xisto Community
sheepdog

Dog Questions Ask me anything about dogs

If I call my dog by another animals name, what changes will it have on its characteristics?

Well, I don't think you need to worry too much about that one. Most dogs don't recognize exact human words, they rely more on voice tones, and body language than specific words. For example, if you said to your dog, "come here you really stupid ugly doggie." in a pleasant and friendly tone, your dog would probably come running to you anyway. Unlike a human partner that would instantly recognise a mistake made in the heat of passion, like "Oh, Linda" when your name is Laura, and procede to bop you on the head, dogs don't recognise those sutle differences.
And for anyone who has owned multiple dogs, they will tell you that if you call out one dogs name, all the dogs in hearing distance in the household will come, because they think that they might be missing out on some kind of a treat the other dog is getting when you just call for one of them.