xisto Community
joecool2

Cracking Knuckles, Feet, Neck, Etc.

It's unfortunate, but I've been cracking my neck for at least a couple of months, and now I can't go very long without doing it over and over again. My neck feels stiff, and if I try to hold it in for a couple of minutes, I feel like I'll have have a headache.Are there any at-home remedies for neck cracking?

It's unfortunate, but I've been cracking my neck for at least a couple of months, and now I can't go very long without doing it over and over again. My neck feels stiff, and if I try to hold it in for a couple of minutes, I feel like I'll have have a headache.
Are there any at-home remedies for neck cracking?

well there are some ways to prevent the stiffness. like what i've said in my first reply, you could do neck exercises to help strengthen your neck muscles, one of which is just by rotating your head in circles, clockwise and counter-clockwise. this not only strengthens your muscles on the neck, it also relaxes you.

but of course you have to control yourself so you wouldn't have the urge to crack your neck. the relief cause by cracking your neck is temporary and your neck would feel stiff again and you would want to crack your neck again, the cycle continues and it becomes a habit. just try to control yourself and lessen the habit. do more of the exercise and you'll be fine. you'll realize later you don't crack your neck anymore.

so is there any scientific proof that it's good? i'm just wondering, since you think it's stupid, maybe you could put something up so you could back up what you just said. what's even more funny was you keep on saying that you doubt the credibility of the information given, but you want to keep yourself on a safe position by stepping back a little and say "they must just not". the reason you find that article on a kid's site is because it's an issue that is getting an alarming response from kids and parents themselves. sure some moms might think the sound is annoying or distracting, and that they use the "arthritis" reason to scare the kids from doing that, but i think they're only using that so kids would stop doing it and not ask any more questions. but the website isn't all hoax about the information, they even gave a few detailed information on what is happening when you crack your neck.

Why do i have to prove it doesnt? You have to prove it does. Just like anything. I dont try try to NOT prove there is a monster under my bed, i try to prove there IS. If you show something that proves it then great. There is no proof. Cracking knucles releases air that is all. Do you know how what arthritis is? How does it start? What causes it OTHER then supposedly this? Read that before this. I have actually read a book on myths as well as just about arthritis.

Why do i have to prove it doesnt? You have to prove it does. Just like anything. I dont try try to NOT prove there is a monster under my bed, i try to prove there IS. If you show something that proves it then great. There is no proof. Cracking knucles releases air that is all. Do you know how what arthritis is? How does it start? What causes it OTHER then supposedly this? Read that before this. I have actually read a book on myths as well as just about arthritis.

did i say that cracking your neck causes arthritis? i actually said that cracking your neck is NOT GOOD. i just said that moms probably use that or whoever to scare people into doing such stuff. the main point is IT IS HARMFUL and not whether it could cause you arthritis or whatever myth there is. that is why i'm looking for proof that it's not harmful.

Well I have actually not found any legit evidense that it is harmful. Everything I have read that is written by actual doctors say nothing more then you are just releasing air or fluid. I'm not saying it isn't, im saying I have yet to find anything about it that states it is.

That's not good, I crack my knuckles and my neck all the time, I hope arthritis, or anything else severe doesn't result from this bad habit. Sometimes I just lean all the way back (like in the Matrix when they are dodging bullets(, and just crack all of my back, it feels so good :D

here's the thing, when you crack your knuckles, neck, etc., you're putting the joint out of it's normal range of motion. the habit of cracking them would eventually loosen the joints, and usually cause a "loose grip", thus probably some people assume it leads to arthritis. in some cases, the joints become dislocated and in others causes the tearing of the ligaments. whether it's backed up by scientific study or not, the main point is you do more harm than good. whether it would cause you a loose grip or not, the fact is that you develop a habit that lets you crack them more and more. like what i said, just because it doesn't kill you doesn't mean you have to be careless about it.

I've actually had moments where I've cracked my back. I would stretch in a weird way because of lazyness, trying to reach something, or because I'm yawning. I never crack anything on purpose - it just happens. Its a good thing to know it gives arthritis, so I'll stop now.

here's the thing, when you crack your knuckles, neck, etc., you're putting the joint out of it's normal range of motion. the habit of cracking them would eventually loosen the joints, and usually cause a "loose grip", thus probably some people assume it leads to arthritis. in some cases, the joints become dislocated and in others causes the tearing of the ligaments. whether it's backed up by scientific study or not, the main point is you do more harm than good. whether it would cause you a loose grip or not, the fact is that you develop a habit that lets you crack them more and more. like what i said, just because it doesn't kill you doesn't mean you have to be careless about it.

So then you're saying that when gymnasts get older they wont be able to walk? Strange because I have always heard that Yoga is good for you and thats moving them in REALLY weird positions. If you do NOT bend them you get all stiff as you get older. This is if your joints are unused.

So then you're saying that when gymnasts get older they wont be able to walk? Strange because I have always heard that Yoga is good for you and thats moving them in REALLY weird positions. If you do NOT bend them you get all stiff as you get older. This is if your joints are unused.

you know what's so funny? you keep on using examples that has little relevance to the topic just to support your ideology. just so we're clear, this is a topic about the possible harmful effects of cracking knuckles, feet, and neck.
gymnastics don't crack their knuckles to do their routines. they do stretching, so they'd be able to perform with their best. like any exercises, stretching is a good way to "warm-up" your body so it could function well during strenuous workouts to simple ballet movements. THEY DO IT WITH SUPERVISION SO THEY WON'T HARM THEMSELVES IN THE PROCESS. that's why you have coaches and gymnast teachers.

in the case of yoga, yes i know they put themselves in positions that are probably unimaginable to most people. and most people who believe that yoga is some sort of a fad that they're easily into joining the bandwagon just for that. from the looks of it, you mean that "it's good for you" because you could have benefits like loosing weight. you see, when one puts his or her own body in positions like that, i'm sure they're doing a lot of work so indeed they'll end up loosing weight. yoga, i believe, uses the "mind over body" so you could put your body into positions like that. it uses extensive meditation and concentration just to will your body and let your mind tell your body that the pain is nothing. it's not more than easy talking, i believe yoga is some serious stuff. most doctors aren't suggesting such stuff because they can cause some harmful effects, especially to your joints. but like what i've said in the previous paragraph, THEY DO IT WITH SUPERVISION SO THEY WON'T HARM THEMSELVES IN THE PROCESS. they follow steps in doing that and i think they won't force you if you're feel a lot of discomfort. it's like a mandatory rule. that's why you have yoga teachers. :D

If you do NOT bend them you get all stiff as you get older. This is if your joints are unused.

so you're saying, cracking your knuckles, toes and neck is a way to not make them stiff? funny, because i feel a lot of ignorance in that statement. there are ways for you to attain flexibility, ONE OF WHICH IS STRETCHING.

I don't crack my neck too loud but I do. I crack my back but that's just to stretch it. I do crack my ankles though and they're mad loud. Ankles don't hurt. I try not to crack my ankles but all the time it cracks without me noticing or even trying to do it. It's become habitual.

i usually crack my knuckles and more often i crack my neck. my neck and knuckles feels very stiff if i don't give them a exercise once in a while. so i just crack it without even my knowledge. Till now i haven't had any problem in doing so... neighter do i have heard about the side effects of cracking knuckles and neck. i feel it a lot comfortable after doing... so i will continue doing it... but if u have extreme pain in cracking then i think you should stop doing it altogether... consult a physician if you are very eager....

You should stop this bad habit as soon as possible! It is true that it will cause arthritis. I read about it in the newspaper. Also, it can freak some people (like me) out. If you feel the urge to crack your joints, maybe you should get a squeeze ball to squeeze instead.

You should stop this bad habit as soon as possible! It is true that it will cause arthritis. I read about it in the newspaper. Also, it can freak some people (like me) out. If you feel the urge to crack your joints, maybe you should get a squeeze ball to squeeze instead.

How can you be sure of that. You can't always believe everything you read, hear, or say. If you visit a professional chiropractor he / she usually cracks your back and joints every few visits. So if I visit a chiropractor enought it will eventually lead to arthiritis in the future?
Maybe I just don't want to believe it because I am guilty of cracking everything in my body.. :)

Notice from rvalkass:

Fixed closing quote tag.