xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mermaid711

Is My Height Normal For My Age? 56 12 yr old Is This Normal?

Hate to dig up an old topic but I wanted to add a response..

You are absolutely normal and looking at your parents height.. It is absolutely normal.. You still have a lot of growing :(

I also hate looking alot older than i am. The people at the movie theater don't give you the ticket discount.

It is the contrary with me.. I look so young even though I am legal enough to drink and drive (Not at the same time :() When I go to the movies or go out to a club with my boyfriend... They ask for my driver's license :(

If it makes you any happier.. I have a younger cousin, she is 14 and she is already 5 feet 11 inches... When we go out together she looks like a giant while I look like a midget :( Reminds me of Full Metal Alchemist..

But despite all of this I am very proud of my height 5 feet 1 inch . I can crawl through tiny places and get discounts at the amusement parks :)

BMI is very inaccurate and is an outdated tool developed by the government to track statistical data. It does not take into account body composition, so most elite athletes with extra muscle mass and little bodyfat will register high on the scale, and anorexics low on the scale.The best thing to do is get your bodyfat percentage tested. You can do this yourself with hand calipers, or find someone to do it for you (many health clubs have this service). Impedence scales and other such devices are very inaccurate, so calipers are your most accurate and viable means (total water immersion is actually the most accurate but not viable for most people).Mike

I was 5'5" at the end of seventh grade, so I understand. Ironically, this is my current height, so now, when it's good to be tall, I'm short. ::sigh:: My brother, on the other hand, was almost 6' at that age; he's freshman in high school now and is like 6'5". Since boys tend to grow much more slowly, he has TOWERED over everyone for so long...often I would see his friends and wonder why he was hanging out with little kids. So you're definitely not alone, some people just grow taller faster. It can be annoying, but it's normal. And luckily, our society doesn't attach a stigma to it...unlike being overweight, there is no shame associated with it. So be proud!

being short for your age.Is My Height Normal For My Age?

I cant find anything right with being short for my age.I have just turned 16 and my height is 4'9 I havent grown for the past 4 years.I know so because I am still wearing my same school unifrom from when I started school and the same clothes I wear outside.My feet havent grown neither I have been a size 12 since I was 10.I have a sister who is 17 and she is 5'5 and another sister who is 14 and she is 5'6.Then comes my brother who is 11 and he is already 4'11 and still growing.In my family there is also my mum who is 4'9 like me and our dad is 5'4.All the family say me and mum are like a pair of bookends even funnier when my nan  comes round to see us as she is 4'8 now after always being 4'9.I noticed it first when she used to see us because me mum and nan were face to face with eachother.Nowadyas she is a little shorter than us she told me that she could lose another couple of inches over the years.This made me abit distraught as I was thinking if that is the case me and mum could end up about 4'6.This is going to be a nightmare.We already have trouble finding clothes now if we get shorter we have no chance.We were at a wedding and someone mentioned to my nan that she seemed shorter than usual she said yes it is true.So they joked that she would be hard to find if she loses anymore height.This made my nan rather upset when she mentioned it to me.I decided to tell my mum who decided to see this person and told her to keep her thoughts to herself.I mean this woman was only 5'0 herself. 

-reply by harrison ingham

being short for your age.Is My Height Normal For My Age?

I cant find anything right with being short for my age.I have just turned 16 and my height is 4'9 I havent grown for the past 4 years.I know so because I am still wearing my same school unifrom from when I started school and the same clothes I wear outside.My feet havent grown neither I have been a size 12 since I was 10.I have a sister who is 17 and she is 5'5 and another sister who is 14 and she is 5'6.Then comes my brother who is 11 and he is already 4'11 and still growing.In my family there is also my mum who is 4'9 like me and our dad is 5'4.All the family say me and mum are like a pair of bookends even funnier when my nan  comes round to see us as she is 4'8 now after always being 4'9.I noticed it first when she used to see us because me mum and nan were face to face with eachother.Nowadyas she is a little shorter than us she told me that she could lose another couple of inches over the years.This made me abit distraught as I was thinking if that is the case me and mum could end up about 4'6.This is going to be a nightmare.We already have trouble finding clothes now if we get shorter we have no chance.We were at a wedding and someone mentioned to my nan that she seemed shorter than usual she said yes it is true.So they joked that she would be hard to find if she loses anymore height.This made my nan rather upset when she mentioned it to me.I decided to tell my mum who decided to see this person and told her to keep her thoughts to herself.I mean this woman was only 5'0 herself. 

-reply by harrison ingham

short for my ageIs My Height Normal For My Age?

There is quite a few things wrong with being short.You would have thought by now that I would be used to being short but NO I aint.I have just turned 17 and my height is 5'0,next comes my sister who is 16 and she is 5'5 followed lastly by my youngest sister she is 14 and  her height is 5'4.My dad is 5'2 tall and my mum is 5'6 so sadly for me I got my dad's height which I wouldnt have minded if I was his height.I remember always being pretty short compared to my friends at school and having older kids laugh at me because I was short.My mum was forever saying to me don't worry you will grow.At family gatherings I had family members saying to me that if I wasnt careful my younger sister would catch me up.It was true and it did happen it must have been around the age of 9 at lower school we already had to be measured by the classes for our height measurements.Has usual I came up being one of the shortest in my class I was measured at 4'3 and the tallest was 4'10.Then comes my sisters class they did the same but she was in the middle of her row.Her height turned out at 4'4, I already knew she was catching up with me but I still thought I just had the edge on her.That is when my class started laughing  saying how I was even shorter than my sister.Then over the years she seemed to just step on the gas and grow,my growth was more steady over this time with my final growth when I hit 16 I was measured at 5'0 then.I was on a par with alot of the girls in class whereas many boys were nearly hitting 6'0.I tried everything to grow like stretching exercises and drinking lots of milk nothing helped so I had to live with it.When my youngest sister caught up with me it just got worse,I had lots of name calling from people in school.Many names were terrible,I was called munchkin and dwarf baby and to this day I still get shouted out HOI  MIDGET.Everyone thinks that I am the youngest in my family whereas I am the oldest it isnt really fair as I would have loved to be mum's height.It looks like my sisters will be like her.I am in good company though with being short has I have an uncle who is 4'10 and my grandad is 4'9.So there seems to be a few of us and in the town where we live there are some shorter people so it helps us. 

-reply by samuel lopez

Your height is perfectly normal for your age. I was around 5'6" when I was twelve, and seven years later, I'm still 5'6". Also, considering that you have relatively tall parents, that makes it even more normal for you to be 5'6". You could grow a little more, or you could not grow any more at all, and your height would still be normal. In fact, the average height of a woman in the Western world is 5'6" - so don't worry hun, you're not too tall nor too short, you're right there somewhere in the middle. ;)

I know a 12 year old at around 6ft 2"He is very tall now at the age of 17 about 6ft 6" don't think he'll grow much bigger. Although his whole family are tall. This definitely effects the height of people in families.

im 5Is My Height Normal For My Age?

ive always been the tallest in my grade sense 2nd grade and now that I'm I and 6th, its gotten worse. People call me "GIANT" and "SKY SCRAPER" also "MOUNT EVEREST" I get notes about it all the time in class. None of the guys in my grade have ever had I crush on me, people make fun of me in the locker room at school. My parents and other adults that I know have told me time and time again that ill enjoy being tall once I get older, IS THAT REALLY TRUE??

-reply by madeline

Hi, i just graduated from the seventh grade, and at my last physical, i was 5'6 tall. Is this normal? My dad is abot 6' and my mom is somewher around 5'8. im almost the youngest person, but almost the tallest in my class. i hate being taller than all the guys because it is almost impossible to get a date. (but luckily i have one. I'm so lucky!!!)

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Topic title must be specific; one-line summary of your post. Modified.

I am in eigth grade and i am only 5'. All of my friends are taller than me and some are 5'10. I am short so you are probably normal height and also alot of guys do like tall girls! It really doesnt matter what height you are if a guy likes you he will ask you out.