there are some disadvantages in making messages public, but that again depends on the discretion of the user. There is an option like that in googlegroups where the discussions can be made searchable. Also the amount of useful information in mail discussions among people be it technology, news, information etc. is very high and reliable.

But what so ever i have to agree with you... if at all google thinks of doing that...it would be a mess...
Edited by varalu (see edit history)

Hurray.....

I have got one more idea. I just don know where i get these weird things in my head... May be because of prolonged usage of gmail.

1. Forward all selected messages.

This is like you select many messages at a time and forward them to a mail ID. This again is only very specific. But we will find it very useful if it comes.

Example 1: you want to include some people in the conversation that has been taking place over some time...In this case you can select all the conversations that took place and forward it to them.

Example 2: Also there is one more use (i say...). This will help you in taking backups of important mails... (I know...this is a crude method). Like you can select messages and forward to someother ID of yours for backup purpose...

So..start thinking. You will find new uses for this feature. And also i guess this won't be that difficult to implement.

Add your suggestions.

Edited by varalu (see edit history)

My favourite of those is definately the timed messages. I've wished many a time that I could set a message to be sent at a certain if, if I have to go somewhere, for instance.My next favourite is the second one, the business or contact cards sender, if you need to send somebody, for instance a colleague, someone else's details then that would be fantastic, especially if it offered the reciever an option to add to contacts.

I happened to open my gmail account,today. I noticed the new group chat feature , they have put up. Hadn't they put up that extra feature for chat today, that would have been the first point i would have suggested gogle.yet, there seems to be lots of areas to be improved.Folders:Oh, i miss my 'bad' old yahoo mail. Bad luck for me, yahoo mail's spam fighter seems to be practically useless in my case. Due to heavy spamming , i had to move to gmail. Gmail had almost everything yahoo offered, and even better. But, i do miss my folders feature on yahoo. Google suggests users to use labels instead of folders to manage mails . But, i see labels as , more of a logical way to organize e-mails. Organizing my mails with yahoo's folder option provided me , a visual way to manage my mails. I had a way to put all trivial e-mails in an appropriate folder. And when i open my inbox, i got to see only those mails which were important. But in gmail, there is not such an option available yet. I hope they bring it out soon.

I like all of the first suggestions, and I was going to suggest folders as techclave did.That is the ONLY thing that Yahoo had, and I still use it b/c it's my subscription emailAnytime I need to "sign up" for something, i use the yahoo email.Important stuff, I keep to GMAIL. Yahoo needs to rent GMAIL's spam filter because I probably get 1 a month with GMAIL.Granted I have had Yahoo longer, but I click on SPAM button, and the same person will get back through the next week into the inbox. It's like a routine with Yahoo every morning, I open up mail "SPAM" at least 3 in my INBOX and read the real ones left.Anyway, back to GMAIL, sorry, I would really like to publish some emails, especially the Chain Letters. I don't think it would be that hard, they already do it for Documents, Photos and Calendar.Plus it would be fun to publish stuff people tell you to keep a secret, hehehehe, just kidding.Anyway, keep up the good suggestions.

Folders:Google suggests users to use labels instead of folders to manage mails . But, i see labels as , more of a logical way to organize e-mails. Organizing my mails with yahoo's folder option provided me , a visual way to manage my mails. I had a way to put all trivial e-mails in an appropriate folder. And when i open my inbox, i got to see only those mails which were important. But in gmail, there is not such an option available yet.

I hope they bring it out soon.

You can get the functionality of folders in Gmail by doing a small setting. You should add a filter, then whenever a mail comes from a specified source or with a particular subject then it can be skipped from inbox, added the desired label and archived. So that it will not be shown in the Inbox but will be present at the specified folder.

Try it!
If still have some problem ask me I will post the step by step method with snapshot.

hehe I remember this topic when it wzas first active or there is some similar topic of this sort. I do not quite know whether or not I said this already but you can write your own addons extensions and other sort of usuful programs if you know bits and bytes of javascript and understand how hall thing work. You should read the book called Gmail Hack it will prove to be quite usuful and helpful. So eventually you could add all those thing you miss. P.S. there is site where you can write your suggestuoins to the google teams and they take it really seriously. Good luck with hacking gmail -> note that hacking here means not as making trouble but instead working with code. hopefully you got me there.