xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Thorn

Trap17 Hosting Question A few hosting questions...

Uh...hey! I was wondering about the hosting thing... I have a few questions:1. How long does your Xisto registered domain last? (the free domain thing)2. Do you have to pay a certain amount of points every month for your hosting account? Or do you just have to be active?3. Does it come with the Fantastico that has IPB? And if it does, is there a limit on how many members you can have, how many posts can you have, and does it come with the newest version?Thanks. :XD:edit: Oh no...I posted on the wrong forum! Can someone please move this???

Notice from jlhaslip:
Moved
Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

1. How long does your Xisto registered domain last? (the free domain thing)

1 year, thereafter renew for annually with appropriate hosting credits...

2. Do you have to pay a certain amount of points every month for your hosting account? Or do you just have to be active?

One credit per day, calculated dynamically each day. You can earn as many credits as you want and be inactive until your credits run out and resume posting, or post daily or weekly as your schedule permits. It is recommended to maintain a balance of 10 to 15 credits minimum to cover unavoidable absences.

3. Does it come with the Fantastico that has IPB? And if it does, is there a limit on how many members you can have, how many posts can you have, and does it come with the newest version?

Fantastico is included, but IPB is no longer included with Fantastico since IPB is now a paid product.

To add on a little bit about Invision Power Board, only the version 1.3 was free and I don't think it is available anymore. The newest versions must be paid for by purchasing a license by their main site. There is no maximum amount of users you are allowed to have on there as long as you don't go over your bandwidth, if you do then your account will be suspended until the next month of hosting. If this starts to occur I'd recommend moving up to cheap paid hosting at Xisto - Web Hosting. Also please take into account that any illegal versions of IPB will cause you to have your hosting account terminated immediately as it is illegal so I'd recommend installing a free forum like PHPBB or MyBB if you don't want to pay for IPB.

Monthly on your start date, I think. Or possibly the first of every month.Hosting credits are calculated dynamically by the minute, but the Bandwidth is refreshed Monthly. If you run out of Bandwidth, your site shuts down. Or Apply for an upgrade to the second package. Bandwidth cannot be purchased for Xisto accounts, so if you need more, convert to Xisto - Web Hosting is the answer.

Haslip is correctly BW renews at the beginning of the month and the best way to know that you will need a paid hosting account is when you blow through 10 GB of BW in a week. However, for that to happen you would be the 1/4 the size of say yahoo's or google's web pages to do that.Just a small addition to to the Fantastico/IPB question, the only version that is available is 1.3 which is free depending on who you ask, but since that version of the forum is loaded with security holes it would unwise to continue using or supporting it. Of course You can get 1.3 if you go to sites like invisonfree or something like that, but I do believe it is still available to purchase at like $70 for a license, but that was a year ago haven't been paying attention to them lately.

Haslip is correctly BW renews at the beginning of the month and the best way to know that you will need a paid hosting account is when you blow through 10 GB of BW in a week. However, for that to happen you would be the 1/4 the size of say yahoo's or google's web pages to do that.

OMG..This is really bad for me. Now I don't know how many bandwich i have used :XD: Then what for it is that Graph at cp panel if it isn't working? How I will know that my site going to crash if I don't know about my bandwich use? I thought that bandwich use is refresh automaticly when you just using it.

When you log into your cpanel look to the the left side of the screen and find this menu:

Posted Image

if you look down just a bit you will see your bandwidth usage it will display how much you have use compared to what your allowed. Like I said in my previous post you would have to have a lot of content and a lot of vistors to blow through bandwidth in the first few months of running a website, so I wouldn't worry to much this early on about using a lot of bandwidth. Of course some tips to lower bandwidth usage would be to use image and file hosts, make sure your code is clean and you have no large gaps of white space and stuff like that.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Or visit the cpanel link to the Aw-stats package which is updated approx every 24 hours. there is an option to update the stats at the top of the page, too.