xisto Community
masugidsk8r

Which Printer Has Long-lasting Ink?

So right now I am using the Lexmark x5470. I just printed 2 pages worth of colorful pages (starting at 100% full cartridge) and now it shows that I have 50% left of color ink! I've printed 10 pages with the same color and I stilled had a decent amount of ink--and this was 7 years ago. Since this printer can't be returned any more because it's already past the 30 day return policy, I'm going to be stuck with this for a while. However, can anyone recommend a good printer which has long lasting ink (both for color and black). Thanks.

This really depends on how much you are willing to spend. I used to have a Lexmark printer but we got rid of it pretty quickly becuase it was actually cheaper to buy a new printer with free ink (?25), than it was to buy the ink to refill it (about ?60)! Since then we've had a few printers and I have always found Canon to be the best. The ink is the cheapest of the lot and is of very good quality. The only annoying thing is that they have started chipping their cartridges, which can be annoying if you do your own refils or buy compatible ink.The printer I have at the moment is the Canon iP4300. Its a great printer and the inks have lasted quite a while so far - I've only replaced one cartridge since I bought it 6 months ago. One good point is that it has 5 ink cartridges (cyan, magenta, yellow, black and pigment black). Each of those can be replaced separately which brings the cost down and reduces waste. Check it out - I managed to pick it up for about ?45 from PC World after a discount or two :lol:

I found that my brother mfc 215c's ink cartridges has lasted for a long time. Almost 7 months before I had to replae them, but now that ink's pump is broken and so i might have to buy another printer. If you have a laser printer and it runs out of toner, buy a new printer, its more worth it than buying replacement toners

Hm... this lexmark i got right now is pretty cool cuz it's multifunctional (fax, scanner, xerox and printer). The only problem with it is ink. But I've heard good things from canon so maybe I'll try that one next. Thanks.

i think its hp . It is having a very good quality prinitng and also at a low price if you are having some one at the post from where he can get you a cartilage for me as in case of mine lolbut i will recommend to get original cartilage for your printer as it will guarantee you the performance

Go with a laser printer. They are cheap in the long-run but expensive in the short-run. For example, a cartridge for a black-white printer can run $120 but for one that expensive you should get around 3500-5000 pages from it. Color ones will run around $80 per color plus black (so $320 for all four) but will do around 2500 black, 2000 yellow, cyan, and blue.So it depends on whether you are printing a lot or just a little. I prefer the laser ones due to cheap cost but then again I print a lot.

Go with a laser printer. They are cheap in the long-run but expensive in the short-run. For example, a cartridge for a black-white printer can run $120 but for one that expensive you should get around 3500-5000 pages from it. Color ones will run around $80 per color plus black (so $320 for all four) but will do around 2500 black, 2000 yellow, cyan, and blue.

So it depends on whether you are printing a lot or just a little. I prefer the laser ones due to cheap cost but then again I print a lot.

The problem with a colour laser printer is the cost of the printer in the first place (often many hundreds of pounds) and their huge size compared with inkjet printers. Also, the print quality of a low-cost colour laser is nowhere near as good as a high quality inkjet print (in my experience) and the inkjet printer is a lot cheaper to buy. However, there are advantages to a colour laser - lower running costs (as you've said) and the speed at which they can print. It depends on the cash you have and which features are more important to you as to whether you should get an inkjet or laser colour printer.

The black and white laser printers are a different matter. They are fairly cheap now and have come down in size to printers which are more suited to a home environment. Considering that a lot of the material people print now is black and white text (or doesn't need to be in colour) they are a very good investment compared to the cost of an inkjet printer. This then leaves expensive inkjet printing for the stuff that needs it, such as colour photos and documents with lots of colour.

Epson or Canon printers with attached [url="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ will enable you to save enormously on ink & you can print thousands of pages before you need to refill (youtube.com/inksystemcom) :P

Edited by colorz (see edit history)

Hi!I have found Epson catridges to cost more than their HP counterparts. The cost of an Epson printer is lower than an HP printer though. I guess their marketing strategy is to make a cheaper printer and then cash in on the catridge sales. If I were printing just once or twice in a month, I would just get a cheap Epson printer. However, I would invest in a black-and-white HP laser printer if I had to print lots of pages.If you simply want a printer that has a long-running catridge so you don't have to change the catridge often but don't mind the costs, I would imagine an HP LaserJet 8100 series printer would cater to the needs of a large office. The printer is capable of printing 32 (yes, that's thirty two!) pages per minute, which is more than a page every two seconds, and has multiple (at least three that I know of) paper feeders. If you've got an office that has lots of employees printing at the same time, the LaserJet 8100 is what you need to avoid having to visit the printer every other hour.Although printers have become really quick over the years, it is necessary that we remind people of the trees that have to be cut down to cater to their paper needs. I would think that with digital picture frames, smart boards, smart phones, and LCD screens becoming very common today, the dependency on paper should have reduced. If our paper consumption does not decrease, the rising population would see offices in huge corporations with an HP LaserJet 9990 on one side of the wall, and a tree crusher on the other side.