xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sylenzednuke

Will Ubuntu Run On My System? Hardware questions...

I want to switch to Linux and if not stop, minimize my use of Windows, I might use it only to play games and Photoshop. :)

So I need to know whether I will be able to run it on my PC, the official site, well I surfed it and the info didn't really say anything much, I run on:

Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00 GHZ
2.67 GHz, 512 MB SDR RAM (I am already thinking of upgrading this anyways.)
There's some problem with my video card, so you can expect it to be 0 MB. :( (But I might upgrade it in a couple of months, I want to do it with my own money.)
And I have some ASUS motherboard which I bought 3 years back and it was the best at that time. :( (It's so old that it's no longer there on their site!)

So I just want to know whether I will be able to run Ubuntu on mu system properly. Not really the most minimal performance but I want it to run smoothly!

And if I'm planning to buy a new motherboard which will support like RAM upto 2 GB and video memory of like 256 MB, how much would it cost? Cost of motherboard, RAM and video card all of them?

And I'd prefer AMD over Intel and ATi over nVidia.

This was the only place I could think of to post this, if they mods think there is a better and more relevant sub-forum then please move it there. :)

Dude, your current system specs is a bit better than mine (and i'm running KDE!), so of course you should be able to run Ubuntu with no problem! :)As for new hardware costs: a new good motherboard will cost about, if not over, $100; processor (depending if it's dual-core or not), since it's AMD, probably over $150 (assuming you want something faster than what you have); RAM for 1gig maybe around $70; video card about maybe as much as the processor for an average one. Recommend Newegg for all your computer needs. :)

Dude, your current system specs is a bit better than mine (and i'm running KDE!), so of course you should be able to run Ubuntu with no problem! :)

As for new hardware costs: a new good motherboard will cost about, if not over, $100; processor (depending if it's dual-core or not), since it's AMD, probably over $150 (assuming you want something faster than what you have); RAM for 1gig maybe around $70; video card about maybe as much as the processor for an average one. Recommend Newegg for all your computer needs. :)

Thanks! I guess I should clean up my PC (I assembled it on my own. :() and then I should switch to Ubuntu as soon as possible 'cause even XP has been causing a few problems lately but that maybe for the hundreds of screw-ups I've done.

Will I have to buy a new processor if I buy a new motherboard? Like can't I have this one placed on the new one 'cause I don't think I do need a better processor for now, if I'll ever become that much of a gaming buff, I'll be better off buying a PS3 and I don't think I will ever move from strategy and some FPS. :P

And my motherboard can/might support PCI graphic cards, so are there any good ones available which may run if not all, majority of today's good games? And how much would that cost then?

And don't you think importing stuff from California (Newegg) will cost me just too much? I mean the shipping charges, customs and all? :( But yes the prices are kinda good. :( Kinda 'cause I don't know the current market prices here. :)

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - This one is not a bad deal at all for me. :)

Heh, yeah, i think shipping over seas might bring the S&H over $10. As for buying a new motherboard and its compatibility with other hardware: check the motherboard-that-you're-planning-on-buying's specs and see if they meet up with your current socket for the processor; same for RAM, check out the speed (e.g. DDR2 800, 667, etc). When replacing the motherboard, the processor and RAM tends to become incompatible, unless you purchase one that supports your current RAM and processor; everything else basically stays the same. Well, if you want oustanding performance for games, then you'll probably have to buy GFX cards that are over $200, but the one you listed here (according to some of the reviews) isn't all that bad for gaming.

Heh, yeah, i think shipping over seas might bring the S&H over $10. As for buying a new motherboard and its compatibility with other hardware: check the motherboard-that-you're-planning-on-buying's specs and see if they meet up with your current socket for the processor; same for RAM, check out the speed (e.g. DDR2 800, 667, etc). When replacing the motherboard, the processor and RAM tends to become incompatible, unless you purchase one that supports your current RAM and processor; everything else basically stays the same. Well, if you want oustanding performance for games, then you'll probably have to buy GFX cards that are over $200, but the one you listed here (according to some of the reviews) isn't all that bad for gaming.

Shipping costs are still fine, I don't mind them but customs will really worry me, sometimes it so happens that we have to pay 120% of the actual price of the product we bought!

Okay, here I would need check which motherboard is mine now. And I don't need outstanding gaming performance at all, as I mentioned earlier, I'll mostly play MMORPGs which only require video memory upto 128 MB I guess for now, those free ones. Strategy games I don't think will require this much of video memory too! And not all FPS games require that much of a high configured video card as far as I've seen. And this one's 512 MB, my friends use 256 MB ones and I had a 128 MB one but somehow it stopped working. :) So I guess for me, it's really good for an average gamer. (I haven't played a game in 1 entire year! Used to play loads of Counter Strike and Unreal Tournament and many single-player games, not anymore, thanks to my graduation year. :))

Anyways, thanks for all this help, and I am just going to shift to Ubuntu first and then think whether I have to buy off new hardware.

Dude , Ubuntu would run fine on your PC. Some hardware may give problems though. BUt if you can connect to the internet after installation, i dont think there would be a problem as it has a vast support network.

I had Ubuntu running fine on a Pentium 4 / 2.4 GHz and with 256Mb of RAM. It is pretty easy to connect to internet, too. Just give it a try. Don't forget you can have both Ubuntu and windows running on the same machine. The Ubuntu instalation should give you that option and create a partition for Ubuntu. Just do it! And it looks great, too :)

If your running Windows at the moment, any other OS will run fine on systems nowadays...Hey its actually true...how many of you guys actually prefer Linux or even other OS than Windows?

If your running Windows at the moment, any other OS will run fine on systems nowadays...Hey its actually true...how many of you guys actually prefer Linux or even other OS than Windows?

Right now I prefer Windows because I play games a lot. But I reeeaally like Linux (Ubuntu) because it's safe and secure. Although it does take a while to learn linux, the ubuntu community is there to help you out.

Just a note to the topic poster, expect some command line tutorials to install some programs. It took me about a week or so to get a gist of how Linux Os performs.

You know, this Ubuntu is really gaining popularity. I have heard of it so much. Even I use it.

Your system will be fine. I have ran SUSE 9.3 on a ton of systems that were just pentium 2 processors. Currently i have 10.1 on my P3 800 mhz laptop with 512 ram and it runs great. You will be fine. As for getting a new motherboard, it might work with your old processor as long as it is a slot 775 motherboard and supports the Frontside Bus (FSB) of that P4. Just check those out and you should be fine.

Your current PC configuration is perfectly okay to run Ubuntu on it....But in-case you have any problem (if you experience performance delay), you can try another version of ubuntu called kubuntu.Kubuntu uses K desktop environment so, it will need less hardware requirements. Ordinary ubuntu uses GNOME environment which will need more hardware support. You can also try disabling the desktop effects in Ubuntu. (infact those desktop effects are amazing to linux standards).The cost of a good intel motherboard will be above rupees 5500. A 1Gb RAM will cost you 4000 rupees.And a vedio card of 256MB will be around 3000 rupees.