xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
electriic ink

Make Mozilla Firefox 2 Look Like Internet Explorer 7 install myfirefox, firefox showcase and

If you're lured away from Firefox because it lacks IE7's new looks then you can make Firefox look like Windows Internet Explorer 7. To do this all you need to do is to install the following extensions and themes:

myFirefox theme

Firesomething 1.7 extension, hacked for Firefox 2 by John Haller. (not working? see post #5)

Firefox Showcase

The myFirefox theme alters the GUI and Firesomething the title bar. Firefox Showcase does the little tab preview thing:

Posted Image

To alter Firesomething so that it only displays the title Windows Internet Explorer go to:

Tools -> Addons

Firesomething -> Options

Delete all the Vendors, Prefixes and Names and add "Windows" as a vendor "Internet " (note the deliberate space after the word) as a prefix and "Explorer" as a name.

If checked, uncheck Use the same generated name for all windows and click OK.

With all these changes in effect this is what you get:

Posted Image

PS: The WindowBlinds theme used was VistaPlus 2

I don't think any FireFox user would want their skin to look like IE7. I believe a lot of us did not want to trust IE anymore and that is the reason why we moved to FireFox. IE7's GUI is really disgusting, their navigation is all over the place and it is so difficult to use especially from a user point of view. Furthermore, I want to abstain from IE7 as much as I can, even if it is a simple GUI, I don't want to have anything to do with IE7.

I have the mario bros. theme! Its really fun. I wouldnt switch it to IE though, there are a bunch of other themes out there.

Although that's pretty cool, I don't think the look really matters because that's not what I use the browser for. A browser is for me to view web sites but I guess it'd be easier on the eyes for IE7 and it's looks but in the end it doesn't matter to me. Nice tutorial though, I'm sure it'll be helpful, just not for me. :P

Although, the majority seem to disagree, I actually like IE7's theme; it's just that by removing the File, Edit menus, they made it unnecessarily confusing to use.

Anyway, if the Firesomething doesn't work for you, try the Nightly Tester Tools Extension instead. Once installed, go to the extension's options and look for the text box next to Custom title template... and type Windows Internet EXplorer in there.

It's totally ridiculous to want Mozilla Firefox looks like Internet Explorer. For two reasons, if you want Internet Explorer, then you have it. And when you use Mozilla Firefox is much probably because you dislike or even hate Internet Explorer. But I suppose there are some strange people out there with strange tastes. :)