xisto Community
MSTR

The Best Anti-virus What Do you think ?

Yeah, firewalls suck. The new Norton Firewall takes too much of your RAM memory. I couldn't do anything on my computer, it kept on stalling. I had to uninstall it.

A few years back, Symantec bought that firewall software from WRQ... Older members may remember firewall known as AtGuard... Symantec bought it, and they didn't even bother to change filenames, or anything... It's possibly the case now, some of the process names are iamapp.exe and iamserv.exe... Now, I don't know what Symantec did in the new releases, but I'm using this ancient firewall, and I couldn't be happier...

First of all, it's NOT intuitive... No good firewall can be intuitive, and I don't want it to be... It asks me every time some application tries to access internet, be it from my computer, or incoming attempts... It has rule creation wizard that you can access every time a connection is attempted, making such future connections permited or blocked... Also, manual creationg of rules is very extensive, and you can specify every possible parameter... It is very similar to iptables in linux, when it comes to amount of configurability...

Also, a big bonus, it has an AdBlocker... You can enter any URL to be blocked, and it will be blocked, be it a flash movie, just a regular image, or even a regular web page.... Nothing passes through AtGuard... Also, cookie assistant is available, if enabled... You can also block certain information from leaving your computer in regular HTTP headees, such as email, name, browser, or refferer...

In my oppinion, even though it's old, it is great, the best firewall I ever used, and it really takes up no resources...

As I write this, my system has been up for almost 6 days, with permanent connection to the internet... I have ADSL modem, not router, so all trafic is directly delivered to my computer... iamapp.exe consumes 6.132K of memory, and iamserv.exe 4.024K... With 60 active net connections... I have 1.469.770 permited connections, as per my rules, and 46.805 blocked connections... And 1.631 blocked ads...

Quite nice, eh? :unsure:

My old computer did was a Gateway 500mhz and it norton anti-virus. But i got my x-box and I wanted to play halo online with xbconnect, so I went out to the store and got me a Linsys router.It was a hardware firewall and it came with software that you used to configure your what ports you wanted open what wants you wanted closed It was really alot of work until a I got the hang of running the software then it was like cake work. Most programs have somewhere that you can specify what number port to use then after you do that you can specify what number to open.It used a password to log in and off of the software.

The best firewall i have used so far is definitely Zone Alarm ..It also comes with anti spyware and antivirus software . So , it is definitely worth a try i guess.. I used to have many firewalls and i had about four to five of them running at the same time. And when i noted down the number of intrusions blocked , the number of intrusions blocked by zone alarm seemed to outnumber the intrusions blocked by the other software i was running.Another reason i would suggest zone alarm is, it does not suck up your system resources that much. Requires less memory than some software available these days. And it also has been chosen as the editor's pick at Cnet.com, i guess. @arashIf you have a good firewall running, you can probably eliminate the need for an antivirus, .. But , this might not be a good option, if you have viruses attacking your computer from plug and play devices. But, it holds good enough for internet . I have been using only a fireall and no antivirus for the past two years. And i have not been posed a virus problem on my computer yet. So, probably you have to give a second thought about your opinion regarding firewall softwares.Apart from Zone alarm , i like Lavasoft and Armor2NEt. I think the latter is free of cost for those who might want to install a copy free of cost !!!

I already wrote my oppinion on this forum but as I was just reading the computer based newspaper and they had test of the antivirus software in fact it was not antivirus but all in one software and I though I might put their results over here how they marked it was effective and they also in calculated the price range then how much system resources it takes then how much processes starts how much infected files it finds and so on ok not to prolong this here is the list:1. BullGard Internet Security 7.02. ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7.03. Panda Internet Security 20074. BitDefender Interent Security v105. Trend Micro PC-cilin INternet Security 20076. kaspersky internet security 6.07. Norton Internet Security 20078. F-Secure Internet Security 20079. CA Internet Security Suite 200710. McAfee Internet Security Suite 2007They tested only these products and this is overall result

i prefer and love Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0, it is most powerful,small and quick Antiviruse in the worldwith this powerful software you can quickly scan your personal computer. Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 protects your personal computer from trojans, spywares ,banner ads, pop-up windows, and scripts downloaded from internetand ...

i just keep up my firewall and i also try to keep AdAware up and running it seems to be working good. i woud never use Norton i HATE IT. all the updates and all it slows down my computer. and especially on the new one it makes you do setup and everytihng unless u end the process lol :).avast is pretty good. avg antivirus is also good.

u dont need any in linux :).

That is just because there is no market if and when microsoft crashes down and when computer antivirus companies switch to the lnux then you will see that there will be planty of linux based viruses and these viruses will also need antiviruses and by that you will need to install them also as currently people using microsoft based OS system are doing.

This is a list of TOP antivirus programs made by Rigorous lab:

What will you choose? :)

Notice from jlhaslip:
lists need quote tags

They may be the top, bu most of them are not the best.1. Kaspersky Antivirius 6My school uses this and the computers always get viruses screwing up the computers big time.2. Norton Antivirius 2007I used to use this, but i always got viruses and Norton could never remove it without making me go to their website and download a special patch just for that virus.7. Grisoft AVG 7.5 Antivirius Professional EditionI use this, and have for 4 year now. I have not gotten a single virus, and when i did AVG was able to detect t and remove it within a second of downloading it.Out of all of these Anti-Viruses i would advice people to use AVG 7.5 Professional Addition

I agree that AVG7.5 is the best even it is FREE.

I am using it in some partions or computer but I use Norton because it is compfortable firewall.

I will agree with my two predecesors... AVG Free is the best solution I have tried, and I have tried many, believe me... I have used AVG since the version 6, and I haven't had a single virus infection on my system (aside the fact that I didn't have a single virus on my computer for the last 10 years, even if I had no anti-virus software)...Kaspersky has just good marketing, that's all... Based on the myth that Russians make the best ever hackers and virus experts, and thsu Kaspersky, as a Russian made anti-virus software, must be the best... That's bull crap... Kaspersky takes up a lot of system resources, and offers pathetic protection... It mainly missidentifies some legitimate programs as viruses, and true viruses go unnoticed... Bad performance...Similar thing with Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus... I used to use it, back on my Win98, but a loooong time ago I stopped...My oldtimer favourites would have to be F-Prot, and TBAV... The best ever anti-virus programs... Made for DOS, ofcourse :)