xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
AnkitGoswami

No Google Talk For Linux? Is there anyway you can use gtalk in linux without opening your browse

I've been using linux (kubuntu and just installed sabayon) for the past month and am very happy with it but for the fact that I can't use gtalk with it. Gtalk is my favorite chat client and I don't like chatting using a browser. Does anyone know of a way to get gtalk to work in linux?

If you are on Kubuntu, you should have Kopete (its installed by default). GTalk uses Jabber, so create a new account by clicking Settings > Configure > Accounts > New... For your Jabber ID enter your full email address (including @gmail.com or @googlemail.com). Also enter your password, then move on to the Connection tab. Check the three tickboxes (use SSL, allow plaintext passwords and override defaults), enter talk.google.com for the server, and 5223 as the port number. Click Next, Connect then Finish and you should be done. Kopete should also connect automatically each time you login, unless you unticked that box.

You can also install GAIM and use Jabber there. Google has a page on how to configure GAIM for Google Talk.

Same here. I had to log into the chat enabled Gmail website before.

You can also install GAIM and use Jabber there. Google has a page on how to configure GAIM for Google Talk.

exsactly just one pig problime on linux is video cam and sound chattheir is no video cam on linux and also no sound chat for most of chat server
hop this get fix soon

Personal message in Kopete/Gtalk

No Google Talk For Linux?

Hi! I'm Lucas from Argentina...

Anyone knows why my MSN contacts can't see my personal message??? I'm using Kopete with my Gmail account and a "transport" (jaim) to chat with those contacts... Any suggestions???

-reply by Lucas

Google PrismsNo Google Talk For Linux?

Look for the package called prism-google-talk in Synaptic, after the install it shows under the applications-> internet menu and works perfectly! :) 

It just needs Prism to be installed first

I hope that helps!!

-reply by Monica