xisto Community
MSTR

The Best Anti-virus What Do you think ?

I have Antivir on my pc. Works great and it's free on download.com. Norton is annoying and doesn't catch everything it should. My PC tech buddies like to install either Antivir or Avast on customer machines. If the techs like it then it's good enough for me. I like a non intrusive antivirus and Norton and ZA are not that. Also, I would never send spam, I never open attachments, or even download them, and waiting for Norton to scan my outgoing emails is obnoxious. Antivir just does its job. Sweet. :D

COMODO Firewall Professional

I'd like to use COMODO Firewall along with my Zone Alarm security, but two firewalls installed at once doesn't work. I tried it on my test PC and it would freeze the computer. I guess COMODO will be my back-up if all else fails. Although I don't think that will happen since Zone Alarm is doing an excellent job!

Hmmm I've heard alot about Avast, and AVG... Alot of people say their better than most paid for security suites. I myself have never tried either of them. So I guess my question is which ones better? What are the pros and cons of each? I'm interested in maybe getting either or. What do you think?Thanks! :D

as for the best anti virus i dont know but i use avast and it works really good i also use windows defender for anti spiware i wish avast did both.

I dont really like avg. I have used avast,but i like avira's gui better, although it has a nag screen after an update. It doesn't really give any false positives like avg and hasn't let anything slip past either. I would have to say 1. avira2. avast3. avg...as far as free antivirus software goes.

For some time I was trying to find the best antivirus for my network because my ISP kept blocking my access telling me they suspect I have a virus infection. I tried McAfee AV, I kept getting them. I tried Symantec AV, nothing changed. Kaspersky AV didn't find anything either. AVG 7 AV was useless. Then I tried AVG8 Internet Security and on each machine it was getting at least 180 tracking cookies. I was so surprised because Kasperky AntiVirus( I luv Kaspersky by the way) was on the machines but could not see anything. After some thinking I later concluded that an AntiVirus will not work on network like mine. So now I resolved that I will only use Internet Security Suites and no AntiVirus. I don't know if any of u guys agrees with me but this is what I just found out.

For me at first I was using AVG Anti-Virus FREE. Then I stepped up my game and got BitDefender Total Security and WOW. This is the greatest thing ever, It's so secure sometimes I get mad that I can't let something work but I have to allow it in like 2 different places thats how secure it isI've been portscanned thousands of times and had hundreds of virus but it detecs everythingSecond best is Kaspesky, but bitdefender has 2.x times more virues definitions than kaspersky does!!

For me at first I was using AVG Anti-Virus FREE. Then I stepped up my game and got BitDefender Total Security and WOW. This is the greatest thing ever, It's so secure sometimes I get mad that I can't let something work but I have to allow it in like 2 different places thats how secure it is
I've been portscanned thousands of times and had hundreds of virus but it detecs everything

Second best is Kaspesky, but bitdefender has 2.x times more virues definitions than kaspersky does!!

AVG FREE is the best free Antivirus ever! It detects everything, and also is updated always. too bad it's not going to be updated anymore after june 25th. But it will still be a good antivirus program!

AVG is good, but the best one available to the public free or pay is BitDefender. Now US Government stuff I don't know about, but it is fact that bitdefender is best. It's cheap too and if you can't afford it there are ways around but thats not the point.Kaspersky is also good, second best in line.

As since no one has pointed out, this review was from 2006 and hence totally outdated in today's market. Secondly - NEVER go for a single source when it comes to comparing items like this. Companies have been known to pay to get 5/5 stars. Say Product A was better then Product B in this review, but in four others, Product B was better. Yet you would of gone for Product A because you were slack on your research.

Secondly, different reviewers get different results. You look for the ones that constantly give "good" results. There really isn't a "best" AV, just some bad ones, terrible ones, good ones, great ones. I'd go for a good one if it meant a stable system with few pop-ups.

It's already been mentioned, but I think I can tack on a little bit about ESET NOD32 Anti virus. This in my opinion is one of the best anti virus programs on the market today. It's light way and non intrusive. Programs that run in the background shouldn't effect every thing you do and slow/bog down your computer. ESET was developed originally by gamers for gamers. The thought process was, why spend thousands of dollars on a computer to have it's processing power completely slammed because of anti virus. If you've ever used ESET you'll notice everything about it is very tiny. There are constant updates happening ( sometimes multiple updates a day ) because viruses are constantly popping up. Most anti virus programs do update constantly, but ESET unlike norton and such shows a very minimal display to notify you ( doesn't lag you out of that amazing clench spot during a game ) Also, from personal experience i've always had the best of luck with their support unit. ( at first when vista came out there where tons of problems, obviously. ESET offered great support getting their software to work on vista. )

Hey guys I have a LAN with a windows domain. The sever is running on Win2003 but the problem is I cant find a good Sercurity suite for it. Idont need an AV coz they have proved useless for someone on the net. Right now it running on the latest Avast 4 which not detected anything since I installed it. All the other pcs are running either Kaspersky or AVG Internet security on each but I believe there are tons of malware on the server itself. I dont know what to run on thhe server. I've tried Kaspersky 6 that I got from a friend but it didn't do me any good.

AVG FREE is the best free Antivirus ever! It detects everything, and also is updated always.

How do you know if has detected everything? Do you know all the threats you have on your PC.

too bad it's not going to be updated anymore after june 25th. But it will still be a good antivirus program!

Yeah that's bad news. Does it mean there is not going to be AVG8 free edition? What are they doing stopping the service that gave them sucha reputation

Hey guys I have a LAN with a windows domain. The sever is running on Win2003 but the problem is I cant find a good Sercurity suite for it. Idont need an AV coz they have proved useless for someone on the net. Right now it running on the latest Avast 4 which not detected anything since I installed it. All the other pcs are running either Kaspersky or AVG Internet security on each but I believe there are tons of malware on the server itself. I dont know what to run on thhe server. I've tried Kaspersky 6 that I got from a friend but it didn't do me any good.How do you know if has detected everything? Do you know all the threats you have on your PC.
Yeah that's bad news. Does it mean there is not going to be AVG8 free edition? What are they doing stopping the service that gave them sucha reputation

Avg detects everything that any other anti virus software would detect. Most anti virus softwares use the same definitions which make them almost identical in terms of actual protection. Some go about it in faster ways or have lower profile programs. That's what makes the free ones different then the pay ones.

I have used many antiviruses but I think Kaspersky is the best....because it have many advantages from these that there is many opentions that you can controll your antivirus with it besides new viurs defentions are avalible every 3 -6 days :D

Edited by smsm89 (see edit history)