xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Unstoppable

Help With Database

Ugh, I need to learn more PHP, but for now can you fix it, try to see if it works and then send back? So i can look at the differences between the 2. And the login system was from a tutorial on this site.

Well, aside from the difficulties you are experiencing with php as per the above reply, it appears that you have tackled a difficult task. The Tutorial you are using has MySql code, but you are using an MS Access Database, so there is one problem there.Also, it appears to me that the site files you have zipped are a collection of several different Tutorials using various files and methods which you are not quite familiar with. What i mean by this is that the Tutorial you link to above includes nothing about Lost Passwords, but your site files do...I suggest you scale down the Features you are trying to implement for now. Go back to the original Tutorial and start over. This time, simply set the goal of allowing users to Register and Log-in. Build your database and tables according to what you have available, either mysql or Access, don't mix them... Forget about verifying sessions, setting cookies for now. You can add those features later, similarly the Lost password feature. Go back to a basic Log-in system to start with.If you only have access to Access, find a Tutorial that uses the ms Access method, otherwise download and Install a WAMP or XAMPP to set up php and mysql servers on your Localhost for testing purposes.. those are my recommendations...

Well I didn't mix several tutorials, i only tried them and afterwards moved them to them 'database' inside the site zip file. There is no link to these files, so there isnt a problem with that. And yes like you said, the problem is that i dunno how to use MySQL, cuz i dont understand how it works and didnt find a download on the official site. I'll try to find it, so it might work

Sorry for double post, but I cant seem to make a database in WAMP, I tried to do it in SQLitemanager and PHPmyadmin. It doesnt appear to be creating a database and in PHPmyadmin I create a database, but when i try to make a table it keeps returning errors about the number of fields...Can anyone help, yet again

Start your Text Editor and open the Start your Web Browser.Start your WAMP server.Start your Mysql server.Select to begin phpMyAdmin from your web Browser.Once you have the phpMyAdmin start page, click on the name of the Database in the drop-down list on the left hand side.Click on the SQL tab.From the file you have in that zip file you posted, there is a file with an "SQL" file extension. Start your Text Editor and open that file, Cut and paste that file into the textarea on the SQL page to have phpMyAdmin run the Query to build the Table you need for the Login system.Go back to the phpMyadmin Main page and look to see if the table has been created. The number beside the Database name is the number of Tables for the database. Your install should now show (1) if this new table has been successfully added.

Ugh, does anyone have time to make me a complete login system that works, including the database? Thx in advance

for what purpose is this login system anyway? as you are having a hard time creating one, why don't you just use ready-made scripts for this? you may try scripts from http://www.opensourcecms.com/ for your particular requirement. CMS stands for "content management system"... and if you are creating something you want for online use -- be it a blog, a portal, a forum, or whatever -- you can find open source scripts there. any standard CMS you can find there comes with a complete login system, mainly for admin purposes, but is also used to register new users if you want. the main selling point for these scripts is that you can easily manage your content, and have a ready support system if you run into trouble, since these are widely used online. you can just drop by their respective online communities or forums to ask for assistance if you run into trouble. plus, these are regularly updated because of the development teams and users behind them.

but then again, these would require your understanding of the databases involved, be it PHP + MySQL or ASP + MS Access. and since it seems that the database is your primary stumbling block, i suggest an alternative which uses "flatfiles" or just a basic text file as your database. if you need help with that flatfile system, just ask for it in that thread assigned for it. good luck!
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I think there are some tutorials about making login systems for your website, here at the Xisto tutorials section. Maybe you would want to try searching at the tutorials forum, here at Xisto..