xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
galexcd

Shoutbox Bug [resolved]

I wasn't sure where else to put this but basically the shout-box doesn't work in safari. At all. I don't know if i can send messages or not, but none of the messages show up. The old shoutbox worked until you updated it, and i thought you would fix it or something, but i guess this is the final product because it hasn't worked for about 5 months. It would be nice if it worked again for us safari users! :unsure: Thanks

Do you allow javascript in your Browser? the shoutbox would require that, so if you have it disabled, then the features won't be available.Just a quick thing to check...

Sadly, he's right. I only use FF to view the Xisto.com because the shoutbox, indeed, does not work in Safari. Kind of a bummer if you ask me...

This happens to me too, so I do as WM said and I just use firefox. I dont really talk in the shoutbox that much so I guess it doesn't affect me as greatly as WM :unsure:

Yes i've got JS on. It's worked up untill you guys changed something. If i remember correctly, there was no shout-box for like a day, and then it came back, updated, but ever since then it never worked. I never really minded, but it would be nice if it worked again.

The new Shoutbox uses Ajax Technology, which Safari doesn't work with well. No doubt the browser's next upgrade will have better support for Ajax, but until then, might be best to download and use Firefox for mac to view the Xisto Forums like Watermonkey and bk2070 have stated.

Safari does support ajax, but if it's written poorly, it doesn't have as much give-way as other browsers have. But i've been able to use ajax with safari on other sites, as well as code ajax for safari just fine.

I know others have notice that ff2 seems buggy when it comes to some ajax applications. I had to switch over to IE in order to see the shoutbox here on trap for while, because something was screwy going on with the ajax, but eventually something was fix or an update to ff fix it somehow. Of course hopefully ff3 fixes some of those problems and most likely safari will see an upgrade for ajax. Which sadly in my searching I haven't found any information on when or if that will happen.

Well the same thing is happening to me and I use ICab ( A very Very Old Web Browser ) So if anyone could tell me how to fix these please Pm me!

If any move has been made to fix the shoutbox, it still doesn't work. :lol: I don't want to be a nuisance or anything, but it would be nice if the shoutbox worked again... I know that safari is compatible with ajax, just sometimes if the function that sends the data to the server doesn't return the correct value, it won't always receive the data. Perhaps now that safari is out for windows more initiative will be taken? Perhaps you could have it check weather the browser isn't internet explorer or Firefox, or if javascript is disabled, and display a simple php shout-box that refreshes or something? At least that would be better than the blank box that appears :D

Hey alex have you tried downloading the new safari beta 3 at all? The reason I say that is because when I downloaded safari on my computer (pc) the ajax shoutbox worked fine and I was able to shout with no problems.

Here's the link

http://www.apple.com/safari/

I figured as much that you still had the old browser, you have to remember ajax is somewhat brand new (about 2 years) and so any browsers before 2005 will have a hard time supporting it. Although Firefox 2 (can't remember which version) had a very hard time running the ajax shout box so I had to switch to IE 7 for awhile until I believe Firefox 2.0.3 came out then I switched back again.

So for all Safari users download Safari 3 beta to fix your shoutbox problems

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)