xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Malware Hunts Down And Deletes Mp3s

I found this to be a very interesting security news story and a very interesting worm, due to the fact it only goes after MP3 files, which is the file type use to compress music into small files. Anyways security expert claim this to be a low level threat, however, even a computer noob that a low level worm, virus, or trojan can become a high level threat just like that. Of course the way this worm gets passed around is even more interesting, it uses flash drives to set up the infection and then kicks in when auto run kicks in when you play a cd or anything that uses the auto run feature.

Even more interesting this is not the first time that this attack has happen, 2 years ago Nopir-B worm did then and then last year a trojan program called Erazer did the same thing. As for infections every windows OS can be infected so if you head over to this link, the Nortan Boys tells you want to look for and then what to do to remove it so those who have a few thousand sound files that you have store won't get deleted.

SOURCE

Here

well this would be like a total red alert if you're a music junkie, but i don't know why someone would create a virus just to delete music files, of all files. could've at least thought of a more major threat like a virus that would spread to the humans who would use the computer or something :P j/k. but a virus is still a virus, you gotta delete them, right? i could just imagine someone getting the virus and then shouting "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" :P

This is a pretty interesting bug. I wonder if it's only MP3 files it infects that it causes problems with or if it will do other things later on down the road. Like the article says it probably is teenagers looking for trouble or someone learning about computers who is trying to figure out how to make viruses so started with something relatively "small" although to some it's a big deal. Luckily I usually just listen to the radio instead of wasting my money on music so I don't have too much to worry about. At least they already have a fix for it. I sort of wonder how these things start to get passed around in the first place but I guess they'd probably put it in music that people would generally download.

wow, better tell my music fanatic friend about this, I don't have much mp3s on my computer but I will be taking extra precautions to make sure those sample mp3s stay

Another advantage to using Linux I suppose: all my music is in Ogg Vorbis format. It does seem like a bit of an odd virus to write - it isn't really serving any purpose to the person who wrote it (such as feeding them data) or causing massive data loss problems (most people have the CDs for their music anyway, or can redownload it). It also doesn't exactly spread that easily by the looks of it. Despite the fact pen drives are pretty widely used, I don't think its going to cause massive problems.

Well they did mention that this wasn't a big deal worm, but sometimes they do become a big deal its just a matter of doing the right trick to make it worse. I would have to agree that it would be an odd virus to write if not associated with the music industry at all, but like the article said this virus is doing the music industry a favor, of course if these guys were really smart they would have tried at tag all the torrent sites and really cripple the music downloading.

I think that they are trying to help music artist and stuff. But still it is stupid. I hope I do not get this virus. I got so much music! I do not understand this how people could do this? If they can delete those files what other files could they delete? Makes me think alot.