xisto Community
9block

Is Your Windows A Genuine Or An Illegal Copy? Windows Copy = Legit/bootleg? [poll]

Windows Copy...  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Personally, I don't like microsoft products anymore, ever since i starrted using mac, i've not had to re-install, i've not lost files unexplainedly, its easier to understand... yada yada yada this morning the family computer (running windows XP) wouldn't boot up. I gave a bsod (blue screen of death) and it said 'boot volume not mountable' or something to that description. it suggested safe mode (which I don't get... It can't start up windows at all... so it can't start up safe mode yes?) which i tried to no avail, then i tried different 'debug' modes of windows... still not working. So i stuck in a linux live cd of puppy linux- an AWESOME distro which is basic, simple and fast. I didn't want to erase the disk or anything... so i tried to mount it... no problem (except it can't write values to it, regardless) i thought ok, it's mounting lets try a reboot... it rebooted same bsod, so i booted up linux and ran a disk util, tried to change a property about the disk (write like 5mb before the windows partition) and then i applied the changes, and rebooted... fixed...The reason I don't like windows is at times its not thought out properly... above is a prime example, if it can't read the harddrive with the OS on it... then it can't boot up in safe mode. And I don't like how when something crashes explorer dies... its annoying, (xp not vista, never used vista)I've said this a few times in the forums, but my favorite computer, that i had no unexplained problems was a pc that had 32mb ram, 1.5GB HD, and i think a 300-odd mHz processor... it has since been given away... I will probably buy one simmilar to it and use it for personal/business use. Web, email, invoicing etc. etc.

All of my computers to date have had their Windows OSes built-in. Coincidentially, they've all come without a disk as well - even though the company I bought my current computer from was supposed to supply the disk as part of the price :P Oh well, it's their only mistake.I don't see how anyone could even think of downloading any Windows OS, especially through torrents. Not only is it illegal, but torrents are incredibly prone to illegal activity, and it's hard to trust unknown websites. Often the downloaded OS will cause more problems than actually buying a legal copy, especially when it comes to privacy (Spyware and Malware is often installed on OS Downloads from unscruptulous sites). Bootleg copies are a no-no too.

Though I am using Leopard on a Mac, I still install Windows XP (there is a reason why it's not Windows Vista) via bootcamp on my other partition. I bought the home edition off a store for SGD 143, quite pricey if you ask me, it costs slightly more than a Vista basic. The most ridiculous thing that happened was that the serial key was pasted on the package's plastic, and due to my carelessness, I threw it away. As a result, I had to call up Microsoft and thankfully they regenerated my serial key at no extra charge. Though the blame properly comes down to me solely, I find it extremely weird that they would paste something so sensitive on the package's plastic.