xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
AnkitGoswami

Use Google Translate As A Proxy Site

Hey I found an alternate use for the google translate service. Just use the option of translating a page into another language and it acts as a proxy. So you ca use it for anonimous browsing 'cause if you translate a Web page, and then follow a link from that page, you go to the translated version of the page rather than the original page.

It does pictures for me, it's just a little slow. I've used it as a proxy before, but the only class I have with computers is one that I have no free time in and the library is closed most of the time because they're short on librarians, so I don't have a use for proxies usually.

Edited by NNH1254 (see edit history)

Well, thanks for posting this here, as this will help a lot of people.I used to use this when Google Videos weren't available in India, I could use the service then after translating it through Google! :)

Hi, this is the working of every translate site which you come across, you see the translated page not on your machine but on the server through which it is being translated. I have seen google goofing up at many websites, with completely messing up the content, but at most of the times it works very fine.

The method of using Google Translate as a proxy website doesn't quite work with certain filters. This is because whenever you enter a URL into the Google Translate, lets say mydomain.com, the URL of the site to be translated is not submitted via a POST method, but through the GET method i.e. you are redirected to e.g. https://translate.google.com.au/ with the original URL being part of the new Google Translate URL. As a result, the filters are tripped and the site remains blocked even though you accessed it through Google Translate, simply because the original URL has not been removed from the new URL and is visible to the filter software.

I always use Google Translator at school as a proxy. Of course why would a school block such a useful learning tool. Try not to tell everyone you know because then they will block it and everyone will come to your house egg it and kill you lolz :)

The issue with using this, is not that they'd block Google as a whole, but TRANSLATE.GOOGLE.COM, which is an entirely different "site" per se. My employers have blocked mail.google.com seperate from google, so don't go and think you're being smart, since they will catch up to in in time and ban your *bottom*! (Then won't you feel stupid! :) )