xisto Community
rozinante

Anxiety anyone knows of a good technique dealing with it?

It sometimes, more often than not, happens that when I get into a public place, usually new, I start feeling stress and perhaps panic to some measure. Anyone has ever experienced such cases, and if so, is there a good, healthy way to get over it for good?

It sounds a little like agoraphobia, which i just found out about by accident, it says its a fear of having a panic attack in a public or a new area which sounds very similar to what you are experiencing, heres a link http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ you might find more out by googling the name if you think this is what you experience.

I dont think there would be any quick and easy ways to treat yourself as such but i would imagine that going into a public place where you feel a little scared, not petrified just uncomfortable and then read a book on a bench or have lunch outside, like outside a cafe, or do something you enjoy there. The idea is that the pleasure you get from what ever you do there out-weighs the fear or anxiety you get from being there and hopefully the fear will lessen.

If you are willing to go to a professional then that would be a good idea, they wont lock you into a straight jacket, probably use a little hypnosis and take you out to these public places to find out exactly what the trigger is, and then work from there.

I really get anxious when I have to go into a public place myself... I much more prefer to stay in my own home, or around people that I know. When it's a nice day, I try to get outside and walk around the block a bit, or go into the park for a while. It seems to help me if I give myself a purpose to be somewhere. Like I tell myself that I'm going to the mall to pick up a book or something that I really want, and I try to do that once a week by myself. I used to never go out unless someone in my family was going with me, but I force myself to get out there by myself now, so I can work to becoming my independant too.Maybe this time when I get my book, I'll take some time to read it in the park on the way home instead of on my back porch. Maybe I'll even switch from reading in the back to reading in front of my house, so that I'm a bit more around people. Thanks for the tips and the link, cause that sounds an awful lot like me lol. I'll keep looking back here myself, cause I could use the extra ideas as well.

Hey guys, I couldnt help but searching a little about that disorder and I came across a thing called SAD which is short for "Social Anxiety Disorder". The title is a bit scary, and I'm not 100% sure I have this exact disorder (which seems like having a lot in common with Agrophobia as mentioned by Shadowx above).

This site gives you a glance about SAD http://www.factsforhealth.org/socialanxiety.html , and if you're looking for more, googling for it will give you very detailed explanations.
Its not so nice to discover that you have this kind of disorder or another, but I think its important not to sweep under the carpet such issues.

Im gonna inquire more deeply into it, and I hope its something that can be cured.

thanks.

I do not know if I have anxiety attacks but I do have anxiety due to my job, family life and my depression. My pulse is at a constant 100 when it should be between the normal 72-80 I guess.My doctor has adviced me to take a holiday for a week or two but at the moment I cannot leave my job but I would suggest that you to should try mingling bit by bit as it helps a lot. Maybe take a few friends along so that they might be able to help you in case you feel insecure. You might get a sense of safety if you are around some one whom you trust.

It sometimes, more often than not, happens that when I get into a public place, usually new, I start feeling stress and perhaps panic to some measure.
Anyone has ever experienced such cases, and if so, is there a good, healthy way to get over it for good?

me.. i get a feeling inside.. that just tells me sometyhing is going to happen.. and i get anxiety attacks in my teeth.. its weird.. even if io think nothing will happen.. if i get the feeling.. something extremely weird usually happens.. surprices most of the tiem XD

In my observations people afflicted with this public/social anxiety also are not comfortable in their own skin. They're worried about what others may see or think about them or judgemments they may leap to because of where they are. Usually these are little irrational fears, who cares what book someone sees you carrying, or what item they see you purchasing or see you enjoying a little sunshine, or at least that's what I sometimes have to tell myself. But the people who are confident in who they are or where they are have no difficulty adjusting to an unexpected event or chance meeting, and that is the little deception that you can tell yourself, until you believe it. 'I know who I am, I am where I should be and want to be. That is all that is important. What 'they' thing doesn't change me.'Good luck.