xisto Community
spikie

What Is Your Martial Art Level Belt? What style do you do and what belt are you?

I do a mixture of martial arts as my instructor has multiple belts in multiple martial arts. The main martial art i practice is TKD, which has a belt system ofWhiteYellow stripeYellowGreen stripeGreenBlue stripeBlueBrown stripeBrownRedBlack (1-8th Dan)I am currently a Red belt, and i am content to stay there for the rest of my life if i have to. In my school, its mainly light to no contact in "formal" classes. I mean this because when you start, you do Tae Kwon do in "formal" classes that are meant to teach BASIC self defence, and tae kwon do. When you become more a part of the community, you are able to take less formal classes, like the adult judo classes, or my personal favorite Fight Night. These classes are mainly about self defence, and are not available to anyone usually under the age of 15-16 (I was the youngest at 15 years old when i joined) Since then i have become a dedicated street fighter, and I have fought with many people from many different settings (All perfectly legal at fight night) And as such, im horrible at tournaments, but when push comes to shove, ill take out any Pure TKD blackbelt. (That being 1-2nd degree, with only tae kwon do background). The other martial arts im in include Judo, Juijitsu, Apkido, Wrestling (non martial art), Boxing (Non martial art), Okanowan Karate and Oriental Weaponry (mixture of a whole bunch of stuff)

That is some form of Korean karate, correct? It seems interesting enough, although i really havent heard much about it at all (A few words in conversations from people of different schools)

I think it is a good thing if people learn a number of martial arts, and then learn to combine them.As said in another topic, there is no such thing as the best or worst martial art, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, if you can combine techniques from different martial arts, it will give you a great opportunity to combine the strengths of every one, and reduce the ones you consider to be weaknesses.However, if you are good at what you do, correctly executed techniques are always difficult to defend yourself against.Let us not forget that the great Bruce Lee, an absolute master in martial arts in my book, built up his Jeet Kune Do by combining the techniques of a vast number of martial arts.

I have been taking Karate for over 3 Years now. I currently take Isshinryu, but Im on a leave right now because of my knee's. :P My Grandmaster is Master Willie Adams, he is a black belt with I believe nine Stripes. :D I am a brown belt with three stripes, and I am going up for my Junior Black belt with a Red Stripe through it for my next promotion. :D Please wish me luck, as all of the Black Belts will be watching me and the others going up for testing.. :P

Edited by kab012345 (see edit history)

Best of luck to you.I know exactly how you must be feeling.I have an exam next Sunday (for my brown belt with red stripe though), but that is Shotokan Karate, this belt is the one just before black 1st Dan.Once again, good luck!

Best of luck to you.I know exactly how you must be feeling.
I have an exam next Sunday (for my brown belt with red stripe though), but that is Shotokan Karate, this belt is the one just before black 1st Dan.
Once again, good luck!

Thanks! :D I think I will be starting Karate again next week, so I am very excited because I need to work my Kata's and such! :P
Good Luck to you too! :D My test probably won't be for a couple of months, since the last tests were about a month ago, but who knows. :)

I have been training for about a year and a half in the style of Go Kan Ryu karate, i am now Green belt and i just completed a NAS (National All Styles) Tournement and i am now the State Champion of martial arts in south australia =) i am planning on going for Grand Champion (All Australia) at the end of next year!Good Luck to all!Jake

Congratulations.i hope you get far in the all Australian Championship.Which reminds me, I have a TISKA British championship on Saturday the 10th of November.My injury should be completely forgotten by then.(Or at least I hope so).

Haha, thank you man.Hope you kick some heads and bash some babys in your tournement. Whats is your injury and how did u manage to obtain one just before your tornement? :PGood Luck!Jake

Well, it has been a few weeks now, however, it stopped me from doing my hrading for my brown belt with red stripe, as a result I had to put it off until December.I had a crack in one of the bones of my foot (might sound like nothing, but extremely painful, I can tell you).It all happened very stupidly: going home through a park, due to the weather the soil being a bit soft (muddy).All of a sudden I walk a bit faste and due to the kind of trainers I was wearing the front of my foot sort of like gets caught in the ground, while I try to walk on.All of a sudden, there's me down on the grass, in excruciating pain and with a foot the size of a balloon.(Hasn't got "Happy Birthday" written on it, though). :P Anyway, the worst thing is, I have been told, since I am diabetic, to avoid injuries to legs and feet.Like two weeks on trainig, where an opponent blocked a kick, skin peeled off and the day after I had an infection.I guess Y am in a no win situation here.