xisto Community
csp4.0

The Meaning Of Time?

I think if you think of time like on a graph, it almost makes perfect sense.For example, when you're graphing on an X,Y plane, you put in an X value, and a Y value comes out of it.In 3d, you put in one of the values, and get the values of two of the other variables.To me, time would be the independent variable, and matter just moves because you're see a different point for an object based on T for time.There was once someone talking about how we live in 3D, so we can easily perceive 2D and 1D, even though they don't really exist. But I think we live in 4D, or maybe even more, but we can only perceive 3D or 4D, because you can easily imagine a 3D object, it's just a little harder than imagining a 2D object. It's almost impossible to perceive the dimension you're actually in.In movies, where they're talking about being from a different "dimension", I think they should be saying they're from a "parallel universe" instead, because when they say they're from a different dimension, it sound's like they came from being in 2D or something before, and that would be practically impossible, from what I can think of. But you never know; anything is possible, it can only be highly improbable.It's kind of hard to explain what I'm saying, but if you have taken math, you should pretty much get what I mean.I don't think you can really think of the beginning of time, because for time to "begin", there would have had to be time before that. You just have to have a point of reference, like everyone's been saying so far.(BC or AD) Then there would be "negative" time, but it would just mean that it was before your point of reference.I've thought about time, space, and all of that stuff a lot, but I can never really get to a conclusion. Like, I never really got why you can't get past the speed of light, because if you are going near the speed of light, and you throw something in front of you, wouldn't it be going faster than the speed of light? Or, if you are going half the speed of light in one direction, and something comes towards you at over half the speed of light, it would appear to be going faster than the speed of light.There is no reference to what "stopped" really is. Our sun could be going the speed of light right now, and we could just be revolving around it, and whenever we are going the same direction as the sun, we could be going faster than the speed of light!I don't really get where I'm wrong about that, but then again, I still haven't read anything by Einstein, or Newton, or Hawking yet; I've only seen stuff on the Discovery channel. :unsure: If anyone knows what I'm wrong about with the speed of light thing, please let me know, but I should probably post a different topic for that. I don't know.

Edited by hippiman (see edit history)

Today I thought of a new meaning for time. We cannot do things super fast and must wait for many things to happen such as a plant growing. What if we did not have to wait? What if everything was happening all the time? I think maybe time could have been created to teach us patience.

They say that time is a man made idea. The passing of it through space. God lives outside of time. Thats a hard concept to deal with. Living outside of what we prerceive as movement. And isnt that all time really is, movement from one point to another. Distance and time go hand in hand.For instance, we measure time by how long it takes to get from point a to point b.Time to us is a material thing, when it actually does not exist. Whether you call it units or blocks or minutes, it's still only our perception. If you could see what God sees living outside of time, then you would know what has haoppened and what will happen. Amazing idea really....

Time for me is another extension to our movement through space. Space and time are relative meaning in order to progress through time you would have to progress through space, by altering the present and unknowingly shaping the future. Thats why the concept of time travel doesn't make sense because in a sense you already ARE traveling through time.

However you CAN Slow down.

Black Holes

The Event Horizon in a black hole has an infinite amount of gravitational pull, so strong not light, or any other form of matter(except Dark Matter, which doesn't react with normal matter) cannot escape, this also means the 3D "space" is bent inward and since Space AND time are relative, Time also bends.

In theory if you come close enough to a black hole and stay there for 5 days and come back to earth, you may have passed 100+ years into the future because TIME slowed down near the hole while the universal time went on. Time Dilation theory I think....

Thats my theory on it

Comments?

I agree with the person who told us about how time is teaching us patience... partly.For example if there wasnt any time then everything would happen at one time, this would caouse utter confusion. For example we would have to be at work, sleeping, playing etc. all at the same time. Sounds impossible eh? So basically I think time is trying to preserve us

Time in simple terms is the measured period in which an action, process or a condition exists or continues. Things like parallel universes probably could exist in a sense, but their is no way to actually prove such a theory as we have no way in being able to contact or know if anyone else is out there. Time is relatively something that we humans created probably if other creatures existed within the large solar system in which we haven't explored yet they may have their own unit of measuring how they age, or if they age at all.

Time is divine in origin because it is a part of God's eternal essence. Time is infinite points of views.

God knows the past, the present and the future of everything in the universe. He knows this because he has infinite points of view in everything from the smallest algae to the birth and deaths of galaxies. People is limited in the way of understanding and therefore his points of view is limited. For example, to an observer who witnesses a customer saying "no thank you" to an offer from a person behind the cashier if the customer wanted to also buy a chocolate bar. The observer will surmise that the customer just wasn't hungry at that moment or probably just doesn't have enough money and end it at that. But to God He knows exactly why the customer said no. God knows where he came from, his upbringing, his good and bad habits, his loves and hates, his hopes, his financial status, his soul. In other words God uses Time to look at all possible points of view for this one particular person and from this God truly knows who/what this person really is. "God knows everything" 1 John 3:20

Time is how you measure your life. By time you work, you sleep, you eat and make money(most important maybe :) ) I am quite curious about time, and studying it can be quite and attempt. And I am finishing by some local popular saying that time is gold.

The way I think about it, time isn't another dimension or a physical object. For us, time is measured in how long it takes for earth to rotate on its axis. As it rotates, we have the sun facing us which gives our planet 24-hour zones, when it is dark, your side of the planet if facing away from the sun, when it is light, it is facing towards it. Most people think about the concept of time machines, It could be possible, but Impossible at the same time. You cant reverse the earth a million times around the sun, and why would their be more dimensions in the same dimension? What I mean is, you cant reverse, or increase the flow of time. Sure, it would be cool. But who wants to go shoot up cowboys and break history? Or who wants to go back in time at all? I mean that, why go back in time at all, when you can change the future? Also, the sun is a confirmed object, not a god :D. Thanks for reading.

I believe time is the fourth dimension in which matter as we know it moves. We can easily move in three directions of space, but time we have yet to freely move around yet. We constantly move down the axis of time; however, Einstein created the theory that you can slow down time by moving very fast in the first three dimension, it has yet to be proven though. So, thats what I think time is, hope this helps.

In upper-division physics courses you learn that time travel is both possible and is occurring. A direct example is when you go to the moon. If I remember right the time difference was 5 years on the moon is 3 days more on Earth (meaning if you spent 5 years there, 5 years and 3 days would pass here on Earth). I'm not 100% sure on those times but more or less the fact is that time is not linear.

You can not go *back* or *forward* in time, though, you can only slow it down (just as you stated). So things like Back to the Future are impossible. What has happened has happened.

I think that the meaning of time is that we are mortals and that is everything the time is the length between two facts and we can see it everyday. We can born today and the time is the only gift to live in the earth, another persons only say that the meaning of time is the meaning of life, and I think that they are not wrong with this aseveration.The time have to finish. Why??? How sense do you see in be inmortals?? The life maybe would be bored and all the people maybe woulb be more worried seeking for a way to die. The time is necessary the size of all the universe, I don?t know if time is the fourth dimension like Einstein said but neither Einstein could understand the time and he only made theories that are only theories and that is all.We have to be critical and maybe the time is the only thing in this physical world that can sure us that God exist and all this world maybe have its ends like everything we see everyday. Anything will survive to the merciless pass of the time.We are all condemned to die because the time will never stop. maybe we can travel around the time someday but maybe this will never help us to live more time.The time will not forgive anything or anyone.

It seems very confusing, but from what I pick up on it, time differs depending on your location. On earth, we really don't know how fast time is moving compared to another planet or universe. If we visit the fictional Universe of Auta for what seems to be 5 minutes, we could come back to earth and 100 years have passed. If we spend 100 years on earth, we could go to Auta and only a few minutes have gone by...so you're an old man but from their perspective it has only been 5 minutes. Einstein theory went along the lines of...if you get into a space craft and traffic at the speed of light for 5 minutes, and come back and travel at the speed of light back for 5 minutes, 200 years could have passed while only 10 minutes have passed for you. If true, time also relates to nothing only location but also speed. Its very confusing I must say.

I think if you think of time like on a graph, it almost makes perfect sense.
For example, when you're graphing on an X,Y plane, you put in an X value, and a Y value comes out of it.
In 3d, you put in one of the values, and get the values of two of the other variables.

To me, time would be the independent variable, and matter just moves because you're see a different point for an object based on T for time.

No, this is fundamentally wrong.
a) Time is relative. Time passes at different rates depending on how fast you move. This is not some illusion - it really does.
B) This means that there is no such thing as 'time'. There are 'times' and each one is potentially different.
c) For various other reasons (to do with Relativity) we cannot really talk sensibly about time without also talking about space. Since time varies with movement through space it is, in a real sense, PART of a bigger whole which we call spacetime.

So - everything above is factual and not a matter of debate. Now you need to work out the implications, and they are pretty astonishing for most people.

For example:
If I go in a very fast spaceship and travel for a year at about 70% of the speed of light then on my return it is NOT next July. It is next September. No trick - on my spaceship exactly one year has passed - I am one year older. On earth 1.4 years has passed and everyone is 1.4 years older.
If the trip was 20 years then when I returned 28 years would have passed.
if I get an upgrade to my engine so that I can go at 0.9 the speed of light then for every year I travel 2.3 years passes on earth. If I get to 95% of the speed of light then my year is 3.2 years and if I manage to get to 99.99% of the speed of light then each of my years is 70 years on earth.

That is one little factoid - we call it time dilation.
Any budding Einsteins will already be realising other things that follow from this - like the fact that distances also change as you move at different rates, or like the fact that simultaneous events are not simultaneous for other observers.
That last one is a poser to be sure. Think about it. When I see two events happening at the same time, other observers may see them happen at different times. Really, I promise! :-)

My belief is that God was before time. Therefore according to me some elements are earthly made like time, space( i mean land space or anything that occupies volume). As for the big bang i really believe in it as Iam a muslim i believe that God created this world for the sole purpose as man. This is my reply and i really hope you learn something from it.

I'm glad you believe in some scientific ideas. Do you also accept evolution? Because if so then it seems that God created a whole lot of stuff for just one species. Why create the universe and wait 8-9 billion years before creating earth and then wait billions more before man evolves? Seems like a strange way of doing things, but maybe He has a reason eh? :-)Actually the notion that God exists outside time is fine by me - I am an atheist but I have nothing against religious belief so long as it is not 'fundamentalist' and it doesn't result in harm to others.* What I cannot abide is those who let their faith blind them to reality - the creationists and fundamentalists of all types who cannot accept obviously true facts because it contradicts what they think their faith position should be. No time for that at all. I want to know how things are in reality, and if what I learn is scary or hurtful then so be it. Fairytales are for children :-)

*PS - that is not meant to apply to Muslims in particular by the way. Fundamentalist Christians scare me just as much as the Islamist terrorists do.
Edited by Bikerman (see edit history)

If you have problems running late, meeting important deadlines or getting things done what you actually need to learn is how to manage yourself. Then you can make the most of the time you have.Time Management Skills, are really self-management skills. Once you learn how to create and manage your focus, control your habits, manage your energy levels and limit distractions you will experience what has become known as "Time Management Skills."It's really about being productive and effectively using the time you have to get the important things done.Now that you know the real definition, you can start to take the steps towards improving your self-management skills today.Once you focus on managing yourself, rather than attempting to manage the external concept of time, you will take control of your results.Here are some things you can do to start to 'manage yourself"1. Take 100% Responsibility for Your Results. Decide today to take 100% responsibility for your results. When you accept responsibility you take control of changing the results. When you blame external forces (like time) for your results you give away all control to change them.2. Get Organised - An organised workspace and an organised mind are important to creating focus. Take back control of the clutter in your life.3. Set Goals - Goal help to set priorities of what's important and what is not. Without goals, how will you know if what you are doing is productive? Aim to set short (30 day), medium (90 day) and long term (1-5 year) goals.4. Review Your Habits. There is a famous saying that first you form your habits, then they form you. What daily habits are holding you back. What new habit can you put in their place? It is commonly accepted that it takes around 30 days to implement a new habit if you do it everyday. Also, you should only attempt to change one habit in any 30 day period.

It seems to help to get a clear vision to devide between the counting of time done by human beings and the fysical time that goes by as human beings experience it. Time as a measure to count is ruled by the circle around the sun that the earth makes. 1 turn is named 1 year. The moon appears 12 times full in this amount of 1 turn. So the year is divided in 12 parts with 1 part for every cyclus of the moon going from full to full again. Or from invisible to invisible again if somebody wants to count that way. The day is measured by the turn that the earth makes. So 1 day is 1 circle of the earth. This amount of time is divided in 12 parts for the daytime and 12 times for the night time. These divisions come from the division of the circle of the year in 12 parts, probably. The pointers of the clock show more or less the positon of the sun during the day. If you make a clock with 24 hours on the front the pointers would show you the position of the sun during the complete 24 hours of the day and the night.Since the minutes are counted by 60 in 1 hour the division of time into hours and minutes and the counting of the time comes probably from the people of Babylon. They used a mathematic system using parts of 60 in stead of 100. This system is very strong. 1 Reason might be because it is easier for the human brain to work with 60 in stead of 100. Compared with eachother the amount of 100 seems a bit too much for the human brain to understand. The strenght of the mathematical system based on the amount of 60 is shown by the use of this system in the counting of time, that still exists in the year 2010.Time as a fysical fact seems to be a part of existing in the physical world. Like an object has weight and dimensions and the way it appears. An object has physical aspects like colour, taste, hardness. Time is an aspect of existing in the physical world. When an object doesn't have this aspect it would not exist in the fysical world like the human being experiences it. The object would exist like a ghost and be timeless. An object needs to be attached to time to be able to exist. An object which time is finished disappears. That can be compared with wood that gets burned. The wood in its original form disappears. This means that the piece of wood lost track with the existing time.

Edited by inea (see edit history)