xisto Community
Atthack

110mb Hosting What happened to FREE hosting?

Yeah, and not everyone needs dynamic sites either, a lot of people are just looking for a site for their personal site about them self or their business, and 110mb is good for those things, but I usually like to have forums on my site, which 110mb doesn't support.

ZOMG.I was there when they had the Cpanels, and I come back one day (I used to write short stories and essays on my blog websites on those accounts) and there was an entirely new layout. No CPanel, but I snuck in by using my CPanel ID and Password and Link. I complained in the forums, and asked if there was any way possible that I could request to have a CPanel, and they never answered my question directly. They asked me what was wrong with the new layout, and told me how they've changed it, and basically *bragged* about it. They never answered me, they just changed the subject.So, I got bored, because the File Manager wasn't as great as the Legacy File Manager (I really did love it!!) and was also slower, and I found that setting up MySQL wasn't as easy as it was. Basically, I eventually left and gave up.I come back a month and a half later, and sign up for a new account, and found they've changed it. AGAIN. I tried making a new website (installing wordpress) and realized I needed MySQL. I go to set one up, and find I now need to pay. The reason I first went to 110mb in the first place was that it was free! And now it is *so* expensive. I don't want to pay every month just so I write my stupid short stories, and post journals and stuff. It's just pointless.I think that maybe signing up here will be better! Since they're free, and I like posting in forums! Thanks for reading my rant!!Luff,KadeePS - We should start a petition =O

I just decided to check them out, and I read in their TOS they do not allow Joomla, Mambo, PHPMyAdmin, or VBulletin. That is bullcrap. They need to go away. One of the worst hosts ever. I am making an account just for file storage.

I used 110mb briefly last year. Sweet jesus, what a painful experience that was. I create sites for small businesses and upload their webs to a free host temporarily so the client can testdrive their site. I'm not paying for php or sql for a temporary site. Once the client approves the site I place it at a permanent host. With 110mb, the ftp is so unreliable that it can take hours to upload a web, and hours every time you want to make the simplest change. Rediculous! I think they had a limit of 25 or so concurrent connections via ftp, but there were almost always over 25 users connected.I'm glad I've discovered Xisto. I'll test sites here with php forms enabled (YIPPEE) and then migrate the webs to Xisto - Web Hosting. I will likely set up a reseller hosting acct. to make a little money from hosting them, too. :D

I found this topic when searching for information on 110MB being down again, I've been with 110MB for over a year now and in the last couple of months the service has gone down hill fast. I'm thinking of moving the site over to Xisto, the site is Nuke-evo so needs php/sql, how reliable are Xisto and can you really get a good free webhost nowadays??

I know exactly what you mean! I was looking online to find FREE Web Hosting (which was how I found Trap 17), and everything said that it was free, but that I needed to pay $15 as a simple annual registration fee! But then, some of my domain names required extra money to publish. One site wanted to charge me $40 a month to put the website on the Internet! How outrageous.

Doesnt seem to be a good host, might be alright for a basic package from what I'm reading, but it seems most sites tend to require active forum participation to keep the hosting up. However, their community seem to be pretty quiet as opposed to here at Trap.

110mb

A big name in the hosting world today, indeed.

I remember back in the days, 110mb offered LOTS of amazing features, despite the fact they couldn't keep them. I talked to support, they were about 2 - 3 people controlling it all. It was nice ! Don't get me wrong, anyway. On to my POINT.

We all (or some of us) remember 110mb as the best host possible! (Sorry, even better than Xisto :)) But what it has become now is really bad.

First of all - They brag too much about their "amazing" offer.

They offer things such as:

2 GB FTP100GB Bandwidth10 SQL DatabasesFTP Access110DBManager (better then phpMyAdmin)

Etcetera etcetera. Let's take a look!

I have an account on 110mb, i log in to my panel. And i see a FRESH REDESIGN of the LayeredPanel script. (they also talk a lot about them recoding it all etc, CARE!)

Regarding the new LIMITS, due to "hackers" and "abusers", they had to lock down the entire list of REGULAR features you can get ANYWHERE.

Now - You must PURCHASE (What happened to FREE!?) access to one and one feature! Here's the list:

Sendmail ON - 5$

Register_Globals ON - 1.50$

Turn ON MySQL Database Support - 9.95$

Turn ON .htaccess Support - 5$

Turn ON CGI/Perl/Python/Sendmail/Htaccess - 9.95$

Total Ammount of money needed for all features: 31.40$

So.. WHAT HAPPENED TO THEIR "FREE" IMAGE?

The moment i saw this, i was outrageous! Oh yes! MAD and FURIOUS!

I liked their host the way it was.

Sure - They get problems with abusers using SENDMAIL to abuse etc, but that's no big bomb! I'd certainly pay a buck or two as "insurance" for that I won't abuse anyone with my website, but the fact I need to pay for ALL OF THESE (STANDARD) features!? HELL NO!

110mb - I just don't understand WHY... WHY RESTRICT the MySQL Databases to 10$ ? (ok 9.95, whatever.) For 10$ - I could get almost 2 months hosting at the world's best host (*at the time posted, it has the highest rated reviews*), and they offer 8 times more than you do!

Why did you TAKE AWAY your GREAT looking "FREE 4 LIFE" brand - And replace it with pesky price tags for normal features?

Seriously 110mb, you just lost one valuable and loyal customer. And he's not returning again, unless you improve. (Then again - Why listen to 1 free user's complaints, move along! The others will surely use 32$ on FREE hosting *cough*).

Just my 2 cents... I just needed to get this out, to everyone.

-Atthack

I want to say that this is what a lot of companies end up doing. Some of them even lie about the true reasons. Think of it like trial software...

A company makes a program fully functional for free(Take Trillian for example). After a year they then disable half of the features and charge you to use them. This is a normal marketing technique because it allows people to understand exactly how the program will work, thereby giving better chances of purchasing the paid version. This is what a lot of hosts are doing as well. They get you to trust them and then do this in hopes it will boost your desire to host with them on paid plans.

110mb.com has several other webhosts under their management (usually numbers followed by dot com)ALL of their free hosting re-directs visitors to their websites - initially 1 out of 10 visitors reach their pages. Then it gets more frequently, with no chance of your visitor actually seeing your homepage. Webspace and bandwidth are not "as advertised" or you'll have problems with using MySql with no hope of ever importing tables into phpMyAdmin.One of the most 'nastiest' self-proclaimed NO-ADS FREE WEBHOSTING! Tried & Tested!

I've tried 110mb.com and I immediately dropped it when I noticed it did not offer any free mySQL database, which made it quite useless for me. I haven't tried Xisto yet though, I'm still working on getting the credits for it. I'm hoping I'll be starting soon. Been seeing some great reviews here. :lol:

Don't worry your cotton socks gjaldon. Xisto owns 110mb, ulmb (UnlimitedMB) and all them other rubbish hosts. Xisto will blow your socks off. I've been with Xisto now for 27 days (since I registered) and the service has been great. Since the day I was hosted It's been fabulous and I cannot move hosts. I must stay with Trap. These dudes have so much great features, services, support, the forums, and network are awesome. I recommend to everyone looking for hosting Xisto WebHosting, No Ads! :lol:-Sky

yes i was also a big admirer of 110mb.com. i used to fight with people when they went against it. but now i have also joined there team :lol:by the way now its offering 5 GB.. but thats too not of any use.... i thought that i would get MySQL databases but they have placed a price tag over those features.... the things which are very much required for a good site, they have removed them from free web hosting....i tried 110mb for many days and then decided to get a paid one.... but then VOILA i found trap 17.com and i am very happy with this type of free Paid hosting

That's what you think think about Trap. Trap is actually the FIRST best Free hosting I've had, and the SabreHost (paid) is the first best paid host. Because I am a friend of the owner of SabreHost, actually a very good friend, he let me off $5 for the Elite Volume package and gave me a free .com domain. ^_^Yeah, hopefully when I have finished with development with my webpage I will continue to advertise my site around. :lol:-Sky

i was a user of 110mb too.their service was great until they restricted mySQL. i was disappointed when i found my forum dead. so i spent months seeking for another host and i have not found nothing similar until i found Xisto.it's a little bit hard to me to write in english but i'm trying