xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
DjLuki

What Are The Steps To Making A Website?

well id say:Identify the clients/your needs of the websiteIdentify the best ways of meeting these needs, eg tables, frames, images, text, etc...Make a design for the websiteFinalise the design with meetings with the clientCreate a prototypeModify if neededCreate the real thingTest itEvaluate/maintainI realise that if you were really making a website you might not do all of this, ive never planned anything in my life but there ya go! When ive had to go websites in college these are basically the steps we follow to get the marks, it never works that way but we have to show "evidence" that we did all of that. So take or leave what you want from my little list!

shadowx pretty much covered pretty much hte major idea's for creating a site, but to make another addition see what other websites that doing the same thing and see what you can do to make them better. Another area that you would have to cover would be advertising, see which sites you can advertise with that are similar to yours and thus provide a broader resource for subject matter. Who knows you may have one subject that doesn't cover everything and the other site might so it's a catch-22 on that when advertising one site you have to make sure they are advertising you as well. Another thing you have to do as well and you should get use to it and that is validating the code so your website will run smoothly without the browsers running quirks mode on it and ruining the design in small ways. Also another thing you have to do as well is set up SEO to your site so you can get it properly index into search for people to find which includes keywords, description and other meta related items. Another thing you have to look for is web hosting of course, which hosting plan suits your needs and of course what they have to offer in order for you to get your site going, so I would say the order would look something like this:-Identify the Type of site you want to make-Identify the web hosting provider-What do you plan to have on the site-Design the prototype and adjust accordingly-Validate the coding to make sure nothing will go wrong on the browser-Upload the site to the provider and then adjust anything you need to-Once Site goes online submit it to search engines-Set up advertising with other sites-Then Maintain the site.I think there is a few other things but make any additions to the lists that posters see fit.

Well, I usually just do it however it goes...But it sounds like it's for college work, so I'll try and think of something:First would be to come up with the idea for a websiteNext I guess could be coming up with what information would be on thereThen making a plan of the layoutProbably actually making the layout would be nextThen adding the informationAnd then probably finalizing/testingThat's something similar to what I'd do :unsure:

Steps of making website:*Make blank html document*Recommended - write code, not use graphic editor*Define page title, charset, put your meta tags (Optional)*Background (some color or image)*Define where is a top, navigation, main place, bottom for signature*When design of template is over, re count your website (ex. index.html, about.html, contact.html - now copy template 3 times, and rename it)*Define hyperlink on all pages to connect it between.*When making site is over-Test on your computer*If is test on your computer all right, find some hosting to put page on internet

Identify the clients/your needs of the websiteIdentify the best ways of meeting these needs, eg tables, frames, images, text, etc...Make a design for the websiteFinalise the design with meetings with the clientCreate a prototypeModify if neededCreate the real thingTest itEvaluate/maintainthat probably is the best method to go about it.

Generalizations are exactly what a newbie needs to hear (in the beginning).

But once, you crawl out of the overview, the devil is in the details.

To build a fully functional website requires several skill sets. And you could spend an entire lifetime, hanging out in any one corner of any of these individually required talents.

Advertising… Exactly where do you advertise?

Computer/ business advertising and marketing / financial terminology…all impediments without specific, meaningful guidance and clear definitions. (How many varied definitions of blog have you heard?)

Collecting money from the site to support a profitable website… where do you go and how do you set up an account (Penpal, for example)?

Individual attention from domain experts… where is the point of access?

I’m starting to get the hang of hopping and bopping around Trap 17. I think that the site could be more newbie user friendly, but it's a very organized site. Trap 17 handles a very complex, input / output traffic structure. But, personally, I operate with a works / works better system of thought.

There is an innocent, but consistent tendency for experts to assume the rudiments. This universal assumption is the sponsor of a technologically advanced agenda for extinction.

(I’m not talking about the arrogant know-it-alls, who derive great pleasure by creating insurmountable linguistic obstacles and confusion. Trap 17 doesn't appear to have any of those creatures lurking about.)

The fundamental steps from A – Z are the difference between a newbie succeeding or failing. There is a group of specific, physical actions required to set up a website. Sure, there are variations. That is why block diagrams were invented.

Floundering about (rediscovering the light bulb) trying to pry knowledge from people, who truly believe that they become less, if you become more is Medieval. (And I'm not talking knights in shinig armor)

I think that real life has enough challenges without having others pile on egotistical and contrived workloads... or am I wrong?

The things that you need to know about in building a website are as following:-What is the topic of your website-Who is the website for-How many people are going to help you -if more than you then what are their jobs-What is the deadline-What languages you are going to use-what programs you are going to use-now just start creating itGreat websites that give you information on how to build website is http://www.w3schools.com/. or you can just google it an you will certainly find many different websites that will offer you valuable information.

1. Think about the idea of the website. 2. Get write a plan about how the site must be constructed and how it will function.3. Get a good theme / make a theme using graphics edit software like Photoshop. Write the HTML part.4. Go fill it up with information and stuff :) 5.(recommendation) Install a forum along with your website. It will help your community grow and review your work.

First you'd want to learn HTML. Whether you put graphics in your first site or not doesn't matter. After that learn CSS and possible pick up on photoshop. If you want a flexible site learn a scripting language.

Ideas are everything, if you can come up with an innovative new website... You can become very popular and insanely rich!If you have no idea how to code use Microsoft Frontpage (If you have office) If you don't you can search for some free WYSIWYG editors on the web.If you just want a blog, https://wordpress.org/ would be the way to go.Lots of addons and usability on wordpress.

First you need to know what the site is about. What's its purpose: to promote, to inform, to sell, or to communicate? To create a menu or navigation system you'll need to know the site's purpose. If the site is large and/or the content on the site needs frequent updating or is an interactive site, you may need PHP scripting. I'll assume you're designing a simple site.To design the pages, many web designers start in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, whichever graphics program you like. The Gimp is a good program available for free on download.com. They create a graphical representation of the site template, probably starting with the logo, then the logo inspires the graphical design of the rest of the template. Personally, I find it easier to create the logo and drop it in a div in a wysiwyg editor. I use the editor rather than a graphics program to get the look of the template since I find it easier and ultimately faster. Then I go into code view and manually clean up the coding. Before you can continue, you'll need to create a navigation system, so you'll need to know what other pages you'll have on your site. To proceed without being clear on page count, you can create a navigation system as a placeholder. You'll need to update it after you've fleshed out your site.Don't place your site on a permanent host prematurely. It may get indexed by the search engines before it's ready, and the search engines might not like what they see. It doesn't need to be complete, but it should have good content and coding.Other posters have laid out some ideas on how to proceed in general. I just wanted to address the nuts and bolts reality that for many designers, you have to actually start somewhere, and it will be in a graphics program designing a logo, which will influence the look of the rest of the graphical design.

Well, there may be other beter ways, but this is how i would go about doing it.

ientify who you are targeting

find out how you can help visitors find your site (ie links, ad banners, search engines)

identify how many pages, you will need, and build a site map (a list of pages and their content, showing how each page links to another, and makes it easy to navigat)

create a CSS stylesheet which will be used on every page (although you may consider a different, plain stylesheet for login pages ect.)

Create the graphics that will be used on every page (like the top banner, footer ect.)

Create the homepage, using a layout that will be used on all pages (with exeptions like login pages in some cases) but do not add content yet.

create a navigation bar, which can be displayed on every page (for easy navigation) (you may want to skip this step if you dont want a navigation bar.

create all the other pages, just without the content. (just the title, and a header, as well as anything displayed on all pages ie. logo, and navigation bars)

link up the navigation bar (or navigation method) so that all the links work, then test each link.

create the graphics for all of the pages.

add in the graphics and other content.

Now the website is complete, just check it all works, and make sure all of the pictures have an ALT attribute, ect, so it is widely accessible.

You now need to find a domain name, make sure you choose the most obvious thing (the first ting a person who didnt know the domain name would guess at, like "yourcompaniesname.com") skip this step if you plan to use a subdomain

find a host, make sure you have enough bandwidth, enough space for the site, and any updates which might be added in the future. Make sure it supports all of the languages you have used (like PHP) a make sure that you do not violate their terms of use in any way.

Upload your website, and check that everything works, and all of the images apear correctly, ect.

Edited by minimcmonkey (see edit history)

The most crucial step in website development is the research and planning you do before you code a page. It's vital that you take the time to determine the purpose and audience of your site before you set it up. Once it's up, things are much more difficult to change. There are many, many resources online where successful website owners go into detail about all the things you'll want to consider. Htmlgoodies.com has a chapter from a book about web site design that you can read for free, and problogger.net has many articles about things to think about (while the site is aimed at blog creation, many of the tips can be applied to any type of website).Once this is in place, you'll want to focus on how to organize the information you're providing. O'Reilly's book Information Architecture and the Worldwide Web is very, very comprehensive about this step. It's aimed at site providing massive amounts of information, so you won't need to focus on this as much if you're having a smaller site. But it's still important.The interface and design of your site is the next step. If your site is hard to navigate and use, users won't waste time trying to figure it out. They'll go somewhere else instead. So you need to make all your organized information easy to access through properly presented links, text, images, etc. Steve Krug's book Don't Make Me Think! is very, very good in this respect. He covers aspects of web usability and ways to test the usability of your site.The aesthetics is also something to consider. You want an attractive, professional looking site. I find that the best way to acheive this is to look at other site designs and take note of the types of things that look good and they types of things that don't. A popular test for whether something is a good idea is the "would amazon.com do it?" test. Loud music and 3948727634 flashy, bright red animated gifs, for example, would probably be a bad idea.Once your site is up, you need to think about mainintaining it and promoting it. How often will you (be able to/need to) update it? How can you reach your target audience with news of your site? By posting on forums and commenting on blogs, you can spread the word. Other sites may also want to trade links with you as your site becomes bigger and more well-known. Again, problogger.net has lots of information about these things.Creating a website is a large process and can be a lot of work, but if you are serious about it and enjoy your topic, it can be a fun experience. Just be sure to give it the time and thought that it deserves, and you will have a successful, well-presented website.