xisto Community
syncn21

Happiness Or Money

If he gets a well paid job, it might satisfy him and bring his happiness. To a lot of people, they are not happy unless they are doing. It would get boring working every day in this surf shop, and it is better to study while you are young.So basically his way, he gets happiness and money, but not so soon. Long term plan, it is [/yoda].

For me those two things are connected. If I needed to choose, I would have picked happiness. I would rather be a happy person, than rich, lonely and sad. I don't think you need happiness to earn money, but you need a bit money too be happy. It gives you financial security, so you have one less thing too worry about. Money can ruin your life - if you have a lot of it, or almost nothing at all. When something ruins your life, your not happy right? Exactly. Money or not, the lack of money can also destroy your life. Having enough money to food, clothes and such things that you actually need, then I think you have enough money. Haha, this got a bit messed up, but I hope you know what I mean. :)

either way it depends on the person..money means alot in todays society..if you get married and ur with the one you love but you dont have enough money.. you'll always fight over it .. and eventually your happiness isn't thereBut if you marry someone you dont love and your not happy but you have heaps of money you'll probably feel all alonebut i guess in this world there is not such thing as having no money .. well in australia anyways.. its just either you have alot of it or not much of it.ive always wanted to become someone famous because i like acting singing and modeling.. but throughout life ive realised famous people don't have much privacy .. everything they do would be on the news .. or in the papers.. I do wish one day everything will even out for me.. i dont need to have a big house .. or brand clothing.. i guess all i look for in life is someone that loves me.. i have enough money to live on .. not having to owe money to banks or have any sort of addiction.. IE .. gambling or drugs.. and thats a happy life.

look with out money you can not have last longing happiness and that's a pure truth man. money means power and with out it i feel i'm a useless creature in other people hand. nothing than money can keep things together (no that piece of paper, the power truly behind it) when time progresses things change people change your taste of life and happiness will change and you need power to change around yourself. money is not enough by itself but if enough of it is necessary.

I choose money of course! Happiness has a lot to do with your ealth and state of mind and surroundings, and your relationships, and all of those things get worse with lack of money. You might not smile as gratuitously as that happy toothless beggar at the stop sign, but if you are healthy it is easier to smile! Doctors and perscription drugs are expensive, you might need lots of money to fund it, depending on your country health policy, if it is lacking, like in Brazil, you might die waiting in line! Second thing in my list are friends. Of course you can't buy friends. But you can't make phone calls to them or travel to see them if you are broke, and friendship needs nurturing.If you have your health and friends and is not a happy person, if you have money you can see a psychoterapist and find out why you are not happy.But most people have families to provide for and again one of the top reasons that generate 80% of couples arguement is money (misuse or lack of).

Dear friend money has its own importance. Without money it may even be very difficult to survive in this world. But be happy you should always be satisfied with what you have. And that is more important for being happy. If in the race of life you are always after money and you are not at all satisfied with what you have then you will be always be eager full to get more and more money money and money. And until you are going to be satisfied with what you have with you, you are not going to be happy at all.?This is a tested formula for being happy.?BE SATISFIED TO BE HAPPY AND BE HAPPY TO BE SATISFIED.?

I think the title is a bit misleading, which have been pointed out already by most of the people who posted before me. Some people get happiness through money, because they can buy what makes them happy. That is the need for material stuff. But I think what the thread starter was trying to ask is choosing a path (or job) that makes you happy because it's what you really want in life (or what you've always dreamed of becoming), or a path that will give you enough money (or even more) to support yourself or dependents, if any. Most people would say "go for whatever makes you happy", that despite the measly money you get, at least you're happy. Some would say the opposite, well, for practicality. If you live in a country with an economy that is struggling, sometimes people don't have any option but to take a path that's not necessarily of their liking, because they need money. In my country, you'd be surprised by how many nursing schools have popped up here and there because of the boom of the need for nurses all over the world. Most students take up nursing in the hopes of getting that job that pays well. Most of these people don't necessarily start off in life dreaming of wanting to become a nurse when they grow up. Most people would change careers because they don't get enough money in their current job, some are already professionals in their careers, and yet because of money, they choose to start over again, with something that's alien to them.
Now, enough with the lecture. For me, I would choose to have a job that pays well, simply, as I've said, because of practical reasons. I am not necessarily living a life of luxury, but I also have needs as a person, needs that weren't provided to me when I was young. As a working individual, I have a chance of fulfilling that need. Of course, for now I don't have that much need, so I spend less, but who knows, in the future I might be buying some other things, or probably having a family or whatever. How much you spend depends on your lifestyle. Of course when you say lifestyle, that includes the daily needs like food, shelter and clothing, if you're more on the "spending" side, then accessories, gadgets and stuff. The more the need for material stuff, the more you spend.

Saying that doesn't necessarily mean I'm giving up on stuff that makes me happy. Cooking makes me happy. It's my passion and I love food. I wanted to be a chef, but I chose a different path. I could still make cooking a part of my life despite me taking a path different from what I like. I don't necessarily have to give it up, it's still part of me and will always be a part of me. So I could say I'm still happy in whatever I'm in right now.

I really agree with you dude
You don't always need a lot of money to be happy

sometimes a great lifepartner does it alll

Its not always necessary to have a lot of things with you you can always remain happy with those pair of sleepers which are 2-3 yrs old.

Happiness is very important to me. It's okay if things are tight if I'm living a happy life. I could be doing something I don't like and make a lot of money, but what's the point if every day I'm miserable and have to drag myself there? o.o I would be able to go on nice vacations and buy things, but the job will always be there making me sad. Money is temporary.I love money and being surrounded by nice things is always a nice thought, but money isn't important if you can't truly enjoy it.

The whole point of having money is to try to be happy.If you choose money over happiness you are missing the point of having money.Suppose some genius in a bottle tells you: - I can make you feel absolutely and utterly happy everyday for the rest of your life, OR - I can make money flow into your bank account continuously and keeping the balance always above USD 1 billion.Are you telling me that you would choose the money?Are you out of your mind?I can see the appeal of money flowing into my account and being able to purchase anything I want, but please think!. The money and the stuff that you can buy are means we use in an attempt to be happy. The genius is offering the complete "happiness solution", why take a tool instead?Read books about rich people, or even better, books written by rich people.100% of millionaires will tell you that they are not happier after accumulating their money.

Happiness or Money ?? Much difficult question.I think they are not alternatives in general. They are related to each other in our daily life. But in view of Buddhism, happiness could be choice at all because there is no value of money.I don't think people will be happy for long time. They become happy for a short time i.e. happiness is periodic. You will be happy when you found that you lost something, you got delicious food when you are hungry, Someone arrived when you wait him/her so many examples of happiness. If you satisfied doing something in our life, this is happy. Everyone know there is not full satisfaction in the world (in life of human) so that happiness becomes periodically.In this world, everyone has interest to do something whatever they are but they want to fulfill as mentioned above if their interest fulfilled they will be happy but every action of world attached with money except feelings (love, hate etc). But nowadays feelings can be change with the help of money i.e. many people changed their lifestyle, feelings, thoughts etc are changes with time and money. But only money can't make a person with happy. There are several factors that person to be happy. All the factors should be in correct amount to be happy.At last, Happiness and Money became two sides of a coin these days. So we can't choose only one.

Edited by puneye (see edit history)

I don't think people will be happy for long time. They become happy for a short time i.e. happiness is periodic. You will be happy when you found that you lost something, you got delicious food when you are hungry, Someone arrived when you wait him/her so many examples of happiness. If you satisfied doing something in our life, this is happy.

Hi puneye

I think what you explain here, which is very true, is about pleasure, not happiness.

Many people think happiness = pleasure. Then they experience what you are saying: Up-down-up-down-up-down..., because you cannot stay in a state of pleasure all the time.

Pleasure is not bad, of course! It is just that we must learn to say goodbye to it without sadness when it is gone.

I would like to explain that I have experienced at times a feeling of happiness that was not linked to any specific pleasure or satisfaction of any need. It was a sense of joy, and expansiveness that seemed to be radiating from the center of my chest. It was like a diamond of happiness shining in my heart. It does not happen often. The most intense case was after spending two days in a zen retreat and simply driving by the sea. I just felt very happy, and for no reason at all. I guess my mind was clean enough to let all the light come in.

I know some people feel that way much more often than me, and I would like to cultivate that state in myself because it is wonderful, it feels great and it also energizes me and helps me do better in anything I do.

That is the happiness I want.