xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mermaid711

What Is An Ascii Artist?

Well I was looking at my bullitens on myspace, and I found someone posted something pretty impressive. It was an ASCII Jesus.

Here is what it looked like:

*?????????śśśśśśśśśśśśśśś?????

*???????1śśśśśśśśśśśśśśśśśś????

*??????śśśśśśśśśśśśśśśśśśśśś???

*?????ośśśśśśś$???????řśśśśśś??

*?????śśśśśś?????????????řśśśś?

*????śśśśśś???????????????ośśś?

*???śśśśśś˘????????????????$śś?

*???śśśśśř?řś$śśśř?????????1śś1

*??ośśśśś?1ośśśśś???1śśř˘o$?śśś

*??śśśśś?????7o71???śśřř$1?śśśř

*?$śśśśśo???????????ś?˘śśśośśśř

*7śśśśś1????????????$?????7śśśř

*řśśśśś7?????????1??ś?????śśśśř

*śśśśśśśś??????˘śśśś7????*śśśśś*ś

*śśśśśśśśś1??śśśśśřśśř?ośśśśśśś

*śśśśśśśśśś$śś??7117śśśśśśśśśśś

*śśśśśśśOśśśś????????śśśśśśśśśś

*śśśśśśś7?śśśśśoo7$śśśśśśśśśśśś

*śśśśśśś7??śśśśśśśśśśśśśśśśśśśś

*śśśśśśś?????řśśśśśśś??śśśśśśśś

*śśśśśśO???????????????1śśśśśśś

*śśśśś??????????????????śśśśśś

Squint your eyes. It's very impressive.

So what is an ASCCI artist? An ASCII artist is someone who uses only ASCII charecters in oreder to create a picture. They have been know to spend large amounts of time working on designs. This picture of Jesus Christ could have taken the artist years to create. I have tried to create pictures like these, but they have not gotten this complex and intracet.

So how do they do it?

I found it is easiest to open an image and "trace" over it with ASCII charecters.

Then, open a word processor and copy the work and paste it there.

Notice from serverph:
added tags. quote tags render ascii art better. :D also, we don't want it to unduly take advantage of the credits system, what will all the ascii characters on a single image. :lol:

Edited by serverph (see edit history)

I'm sorry to be able to say this after you saying how long it would take, but it's kinda relevant :lol: so don't blame me!It's easy as pie with any of the wide range of free programs available. Came across one the other day. Of course you'd have to use a source image and turn up the contrast as far as it'll go to help it along, but the result is still the same...sorry :D

yeah, sorry to burst your bubble too mermaid711, but jimmy is correct. :lol: it would take only minutes, and sometimes just seconds to create ascii images such as those. actually depends on the simplicity or complexity of your image. i've been toying with ascii art a long time ago myself, and then i lost interest with them after the initial dose of novelty faded on me. you simply need the right software for ascii art, so you can be satisfied with your results. there are even "colored" versions of these ascii artsy-thingy, with the ascii characters mimicking the colors of the original source image. that was too heavy on resources though, and the html output (coded as to simulate text/character colors) was exceedingly big too, and not entirely suitable for online viewing especially for slow internet connections.

No offence taken. It's just my opinion, and everyone is entitle to their own! :lol:As for the programs, i think that is cheating, but hey, it speeds up the process.

Serverph, have you got any samples of your "long lost art" work? I'd be interesed to see if you've got something good that you actually kept!

Mermaid, you are right, it's definitely cheating! I think some of the better ones I have had people show me are made themselves, as, of course, using a program will have mixed results. It really depends on the image you use and so you need a picture of what you want in the first place!!! (not too hard with google, but hey, take pride in your own work :lol: )

Posted Image

Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

Serverph, have you got any samples of your "long lost art" work? I'd be interesed to see if you've got something good that you actually kept!

i had them on my personal site on ye-ancient geocities before, but have since abandoned it. :D i particularly loved the color renditions i had of my girlfriend, had it online too before. the source image was her face in color, scanned to measure onscreen as if it's life-size. the resulting ascii art i've rendered was "life-like", that's all i can best describe it. :lol: and because i found that it was easy to recreate the same result (or make better ones) with the ascii art program i had before, i didn't bother making backups of those. and that was with an old ascii art program. and after all these years, i'm sure there are better apps with better results than what i had before. maybe i should google for some freewares again. :P

I used to do a lot of ascii art. I still do a little, but it can be very time consuming to do something impressive, and I don't have that much time anymore.

I used to do a lot of ascii art. I still do a little, but it can be very time consuming to do something impressive, and I don't have that much time anymore.

Nice cangor :lol: I havn't actually tried any myself... I always thought of, but sorta gave up!!That is a nice idea sev, doing something in colour and life size... I bet not meny people have thought of goiing in that direction with it! Life like ascii art!? Hmmm I might see what i think of it!
I know what you mean about the novelty factor, but maybe I can get some good stuff before it fades :D

How about start a ascii competition (ofc with only work done by the people submitting)? maybe get some ideas together with a credit prize or something... could be popular!

i just now remember that there is a MATRIX movie floating around the internet, PAINSTAKINGLY RENDERED IN ASCII. :P i've seen only a brief sample clip, and it was awesome to behold the results. :D i was not able to download and view it in full, since the file was TOO BIG to download (and i've got dialup connection until now :P). the file, as i remember, cannot even fit on a standard DVD, so you can just imagine how long it would take me to download that. :D

for those interested in this matrix ascii movie, i believe it's still around there somewhere, floating. :lol: you trappers are resourceful enough to google it, so i will not link it here (and i think others following my reply here should not too, else we get in trouble with WB and the wachowski brothers :P). the keywords you can use are sticking out loudly in my post, so there's nothing hard about searching it. :D

i just now remember that there is a MATRIX movie floating around the internet, PAINSTAKINGLY RENDERED IN ASCII. :P i've seen only a brief sample clip, and it was awesome to behold the results. :D i was not able to download and view it in full, since the file was TOO BIG to download (and i've got dialup connection until now :D ). the file, as i remember, cannot even fit on a standard DVD, so you can just imagine how long it would take me to download that. :P

That is absolutely awesome!!! Thanks so much for that.I'm a fan of the matrix so love it... I have got the bittorrent for the Entire movie in full sound and colour :D:lol::D :D
4.5GB... I'm sure itll be finished in no time :P The dude has released a re-formatted version that now does fit on a dvd!
On another note, do you know a good torrent program (i.e. one that doesnt install spyware and adware all over my pc!)
Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

yeah, I'd use uTorrent. Just google for it, it's lightweight and nice. This movie thing sounds really cool. I'll have to check it out. :lol:

Hay my friend and I wrote a program to turn an image into ascii art :)At least we didn't sink too low to use one someone else made... No. We slaved over a computer for hours making that :)

Whats the url, i wanna test something like that..

I used to make a lot of this.. on forums for people..

Runescape clans used them a lot because they can't use images.... like this could be a logo:

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

??????#################################_?????

??????#################################_?????

??????###$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$###_?????

??????###$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$??$$$$$$$$###_?????

??????###$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$????$$$$$$$$$##_?????

???????###$$$$$$$$$$$$$?????????$$$$$$$$$$$###_??????

????????###$$$$$$$$$?????#####?$$$$$$$$$$$##_???????

?????????###$$$$$$$??$$$$??#??$$$$$$$$$$$###_????????

??????????###$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?$$$$$$$$$$$$###_?????????

???????????###$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$###_??????????

????????????###$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$###_???????????

??????????????###$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$###_?????????????

????????????????###$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$###_???????????????

??????????????????###$$$$$$$$$$$###_?????????????????

????????????????????###$$$$$$$###_???????????????????

??????????????????????###$$$###_?????????????????????

???????????????????????###$###_??????????????????????

????????????????????????#####_???????????????????????

?????????????????????????###_????????????????????????

??????????????????????????#_?????????????????????????

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Somethign like that.. or like this..

I was adding more, but i had to go, ill add more tomorrow of my creations

Notice from serverph:
added tags. quote tags render ascii art better. also, we don't want it to unduly take advantage of the credits system, what will all the ascii characters on a single image. :)

????????????????????????????????????

??????????_______90+______??????????

?__?############################?__?

?_?##############################?_?

?_?##############?###############?_?

?_?#############??_##############?_?

?_?############???__#############?_?

?_?###########????___############?_?

?_?##########?????____###########?_?

?_?#########??????_____##########?_?

?_?########???????______#########?_?

?_?#########??????_____##########?_?

?_?##########?????____###########?_?

?_?########?##????___##?#########?_?

?_?#####?###?#????___#?###?######?_?

?_?######?###?????????###?#######?_?

?_?#######???????????????########?_?

?_?######?###?????????###?#######?_?

?_?#####?######?????######?######?_?

?_?#############???##############?_?

?_?############?????#############?_?

?_?##############?###############?_?

?_?##############################?_?

?__?############################?__?

?????????______ True ______?????????

?????????_____ Legends ____?????????

????????????????????????????????????

_/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/

_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/

_/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/

thats my clans :) lol... their pretty intresting, i think their hard, but w/e lol. They really look complicated, but ya...

Notice from serverph:
added tags. quote tags render ascii art better. also, we don't want it to unduly take advantage of the credits system, what will all the ascii characters on a single image. :)
Edited by serverph (see edit history)

There's always converters for this kind of work.

http://www.text-image.com/convert/ascii.html

It's a very nice Image-ASCII converter, however forums generally can't handle the format used for it and get rid of the spaces oftentimes mucking up pictures you make with it.

ASCII artists CAN take a very long time to make their art if it's entirely custom, however many simply use converters for their work and shorten the amount of time it takes by huge amounts.