xisto Community
MSTR

The Best Anti-virus What Do you think ?

I use norton antivirus.. heee.. but need to pay money. Probably if free antivirus , i would recommed AVG! heee. it is the one of e best free antivirus. however, norton has its disadvantge and advantage. :)

I have used so many different brands of AntiVirus softwaresI think on my first computer I had McAffe Antivirus, this was when I barely knew how to use computers and we got viruses all the time, since some of them went right through McAffe. I probably didn't update it or something stupid like that.Then, on my next computer, I had Norton Antivirus 2002. This was when I knew alot more about computers and I only remember getting one virus that basically ruined my whole computer. I had to reformat the drive it was so bad.After that, on the computer I am using know as long with my laptop, I used Zone Alarm Security Suite. It was alright for checking for spyware and viruses but the firewall control and especially the program control was really annoying when it pops up every second you open a program. And a big red box comes up in the bottom right corner saying "Warning!!!!!, are you sure you want to do this?" Well, that program was annoying so I uninstalled it off of both my destop computer and my laptop and now I don't use any anti-virus software. I haven't even had a virus since I have done that. I definetly think it is because I know so much more about computers. Because all of my friends that don't know that much about computers always get viruses and loads of spyware even though they have all the correct software installed, they probably don't know how to or are too lazy to update it.And now you all know the story about me and my anti-virus software.

I use the free verision of AVG 7.1.394. So far its been protecting my computer wonderfully. It also enables you to search the virus's description and steps to remove it successfully. And, don't forget my most favorite feature is the quick notification of a virus detected in my temporary internet files Its a great free antivirus program everyone should have!

I use NOD32. The only AV i found so far that is so lite on resources. Not only that NOD32 won the most 100% Virus Bulletin awards.IMO, Norton is a virus too ... lol ...... 1: Resource Hogger,2: Difficult to un-install from your system3: false threats/alarms etc, etc ;)Kaspersky is another cool AV too. Also in NOD32 under AMON setup -> Options tab, make sure that all the options are selected :)

really know what i'm talking about here, trust me. I know you didn't directly ask 'which was best' , but 'which do you use' but i'll give my opinion on the best, which IS what i use, so, Kaspersky AV is amazing i catches all viruses, has been totally re-coded and is now not the complete memory hog it once was, has a mass of options to configure scanning, updating etc... so all in all its the top of the AV choices, i used to test all the AV out as i used to get a ton of viruses for some reason, and found this to work very well.

For my laptop I use Norton Antivirus. For my pc I use AVG. AVG doesn't work as well as Norton or McAfee but it loads faster. The boot time into desktop isn't as long as if you had the other antivirus programs.

I use Norton Internet security. I'm so pleased with it i'd carry on using it and have been doing so over last three computers - I found it uninstalls absolutely fine. I agree it does slow things down a little bit, but that is just because it is scanning everything that comes in and out of your comp, which is necessary to provide a good antivirus. If someone has found it is letting in 100 viruses they must not have installed it properly or turned off their comp whilst doing so... But norton is very good. If you start to download a virus (say from morpheus or kazzaa for example), it will detect it and automatically delete it even before it has finished downloading and had a chance to run on your system. I found that Macaffee was rubbish in keeping out viruses as i had over 20, not doing anything different. Seeing as computers can handle the slightly slower startup, maybe adding an extra 3 seconds or so at the most. if you really need the power offline, you can just right click and disable it (I only do this after pressing my wireless button) then the speed it fine. For antivirus and spyware catchment it is the best piece of software I have used. Updates come often (and can do so itself if you don't want to have to touch the settings or go into the program etc. The downside of other antiiruses and macaffee etc. is that you also have to have a spyware blocker / removal program as well and to remember to set it up and run it regularely as well. Norton keeps these out very well, and I have not had over 1 yet, and that was just one piece of adware that changed homepage, added search bar and this came from a official messenger addon. (grrrr.) Got rid of it easily, by going to their website :ph34r:.The speed restriction that you get is a sure sign that it is makng sure your system won't be infected and also checking that no spyware is coming in also.norton internet security is great, and i don't really notice the speed restriction, cos, as I say, i turn it off when playing games or doing something like image editing offline. The best function is that it catches viruses whilst your downloading them, before they have had a chance to run themselves and install into your system. This was the best feature that impressed me when I first found out that it did this for me (when it showed a popup window telling me - and yes, you can choose to never see these windows again or disable alerts if you are not into that sort of thing <_<)Oh and plus, it is one of few virus / firewall / spyware programs i have found that will actually be able to delete the majority of ones automatically, without you having to find the file yourself and go into msdos to delete it and end processes etc.All in all, even though it costs a bit, it seems worth it because i have a laptop that still works...

Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)