xisto Community
s243a

Mathematics

Please do not double post. Just edit the post you had before.Yes thats house I learnt it. Something about 45 and stuff actually to think of it. I have forgotton OH NO! Oh no I think I remember the Hypotenuse. Oh no sorry that was some thing else. Something about the opp side and the adj and like OPP/HYP or something... I dont know uh oh!

Grrr... No doubt! I hate maths ~ ! How about some programming challenges..?

Okay, here is a mail delivery program. You are delivering mail to N cities by air. Given an initial take off point find the shortest flight route to travel to all N cities. :D Determine the computational complexity of your program. :D

Please do not double post. Just edit the post you had before.

I have edit and I didn't plan on double posting.

Yes thats house I learnt it. Something about 45 and stuff actually to think of it. I have forgotton OH NO! Oh no I think I remember the Hypotenuse. Oh no sorry that was some thing else.

Something about the opp side and the adj and like OPP/HYP or something... I dont know uh oh!

Yeah thats right that is the most basic trigonometry (right angle triangle stuff)

Oranges have skins (O/H=sin(theta))

Apples have cores (A/H=cos(theta))

Oranges are tasty (O/A=tan(theta))

Theta denotes the angle

O denotes the opposite side

H denotes the hypotenuse

A denotes the adjacent side

For non right angle triangles see the law of sines and the law of cosines.

OH MY GOD That is so cool all I learned was SOHCAHTOAwhich is different to yours but yours is more cool.Well I remembered how to do it now...anyway what age is this level for ?I have a math test tomorrow :D

I've forgotten all the math i learned. Now all I know is basic stuff like adding and subtracting. It is sad really, but that's life... nobody really needs math in everday life beyond the basics. Math is just something that they teach in school which hardly ever gets used in your job. Computers calculate everything nowadays. Only people that need to know math is the people who program the computers.

OH MY GOD That is so cool all I learned was
SOHCAHTOA

which is different to yours but yours is more cool.

Well I remembered how to do it now...anyway what age is this level for ?

I have a math test tomorrow 

I think finding the angles of a right angle triangle is usually thought somewhere between grades six and 9. I think I leaned it in grade 7. If it was up to me I am not sure when I would teach it.

Not just to program computers you need math in every day life as well you may not know it but you do.You also need it for science as well... Plus knowing math does make your brain more capable because you are more use to solving hard things and looking further into things and finding a solutiong quicker.

I've forgotten all the math i learned. Now all I know is basic stuff like adding and subtracting. It is sad really, but that's life... nobody really needs math in everday life beyond the basics. Math is just something that they teach in school which hardly ever gets used in your job. Computers calculate everything nowadays. Only people that need to know math is the people who program the computers.

Well you can get by without knowing a lot of stuff in everyday life. So if you are going to use that attitude why do we need anything above grade six. What we dont know about language spell check and grammar check will teach us on word right?
When I was younger I didnt like French. I wish I new it now in case I every wanted to work in Quebec. Anyway math is similar to language. The ideas we can have are formulate in math, languages, images or sound. If you limit your self in math you limit the amount of thoughts you can express. More importantly math strengths our problem solving and reasoning skills. You are right that computers do a lot of calculations today. They can even prove theorems for us now. However it is very helpful for the people using these programs to understand what is going on. Moreover many ideas in physics are expressed in mathematics. Some ideas are very difficult to express linguistically and with out understanding the mathematics you comprehension of those ideas becomes limited. The more math you know the faster and easier learning science, engineering, economics, business, computer programming and becomes. It is my opinion that learning mathematics greatly enhances our ability to learn new concepts. Anyway if you dont like it no one is forcing you to learn it.

like i said before you don't need math beyond the basics in everyday life.. And my everyday life doesn't include school, so i'm not doing science or nothing like that. once ur out of school, you really don't use math that much. Everybody i know doesn't use math much in their job at all. There's just no need for it with computers around.

like i said before you don't need math beyond the basics in everyday life.. And my everyday life doesn't include school, so i'm not doing science or nothing like that. once ur out of school, you really don't use math that much. Everybody i know doesn't use math much in their job at all. There's just no need for it with computers around.

And to this I rhetorically and fictitiously respond why go to school at all after grade six? Heck why not send kids to trade school after grade six and the ones that don?t want to go to trade school send them to the factories. Take this with a little bit of sarcasm.

And to this I rhetorically and fictitiously respond why go to school at all after grade six? Heck why not send kids to trade school after grade six and the ones that dont want to go to trade school send them to the factories. Take this with a little bit of sarcasm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, you are looking down on trade workers and factory workers. Nice guy. You think just these type of jobs don't require more than basic math? You are sadly mistaken. You're previous post has already stated, you dont have work experience... so you cannot argue with me on this.

I have had many jobs and know many people who have had many different TYPEs of jobs. Basic math is what most people use. Nothing more. obviously there are exceptions, please don't take everything so literally... man...

If it counts for anything, I'm a freshman taking calculus.Spam, as far as message boards(forums) go, are unneccasary posts posted just so that the poster may increase his post count, or just for no real reason at all.My personal view on higher level mathematics taught in school is that it is basically pointless to teach it, as very few people are going to use it later on in their life other than college courses. People don't need to know about derivatives or integrals to get an education. I also hate the standardized tests, such as the OGT (Ohio Graduation Test) which I will have to take next year.

You're previous post has already stated, you dont have work experience... so you cannot argue with me on this.

I said no engineering work experience. I worked for public works, I?ve worked in factories, I?ve tree planted, blueberries racked, picked strawberries. I have tutored marked assignments and now I am writing some code for mechatronics labs. Anyway to suggest that I won?t need to know any high level math as an engineer is a little ludicrous. If that wasn?t what you were suggesting why bring it up.

Higher level mathematics don't just teach math skills - they are an introduction to more complex modes of thought, as well as an introduction to higler learning in general. Students who like calculus are probably more likely to work towards a math or science degree... and this country certainly needs more mathematicians and scientists!