xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
masugidsk8r

Ubuntu Issue: Lexmark Printers

Oookay, it's me agen. So I've listened to your words and installed Ubuntu Fiesty 7.0.2 and it's pretty good. I like it except for one issue I'm having right now. I have a printer: Lexmark X5470 and it's detected by Ubuntu. However, the drivers it's currently supporting is only 5000 and it doesn't work. I want to install a .PDD version of the driver but I can't find it. Can anyone help me?

Lexmarks, unfortunately, are not well supported by CUPS and SANE (the main Linux systems for printing and scanning) and Lexmark themselves simply believe that if you are running Linux then you should be writing your own drivers :unsure: ! Unfortunately the best advice I can give you is to get an old Windows box up and running and connect the printer to that, then print via Samba. Alternatively, depending on how old the printer is you might be able to return it and get a refund, as they tell you if it works with Windows or Mac OS, but not Linux - you have to try it.

In the words of the OpenPrinting Database:

Lexmark x5470

Color inkjet printer, this is a Paperweight

*gasp*!!Lexmark x5470 is not trash. It's a pretty cool printer. It's good that it can run stand-alone. It's a good between from home to business.Anyways, I decided to use Windows 2000 for now and just wait until Dell integrates Ubuntu. It should be user-friendly when Dell decides to have Ubuntu installed on its systems. I'll wait for that time to come.

i had the same problem but i just installed the driver manually and it worked.i am also having trouble with my broadcom wireless card it just wont work with ubuntui have 6.06 mabe it will work with the new ubuntu anyone know???? :):( :( :) :) :):P :P :(

Lexmark is Windows only.Ubuntu Issue: Lexmark Printers

I made the mistake of buying a Lexmark Z2320 printer. It had good reviews, etc. What I didn't know was that Lexmark thinks about Linux users the way Republicans think about African-American voters-write them off because there aren't enough of them to justify the effort. So I'll probably buy another Lexmark product again when I vote for a Republican again. I'd advise both not to hold their breath.

-reply by Jimi Crawford

It's sad that you have to bring your racist and partisan myopic political views into a forum such as this.  How sad for you.