xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Plenoptic

Big Hole In Universe Found

Well astronomers and scientists have seen holes before, but not one like this. This "hole" is 1 billion light years across. Imagine the size of that in regular miles. There are no stars, no black holes, no galaxies, or planets. There is not much matter at all, if any. Scientists say it is probably due to great amounts of gravity pulling from larger areas which will pull structures ouf of the less dense area, but to be this big? Kind of wierd to be looking in space and then all of a sudden you see an area of nothingness. I thought it was pretty cool. I don't know what exactly they may be able to benefit out of this but it could help us better expand the universe we live in.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The sheer size of this discovery in both size and impact could have a huge impact on the field is science. The exact reason why NOTHING is there will possible reveal a lot about the creation of the universe. The unnverving part is how massive this nothingness is. Cosmic background radiation is supposed to echo out everywhere from the big bang, but the fact it's a cold spot would mean this area was untouched even then. This is not only confusing and unsettling, but amazing.

Woow! a huge expanse of nothingness. Just wondering, would anything ever accumulate into this kinda extremely large space? Well, only God would understand why he created something like that.

Woow! a huge expanse of nothingness. Just wondering, would anything ever accumulate into this kinda extremely large space?

i would say if this vast space of nothingness, if not getting larger, is probably getting smaller. it is probably a big hunk of dark matter that is pulling all of the universe closer to itself. and i am sure your god had nothing to do with it.

i would say if this vast space of nothingness, if not getting larger, is probably getting smaller. it is probably a big hunk of dark matter that is pulling all of the universe closer to itself.

Hey genius, nothing doesn't include dark matter. It's pretty obvious you have no astronomical knowledge whatsoever.

and i am sure your god had nothing to do with it.

Anything else you're sure of? Edited by dre (see edit history)

Yeah I saw this article to and what I found funny is that Star Trek: TNG and I think Voyager had episodes loosely based on it., and I have to say that I am amazed something like this actually exists. What I find interesting and although I doubt this is true at all but you could say thats what the inside of a black hole looks like except for the huge amount of gravity that's inside of them.

I was browsing around and I found this picture of what the team believes it looks like and how it would be done:

Posted Image

llustration of the effect of intervening matter in the cosmos on the cosmic microwave background (CMB). On the right, the CMB is released shortly after the Big Bang, with tiny ripples in temperature due to fluctuations in the early Universe. As this radiation traverses the Universe, filled with a web of galaxies, clusters, superclusters and voids, it experiences slight perturbations. In the direction of the giant newly-discovered void, the WMAP satellite (top left) sees a cold spot, while the VLA (bottom left) sees fewer radio galaxies. (Credit: Bill Saxton, NRAO/AUI/NSF, NASA)

The article goes into some more detail then the one on yahoo, but what I find interesting even more that there are severals voids in our know universe and no one really has talked about them until this big boy was discovered. So far it has been an interesting year for the universe with discoveries, disappointments (pluto being knocked). I wonder what 2008 will have in store for about knowing our universe just a bit more.

It's amazing how we can be so intrigued by nothing. LOL. But yes, this is a very amazing discovery and it brings up lots of questions. I just want to know all the answers now, but we won't really know for hundreds or thousands of years - or maybe more. The universe is very vast and very interesting. There is so much that we don't know about.

It's amazing how we can be so intrigued by nothing.

yeah, you're right! :)

Hmmm... anybody here a loner? Maybe they'll start selling real estate there. :XD:

Maybe its the end of the universe.Or maybe a parallel mirror of another universe. We aren't able to see unless we go through it.Or maybe i'm just acting stupid. lol

No, if the big bang theory is correct then that void the the point of origin, because when the big bang 'Banged' everything would of flown outwards, leaving nothing behind, and this is also seen during a nuclear explosion. When the bomb explodes around 100m in the air the blast waves leave the area just under neath intact, heat is the only problem, so if we can take this into account, the middle of that big empty void can be the original point of the big bang. All theose theories created in the 1980s about the big bang made me wander. Didn't they say the the universe is expanding really fast? If that is true then this void may have a really thin fabric of time and space because the universe is slowly pulling this void apart, and when the fabric rips, then a giant 'hole' will form sucking everything in which is what the ending of the universe'The Universe will expand until no more matter can be made then the universe will collapse on it self'If this is true then we may have found the centre of the universe

Wow i wonder what is in that big hole? It might have another world in there being created. We might never know all we can do is watch. This big hole might show that there really is other beings out there in the world.

Wow. I have never seen a picture of one.The weird thing about them is that it is very thin but it can take us to another place?Is it magic or a hole that is very long on the inside but the outside makes the rest of it invisible.These questions may never be answered, will we ever make a space ship that can navigate at that speed and those heats?Will man EVER be able to visit another galaxy or live-able planet.I know these questions are hard and are right now un-answerable. But these are important questions!Regards,Tractor

It is quite freakish. I big... nothing. I have always feared the ocean because of the thought of going overboard in all that depth, with nothing to rest my feet on. But even that seemed petty compared to the prospect of living on a planet or, heaven forbid, an asteroid smack dab in the middle of that giant nothing.I'd be first to admit I know nothing much about astronomy, although probably not as large a nothing as the nothing at hand. Still, I've been wondering, what if it was actually the center of the universe? Well... that sounded a lot more awkward that it actually is; the point is, what if it was the center, or at least, the area, where the Big Bang occurred? Maybe the explosion/expansion had blown off/pulled away all matter from the center of the "Primordial Explosive Atom" that everyone, meaning the hulky galaxies, the bright and chipper stars and even the dark and brooding blackholes were, in a way, "knocked back"?I remember watching a TV series that an explosion has two phases. The first one pushed matter away from the center, effectively creating a near-vacuum. In the second phase, the low pressure inside the "shell" of air and shrapnel, along with the relatively higher pressure of the atmosphere outside, pushes all that matter back in, metaphorically creating a vortex that is sustained for only a short while, sucking ejected matter back in.Now, suppose that the Big Bang was the first phase of an explosion. If the above theory were correct, we should be having a second phase, the collapsing phase. Only, the difference is that there was no atmosphere back then to push everything back in. As a matter of fact, after the explosion, there could very well be vacuum inside but there is an even greater amount of vacuum outside. So, right now, it could very well imply that that hole will continue to grow and that the universe could very well end up expanding into infinity.Then again, I have to remind myself that the Big Bang event was an expansion, not an explosion. Still, for a while there, it might have been interesting, ne? :XD: