xisto Community
Stormsinger

Heroes For Hire, A Game Idea That I'm Trying To Create me just explaining a game for feedback and ideas

Consolidating all of the posts into one massive post, which i can then hopefully add to

We have 2 developers so far, and we're totally willing to have anyone else with any and all coding experience, or anyone that wants to help work out game kinks. Right now theres more kinks then game. If your at all interested, come on down to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and sign up, or pm me or email me :unsure:

INTRO

So yeah, i'm trying to think of a game idea to create. I'm a computer science student, 4th(out of 5) years. I'm looking for a summer project for myself and i thought i'd try and create something productive. So here we are.

Before i go on,
Thoughts, Impacts? Feedback???? Any of it I'd love
Only second to the love i'd give for anyone that wanted to help out, whether conceptually or codingly.

Please post:) I want this to be a huge developement(at least for me), anyone that wants in, can see the vision, just post it.

Alright so

If anyone thinks they can help it, that'd be so sweet. If nothing else it will keep me on top of things and motivated

The game idea -

You are a something... a coordinator of some description. You have a series of heroes that you send out on missions.

I'm not sure whether it should be medievalish... as in swords and spears, or futuristic with fleets and technology.. I'm leaning towards Swords and spears, because i love that stuff smile.gif

I want to try to have a huge political component in it.

Im thinking of a possible clan component, with clans having leaders who take all the missions available, gather intelligence on them, and post requirements and such.

Possibly a clan wars component, clans taking land and resources from each other for supremecy.

Thinking of a multi-level arrangement, someone can become a leader of a group(or clan), then a clan can dominate to the point where all the members become area supervisors, and so on. Continually able to advance yourself.

I want a dynamic advancement system. If heroes on missions are faced with issues they can't solve, they can test against their intelligence or creativity aspect to come up with a possible solution. Then they can carry that solution with them to new missions.

POLITICAL:

So the political component, i want huge rivalries. I want it so that you are being compared to everyone else, and judged. If you want to make a hit on an opponent, and you send out heroes or troops to raid an opponenets "territory", then you'll get busted. So... what you do is you hire out some lowbody to make the hit for you. For the same money as hiring a quality merc, you can hire out a low person and they can make a profit on it. Everyone's happy, and it promotes the lowbodies.

I want there to be a huge chain of command. People don't know where other nations are, so staying small and hidden will be adventagious except that it limits your growth.

Knowing info about your opponents is valuable. Mutually assured vulnerability is a valuable tool, and it can be crazy interesting.

You want alliances, enemies, resources... etc.

So, clans and such.

clans and a misleading term.

So the mission list, i want it to break down like this. There is a list of missions, globally, constantly being repopulated.

I'm not sure what the missions will be.

Perhaps theirs a world condition where there are valuable resources constantly being spawned

Possibilities:

There's monsters invading the world, match your heroes abilities against the monsters abilities, loot and such and such
There is a meteor storm of magical infused material constantly falling. The material often attracts attention so their will often be opposition... etc..

So theres a list of missions.

Whoever is your commander, (there's always someone higher then you, even if its a computer commander), they will be giving out missions which are alterations on the other missions.

The commander will have goals, and will set out rewards for specifics missions accomplished, or accomplished in a certain fashion.

--Oh, a note on another section, I want there to be options for splitting up your team and running multiple missions at once.

Heroes:

I want you to be able to gain heroes by training them, finding them by chance, or buying them

For stats, i'm thinking something like..
Strength Dexterity
Endurance Awareness
Mind Charisma

Whatever the rolling system is, it will probably be based on a combination of two skills for most things.
For examples:
Str - Dex Melee Attack, Physical Actions
Dex - Awr Ranged Attack, Perception
Awr - Cha Social Perceptions
Cha - Mind Lying, Cheating, Trickiness
Mind - End Willpower
End - Str Toughness

Besides their stats, i want personality traits
Traits may be either advantageous and disadventageous
Or they might be split into advantages and disadvantages

For example, conviction. The hero runs with their emotions, if the hero sees acts against his beliefs, he will be inclined to resolve them, against better judgement, but he will be motivated to and act more effectively for it.

I want heros to have alignment, personal beliefs, etc.

Problems:

Ok, i don't know how i'm going to put in a graphical component to my game.

I know how to do the whole java thing with swing and stuff, but i don't know an EASY way to make it prominent.

I think the idea was to integrate the mysql database to hold all of the variables and things for each individual person, then have the graphical interface reference the database to get information and such. That way it would be easy to have people interacting with each other, because there is one communal database where all the data is being stored.

One major problem is trying to get a php script interacting with the mysql database to connect and reference the 2d graphical environment.. and vise versa

Edited by Stormsinger (see edit history)

A few questions:1) Is this game going to be coded in c++?2) Is this game going to have 2d or 3d graphics?3) Are you going to use opengl?4) Do you need a web developer to code the home-page of this site? If so, I'd do it for you.

I should warn you that re-posting the same messages over and over again, wont count, and will be considered as spam. But its pretty easy to get enough credits, just post once a day, and you'll have enough credits at the end of month, and will probably have a lot left over to last the next month as well.

I find it very amazing that some of you people say I am going to make a game. It is so cool. I wish I could do that stuff. Heck I would be happy if I knew how to make flash games. :unsure:

stormsinger, instead of making additional posts, use the Edit button to add or modify your previous posts, otherwise, a member will report the consecutive posts and a Mod will need to reply to the post, meaning you could be reprimanded. It makes the entire Forum cleaner and the credit script will adjust your count so that you earn the same number of credits for adding to a previous post as you would with a new posting.*merged posts*

Alright I know java, but if you read my sig, you'd know how much i despise it. If you need help with the gui i could help you with that. I'm also not bad with photoshop so I could do some of the graphics for the site. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much time I would be willing to devote to this game, I am already working on 4 other games simultaneously, so I'm not sure how much time i'll have. But i graduate in 2 weeks, and I should have plenty of time over the summer.Aim I getting paid for this? :unsure:

Looks like a great idea. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about coding and making games. But if you need someone to test out the game once you have it done, I'd be glad to and give you feedback on what was good and bad. Best of luck and have fun!!

You know I was thinking that building a 2d game is a good idea as it will help to get the game systems down,it sounds like great practice, I guess you are going to school for it,right now I am experimenting with 3ds max but thats a little far from using with 2d,I am pretty good with radiant level editing software and that is also 3d software,i am not sure about what game engines it would be compatible with besides Q3 engine if any.Is your 2d game going to have any physics?

Hello I would like to do this game with that is I would like to work with you on it. But under one condition that everyone involved are equal members of the team no significant leader and so on. We all work together. I would like to help you with the game and I was thrilled when you mentioned that you would like to use Java. I know java and I am programming in it for third year now also I think that you would need client side and server side scripting in which I am relativly good at least I think so :) :)Also along java I understnad and I am able to write in Visual Basic then C# C++ and I know php along with mysql forweb site programiing.Hopefully you'll acept me also site would be first thing we would need to coordinate our efforts.Good luck with the project even if you don't agree with me. Hopefully I will be able to play it one day.

Adding on May 23, 2007Further explanation:The game is going to be a application in medieval resource management, gathering, and capturing.The Resources:Gold($$)Imbued Magical coins: (usable to power magic, items.. etc)Technology: (magical and non-magical) Improved Overall Methods(learn how to gain more food out of the same land) Person Techs(help your craftsman to be better at their work.. or create a intelligence network among your people ITEMS: Everyone loves items, they will be ways for normal people to do extraordinary things, and your heros to do amazing thingsBuildings, Constructions: These will give you bonuses, help your people, train your people, produce resources, etcWorking Population: Self-ExplanatoryNext, one of the biggies... YOUR HEROES: Your heroes are the driving force of most organizations. Your heroes are your sword and shield, complete missions and gather resources To aid your heroes are henchmen, non-heroic people that can still stand out and take charge. Then there are the brute squads. These are the loyal followers that will protect their hero, overwhelm the enemy, keep watch, or anything else that any person can do. Alliances & Oathes: Oathes are the bonds and promises made in alliances and deals. These are binding contracts sealed with magic ensuring that both sides keep their side of the arrangement. These oathes can form the foundations for strong bonds, simply because the consequences of breaking the oathes can be so dire. Lastly, and probably one of the most powerful. INFORMATION: So you've been attacked by an anonymous source, sometime you've never had dealings with. You suspect foul play. By sending out your feelers and maybe a few minor fees, you can find out that another nations spy witnessed the exchange, and knows that actually it was one of your rivals who paid off your assailants. Information is powerful, knowing ones weaknesses, strengths, etc.--------------(This is just a random example)I want the source of most magic to be based on magictokensToo many games are based on whoring and stockpiling. Heroecommand will make it so that you create all of these magic tokens(or find them.. or some such, another thing to work out), and they go have colors. ROYGBIVThe common ones are Red -> Going to Violet(Purple)After a time period(probably 1 day real time, or less maybe), they shift one colordown. Each successive color is more stable and easier to use(they all work almost perfectly as it is)But as they shift they will have a chance to lose their magic. (Each shift is safer then the last)