xisto Community
sheepdog

Dog Questions Ask me anything about dogs

Lots of different things come into play here. First off, what kind of dog is Dixie? One of the duties of our friend the dog is to protect it's owner and it's home. He may be doing the job he was bred to do. As dogs have a lot better hearing than we do, they will be alert to things we don't hear, and they want to warn us that something might be up. One thing that can be the cause of excessive barking is boredum, or lack of exercise. Does he get out much to run and play? Age also makes a difference, younger dogs, (just like youger kids) have a lot more energy than us old coggers. Also, how long have you had him? If he is fairly new to you and your neighborhood, it may just be the strangeness of the situation that is setting him off. He could be barking for attention, if you spend a lot of time with him when he starts barking. (by trying to quite him down) Try a different form of disipline, when he starts barking put him in a dog crate in a quite room and ignore him for a few minutes. Doesn't need to be very long, 10 minutes is fine, but don't take him out until he has not barked for a few minutes. Reward not barking, instead of barking. There are lots of ways to disipline bad behavior, try several things to see what works best for your dog. The penny can trick works well for some dogs. Put a few pennies in a metal soda can and tape over the hole. Shake it or even throw it at the dog when he barks and say NO! There are such devices as anti barking colars that deliver a mild shock when the dog barks, but I would certainly try milder corrections before resorting to anything that extreme. Do make sure he gets lots of exercise first of all.

Oh, I see. Well, Dixie's really energetic, and I guess, in his own way, protective of his masters. As a matter of fact, he probably IS barking for attention. Yeah, we have a big backyard, and he loves to run around and play in it. Occasionally, we'll take him for a walk. And we've had him for a bit more than 2 years.

Alright, thank you for all the help! This gives me ideas.. Heh heh..

Just kidding. Thank you again!!!!!

My sisters dog, Luna, which are a golden retirever, got sick when eating pineapples, she got fever and was down for a week.Worried she called to vets and they confirmed that its common for lots of dogs, getting sick when eating pineapples.So thats my first question, what in the pineapples making the dog sick?A new drill I found out by my dog breeder, that Xylitol is toxic for a dog. After an half hour after eating it, the dog starts puking and becoming dull. Even get cramp and becoming unconscious. Have anyone read anything about dogs and artificial, non-saccharide sweetener.Btw, Nice topic!

Well, you've got me on that one. :rolleyes: I haven't a clue what substance in pineapples would be toxic to dogs. But I guess we'd all better start being more careful about leaving any fruit salad out where our dogs can get to it from the sounds of it. First grapes and now pineapples! As far as artificial sweeteners, I don't thing they are good for anybody, dog or human. Every few years they come out with a new one and when the new one comes out they decide the previous one causes cancer.

Edited by sheepdog (see edit history)

I have so many questions so many times... :rolleyes: So my precious ball of fat aka my dog seems to be... pregnant. Now my aunt and my uncle tried to keep my aunt's dog away from her, but it seems recently her stomach has swelled and she has become more "developed" if you get what I am saying? And I could have sworn that when I was petting her I felt something move. Anyway, I don't care a whole lot if she's pregnant, but I just am worried she is too old. She's around 10 and pretty hefty for her size (she is a dachshund btw), she's had two litters before, the first little she only gave birth to two puppies, and the second litter 6 (then 4, two died). Aside from her weight she isn't too bad of a dog, I mean when it's cold she gets a little slower and lazy, but she's not like falling over with arthritis you know? I just want to make sure it's okay for her to be having babies so late.

I have so many questions so many times... :)
So my precious ball of fat aka my dog seems to be... pregnant. Now my aunt and my uncle tried to keep my aunt's dog away from her, but it seems recently her stomach has swelled and she has become more "developed" if you get what I am saying? And I could have sworn that when I was petting her I felt something move. Anyway, I don't care a whole lot if she's pregnant, but I just am worried she is too old. She's around 10 and pretty hefty for her size (she is a dachshund btw), she's had two litters before, the first little she only gave birth to two puppies, and the second litter 6 (then 4, two died). Aside from her weight she isn't too bad of a dog, I mean when it's cold she gets a little slower and lazy, but she's not like falling over with arthritis you know? I just want to make sure it's okay for her to be having babies so late.

10 is really pretty old for dog to have pups, it's the equivilent of a 70 year old woman having a baby, but they can and I'm betting yours may well be. Also the fact that she is overweight will cause her problems too. Do you know what kind of a dog she is bred to? Hopefully something small. Conception rates on the older dogs are not good, so she may only have one or 2 pups, but the problem there is that with only one pup in her, the pup will have unlimited room to grow and may get too large for her to have naturally, she may requite a c-section. Those are fairly common in Dachshunds anyway, but hopefully since she has had pups before, she will be able to deliver ok. If you see obvious signs of hard labor without pups comming do not wait too long to get her to the vet. Also, quite often the milk supply in older females is poor, contaminated, or non existant. If she delivers a live pup, you may have to bottle feed it. Not an easy task, newborns need feed every 2 hours around the clock.
Good luck, I hope she is ok. Just let me know if you have other questions.

PLEASE

I really need to figure out a way to keep up my hosting credits. Since I am brain dead about computers, school, relationships, sports, games, etc, would really like to see more activity in this pet catagory.

I got my first dog when I was less than 1 year old. And since I have now passed the 1/2 century mark, I think I may of learned a thing or 2 about dogs. So ask me anything. Really. I probably know it. Help me out here.

Okay, I'll ask you a question. I have a female Chihuahua who's about 8yrs. old. She's always been prone to breathing problems, as I know a lot of little dogs are, but they seem to be getting worse with her age. So, my question is, can cafeine help a dogs asthmatic attack the same way it will a human's? I heard that if you feed your dog a little bit of coffee when they are having trouble breathing that it will help open up their airways. It would be awesome if you have heard anything like that, or maybe something else that is supposed to work. I'd hate to wake up one night and watch my dog die because she can't breathe and I can't help her. Basically, any help would be appreciated.

Don't think I'd do caffeine on a Chihuahau, they are pretty shakey anyway. I don't know of any studies on the effects of caffeine on dogs. Age often brings on severity in minor problems that would not bother a young dog. Have you ever determined why exactly she has had breathing problems in the past? Some dogs, Shih Tzu's in particular, often suffer from pinched naries, which is easily corrected by a quick snip to the base of the nose to make the nasal passage larger. One thing you may want to do is make sure she is current on her kennel cough vaccintation. It will help keep her immune system stay in tip top shape to help fight off respitory infections. If it is congestion just in the nasal passages, what I have done is to put a tiny drop of nasal spray on a Q tip and swab just inside the nose. You don't want to actually put drops in the nose on a tiny dog. A dab of Vix on the nose can help some too, but do not do it frequently. You might need to have the vet check and make sure she does not have a growth in her nasal passages.

Dog gave birth 2 days ago...

Dog Questions

My dog gave birth outside 2 days ago. I moved her inside the house. Shes in her own little room. Any time one of her puppies gets a inch away from her she whines and cries. Now she is trying to move the puppies to a different room. Why is this? She is whining so much its driving me crazy. She looks so tired, her head keeps drooping but she wont sleep. I'm kinda getting worried about her. This is her third litter and she was ok with the first 2 but now shes worrying me with this one. Any answers on what is wrong?

-question by Tina

My shih tzu just had puppies

Dog Questions

My shih tzu just had puppies, the next day after she had pups she got this big bump on the side of one of the nipples by the end of the night puss started coming out, but then last night she had two more I put a cold rag over it and then it bursted puss came out again. What should I do this has never happened to me is the milk no good or what please reply asap??????????????????

-reply by Christine

my dog is not eating and vommiting

Dog Questions

I had a question my dog is not eating,and vomitting,and feels tired..I was wondering why does that happened

-reply by kike

Sorry I missed your questions, I haven't been in here for awhile. Sorry about your dog. Sounds like she has mastitis. This is a serious infection in the milk glands. However, in many cases, the infection will be limited to only certain teats, and she may have good milk in the others for the pups. She will definatly need antibiotics, and it helps to keep the infected gland milked out. Be careful about removing the milk, do not let it come in contact with anything, especially her other uninfected teats, or your hands either for that matter.

how can my dog got more milkDog Questions

my dog is a yorkshire terrier she just gave birth 3 days ago,now she loose appetite she got 4 cute little puppies what kind of food we are going to give to her to make her strong and have more milk? pls help me

terry

how can my dog got more milk

Dog Questions

<p> my dog is a yorkshire terrier she just gave birth 3 days ago,now she loose appetite she got 4 cute little puppies what kind of food we are going to give to her to make her strong and have more milk? pls help me</p>

<p><em> terry </em></p>

Milk production in dogs is hugely dependant on the intake of quality food. Even though many dogs are geneticly predisposed to being better mild producers than others, they have to take in a quality food in order to produce milk.

Quality dog kibble is important. Don't just go by the price tag. Read the ingredient label. The food needs to contain meat of some sort as a first ingredient, not 3rd or 4th. Fat content is important to milk production also, and to help your female maintan at least a decent body weight. (nearly all dogs that are good milkers will become emancipated during lactation)

I like to supplement my females with goat milk when it is availble and they are nursing a large litter. Another good trick is to offer her fresh, RAW meat treats. Chicken is usually the least expensive and works very well with helping milk production. A small dog will do well with a single chicken leg. Feed it raw, bone and all. Cooked bones can become brittle and splinter causeing problems, but raw bones can be chewed up nicely by your average canine. Bones are an excellent sourse of calcium, also important for milk production.