xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TikiPrincess

It's Really Really Hot!

I live in Southern California in a little suburb of Los Angeles. Aside from the traffic, which I mostly avoid, I really love living here. Except right now in the 113 degree Fahrenheit heat. It wouldn't be so bad if this wasn't the third straight day. Or if I happened to have air-conditioning. And really, the days aren't so bad because I can get away and find somewhere else to go to that has air-conditioning. It's just the nights that are bad. And it was even worst to come home last night to find the power out so I didn't even have the comfort of my many fans to get some sort of breeze going through to ease some of the sweltering heat. It was a lovely 96 degrees at midnight! And because the electric company has been a bit overloaded from all the transformers breaking from overuse, our power still hasn't returned 14 hours later. I bought 60 lbs of ice and filled my coolers with everything from the freezer. Unfortunately, I did a recent Costco run, so it was pretty packed in there. The fridge is pretty much toast, but luckily we haven't kept much in there except drinks because we've been going on several weekend trips. I'm now writing from the comfort of my parents' house, which also doesn't have air-conditioning, but has the internet and fans. However, I'm still perspiring even though I'm just sitting in front of the fan and typing. I can almost feel my brain cells melting!

Well that stinks. The air conditioning in my family's house is out also due to our washer leaking. It's only in the 80s here in Colorado, but I'm one of those guys that likes colder temperatures, so I'm burning up! Don't worry, fall is coming(or maybe it is fall right now??) so the weather should be a little cooler. As for now, get out of the house! :P

Edited by husker (see edit history)

However, I'm still perspiring even though I'm just sitting in front of the fan and typing. I can almost feel my brain cells melting!

Hmm? I'm amazed that computer is still working; even in an air-conditioned room, comps go near 35 celcius and above. The room with the computer on is usually the warmest in the house.
Do you have the windows open during the day and night? It's always cooler outside than it is inside.

Well in the UK it rarely gets that hot thankfully, i hate hot weather, luckily our summer has been very cool, only in the 7O's which i find bearable but when it does get hot we usually shut all the curtains/blinds and open the windows, make sure you have bare feet, that makes it a lt cooler and get some cold water and put your feet in it, cools you down pretty well!

OH... I feel your pain. We had a run of 100+ temps here in Missouri that lasted for what seemed like forever, even if it was maybe just a week. A day or 2 is one thing to suffer, but after a week it seems nothing cools you off. Even the ground gets hot enough to warm the well water, so you can't get a really cold shower. I can tolerate a little heat for a little while, but when it drags on and on and on you start to believe that spontainious combustion of humans may not be just something you see in a sci fi movie!

It was really hot a few weeks ago where I was. My air conditioner broke down so it felt even hotter in my house for about 2 weeks. What made it worse was that work was being done in my house and they had to turn all the lights on as high as they go to see. Luckily i got central air installed :P

I am sooo annoyed that you've been having such fine weather... I live in the UK and although not affected by flooding the rain has been awful. Its cleared up these last few weeks but its certainly not "summer" weather... I've also just come back from France and it was horrid there too....

OH... I feel your pain. We had a run of 100+ temps here in Missouri that lasted for what seemed like forever, even if it was maybe just a week. A day or 2 is one thing to suffer, but after a week it seems nothing cools you off. Even the ground gets hot enough to warm the well water, so you can't get a really cold shower. I can tolerate a little heat for a little while, but when it drags on and on and on you start to believe that spontainious combustion of humans may not be just something you see in a sci fi movie!

Yeah, we had a run of 113 degree weather for about 5 days straight, but this was after a week of the temp hovering between 98 and 102. My friends threw a labor day barbecue and we ended up playing a game of badminton with the sprinklers running. It felt so nice to have the cool underground water splashing on us, but then the grass started getting all soft and squishy. I was wearing a t-shirt over my bikini, so I actually didn't mind when they turned the water off since my shirt had already gotten soaked and evaporation is a cooling process. They also didn't heat up their jacuzzi, so it was a tepid 85-90 degrees when we got in warmed only by the sun. Usually that feels like a lukewarm bath, but with a nearly 20 degree difference to the air temp, the water felt nice and not nearly as shocking as the 60 degree temp of the Pacific Ocean at the beaches this weekend.Thankfully, the heatwave has finally broken. It was overcast this morning and the temp is supposed to rise to the mid-90s. I think that I saved my food from the freezer in time. The majority was frozen solid before the power went off. The only things that were kinda thawing out were the hot dogs since I'd been pulling them out everyday to use them as frozen popsicles for my dog during the heat wave.

It was raining this morning, and the temperature dropped significantly in the afternoon. Today it was around 73? and the weather was fairly good. It rained a little bit in the afternoon, but nothing too bad in a way. In fact, I was able to enjoy a nice walk to the pond. I was hoping to see some turtles and perhaps some fish, but I did not get to see any when I was walking down the hill I made sure to avoid any ant hills that were there. I haven't had much of a chance to visit the neighborhood and I was thankful for the opportunity to do so today. Personally I would like to see cooler weather coming up within a month. I think it would make a nice transition from summer to fall, although I am not too fond of having to wear a sweater when I wake up in the morning.

Hmmm... Summer still hasn't ended here in Oregon, today it was in the 90s, which is pretty bad for September. But I really hate it when it's like 100 for five days in a row... gawd, you can't even go out with friends... unless it's too the store, of course. :P

Hmmm... Summer still hasn't ended here in Oregon, today it was in the 90s, which is pretty bad for September. But I really hate it when it's like 100 for five days in a row... gawd, you can't even go out with friends... unless it's too the store, of course. :P

Wow, that sucks. Today in south-western PA it was actually pretty cold, 60'sh-75'sh by afternoon, because all the sun was covered in clouds the whole night and day. By the evening there were even a few showers...

btw yesterday we had like high 90's, That just doesn't make any sense:)