xisto Community
birudagmawi

Telemarketing Calls, How Do You Stop Them!?!

The Canadian DO NOT CALL list is an absolute farce. Is does nothing to prevent local businesses from calling you at home. Hell, I even had Bell Canada call me 3 times in oneweek to solicit more services to me, despite the fact they send me adverts in my bills, nevermind the millions they spend on advertising. When I told them NEVER to call me again to sell me their crap, they told me it would take 4-6 weeks to take me off their call list. When I informed them that I had a broken back and would sue the snot out of them for harrassment, that 4-6 weeks became immediate.

One point I wish to make is, the FCC and the CRTC should be at the FOREFRONT of preventing these types of calls. And I don't mean these stupid and often useless do not call lists, I mean put an end to them immediately. Both organisations know the amount of fraud that takes place over the phone as well and yet all they do is issue warnings. Typical government bullcrap. They talk a mean game but when it comes down to it, they have no guts to actually DO something about it. I dunno, maybe the do not call legislation has some teeth in the US but in Canada, it's as big a joke as the idiots that run our country.

Normally you are literally spammed with phone calls from your own country or many overseas countries, this is pretty much caused by what company you sign up for utilities [power, other] and definitely phone companys. In Australia, if you sign up with Telstra Cable internet, you could be called up to 3 times per day. Best thing to do is make your number private, or dont answer :P

I live in Ottawa. I have been harassed for months by telemarketers, most of them calling from India on behalf of Rogers (my least favourite company). Out of frustration, I sometimes take the phone of the hook for a while or leave it by a radio. 

-reply by Vic