xisto Community
BooZker

My Clean And Minimal Portfolio Site Less is More

After a year in college for design I decided I have enough material for a portfolio site. Not only this. Next years cumulative final is a portfolio site. Might as well get finished before it even starts :D .

My teacher Jon had always told us less is more and that is what I tried to do. Not too little and not to much. I was hoping you could tell me what needs to be added (I have a list of stuff I am adding now) what needs to be rid of, and what works doesnt work etc.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (once done oscargodson.com)

Stuff im adding/working on is the client section and Others > Userbars. I have client work just have not made the page yet.

I NEED HELP WITH ONE THING ALSO!

I have one report from a Firefox user (dont know what version) that the links do not open in the galleries. It might be from my reflection.js (creates the reflection on the images and will not show on older browsers. It has to be an OLD browser though. IE 5.2 the JS file works.)

My site has since been updated to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ along with a entirely new layout. I liked my minimal layout, but i was getting tired of it. I am still adding more freebies and getting a portfolio section layout finished.

Edited by BooZker (see edit history)

boozker, you have done it again! Nice, clean site. No clutter and nonsense! I like it very much.I like the mirror reflection effect. It works really well against the black background. Hey by the way, have to tried to use font-family: Fantasy as one of your fonts? Apparently most clients will support as they update to new Vista OS. I'm not sure about Macs but I heard that Safari can update font styles as needed, without a website prompting.I have been having fun with Fantasy font and that resembles your menu font--which you don't have to use graphics. I thought just I'd share :DNicely done, man! Good work.

Sneaky sneaky of you booze for using your myspace template for your portfolio sites :D, but anyways it is a descent looking design could use some more color I guess and one recommendation is change the images to the validation to match with the site as well. As for your problems I haven't notice that one you mentioned, but your left and right arrow script doesn't work in either FF 2 and IE 7(I am assuming you haven't set that up), and in IE7 you can't double click the images to see the larger versions.

the left/right arrows work fine in my FF2Oh, and nice site, excellent photos and GFX works.

The site looks great - no fuss, clean and simple. The only problem is that some of the CSS doesn't seem to work with Opera, and occasionally only half a menu appears, or it runs onto two lines. The separate gallery pages (example) are the ones with errors. The menu at the bottom occasionally gets cut off, or the copyright is covered with the Creative Commons logo. Something to look into, anyway. (Also, the pages aren't valid). Other than that small issue, a very well designed site.

I have been having fun with Fantasy font and that resembles your menu font--which you don't have to use graphics. I thought just I'd share

oh really! I just tried it on my mac but it comes up as Papyrus which as a designer is not a good font to use haha. And on my XP with IE7 it comes up as

Sneaky sneaky of you booze for using your myspace template for your portfolio sites

Actually its the other way around haha. Just changed a few things and made it my myspace.

is change the images to the validation to match with the site as well.

Yah I'm thinking of just making my own custom valid icons.

your left and right arrow script doesn't work in either FF 2 and IE 7(I am assuming you haven't set that up), and in IE7 you can't double click the images to see the larger versions.

Actually I just meant your left and right arrows on the keyboard although I was making icons for left and right arrows then making that to click on and it will scroll over like one pic at a time. And double click on the pictures? They dont work? Why? Is it the javascript? Any help?

Thanks!

try the top-level domain (oscargodson.com) instead of the one under http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ to view with the CSS implemented. i didn't view the source for each, but i do get the text-only also with the latter.

Sorry. That is my old site. I have since updated my site to a totally new layout. go to oscargodson.comThis is a new site and it's no longer considered minimal. I still need to add more freebies and portfolio stuff. Ill fix it up on the top post!

i like your website. it's clean, and easy to browse through. only little thing you might add is link from your blog to original website, if you prefer visitors to get back to your site, if they are on your blog. nice job.

I love the design of your website....Its so fluid and buetiful!!! You should be proud!