xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
RedAlert

Sex Scandal Brings Up Racial Tensions

http://www.aol.com/news/

This is stupid, the report right there even says that the sentences given to the female teachers aren't unusual for other cases, so I don't see the basis for any discrimination accusation other then this:

"State NAACP president Lonnie Randolph said that if the same offenses were committed by a black man on white females, the situation would be much different."

I agree it would have been different indeed if that was the case, but then again it doesn't even matter if the MALE TEACHER was black or white, or korean. Any case involving an older male having sex with an underage female will immediately give the impression to people that "there was no consent" and indeed the teacher wouldn't have been out on bail.

In other words, what he is saying is really a protest against sexism NOT racism. I'm pretty sure he knew what he was doing when he compared a black male teacher to a white female teacher.

Oh and the last quote is laughable:
""I don't want to say it was a racial thing, but if it were a white victim and a black teacher, I think things would have been handled differently,""

How can you not want to say it is a racial thing, yet bring up "what-ifs" such as if the "victim was white" and the criminal was "black"? The very fact you are mentioning the race is enough to say that ethnicity matters and is the issue.

Things like this do annoy me. And I'm sorry if I seem racist in the next few sentences, but I'm blaming the government more than black people themselves, so if that's seen as racism then...meh.Anyways, yes, the trial would obviously be different if it was a man (white or black) like you said. So it was a silly argument to make.But, if it was a black woman doing it to white students, I don't think it would of been handled differently, because I fee if the judges/jury/whoever did act too "harshly", then people would of again used the racial card, saying "If it was a white woman she would be free". In this case, it seems so. But if it was a black woman, they'd of given them bail too.I think the people who say such things as "it was because of her race that she got bail" seperate race more than those who don't say it. I think it's stupid someone got bail for doing that, black, white, male or female, either way it's just stupid. I don't think sex, age, race or anything comes into it, although sometimes it may on sex, but only in rare cases.And I am babbling on now, but to sum up:* It's not about race* Of course it would be treated harsher if it was a man* Anyone who uses the "racism card" like that are silly :lol:

Even without the Race Card, this is indeed a sad state of 'affairs', if you will 'pardon' the pun. ('bail' me out of this one, please) :lol:Teachers are symbols of respect within a community, regardless of race, colour or creed. They should not be falling to this level. Makes me wonder sometimes. If the situation were different, if the teacher was black, or male, and the student white or purple, my opinion would not be any different, but maybe that's just me.Shame, shame. Throw the book at her.

Racism exists. Sexism exists. If the teacher was black, or if he was a dude, then it wud have turned out differently. Just another sad fact of life.But I have another question for you, where were these teachers when I was in school?

too bad I didn't read the story. I don't know what happened but what I think is people can talk about racism when the accused was not concious about race. Any person can commit a crime against anyone regardless of colour or creed. Usually it's us blacks who cry foul and say the issue is racial. I've seen that in Zimbabwe where a black guy can slap a black guy, no problem. A white guy slaps a black guy the issue is escalated and is referred to as an act driven by racism. A black guy hits a white guy, "Wow! This guy is fearless."