xisto Community
facool

Dual Booting Vista And Xp With This?

Ok, so I've done some looking around trying to see if it's possible I could dual-boot my pc with Windows XP Home and Vista Ultimate Edition (x64). Well, I know it's possible, but I'm not understanding many guides I read because many people have mentioned assorted stuff like requiring two hard drives (I only have one 250GB one), and other assorted stuff like software I'd need to supply certain space to the two separate partitions.I was thinking of making my Windows XP be more of the serious partition, and having Vista be the more media-centered one, so the majority of my space would be on the Vista one. And on that note, I was wondering if Vista would be able to play games any better than XP's partition? I know this normally isn't the case, but I have 3GB of ram, and I've heard XP only uses up to 2GB of ram and no more. That, and I have a dual core operating system, and I know home doesn't use x64 to it's full potential. I know it uses both cores, though not as efficiently as it could, as in dedicated cores, as Vista has the capabilities to do. Would this potentially make games better off? I know that I'm using geforce 7900gt, and that nVidia has ****-for-drivers, so it won't be any better, if only much worse, than XP home, but will it have potential to run smoother AFTER nVidia finally releases a few better drivers?And if at all possible, can anyone show me a tutorial on how to do it if it's possible on a single hard drive, or what software is the best to stick w/ as far as separating memory to different partitions goes? Thanks for all the help!

I don't know much about partitioning in Windows, but here is what I would do. Create three partitions, one for Windows XP, one for Windows Vista, and then a BIG one that you can share files on between the operating systems. I don't think you'll notice a difference between XP and Vista with the same processor and the same amount of RAM. 64-bit technology is still new, and its not going to make much of a difference now anyway. Just because an operating system can support 64-bit technology doesn't mean that applications it run can.Try PartitonMagic, although you need to by it. As for a boot loader, if you don't have one, use GRUB. Hope this helps.

Well it depends if you want to do a complete rebuild or just add the vista os as a second partition. In order to add it, you would have to get a piece of software like partition magic to change the size of your single partion to a much smaller size and then create the second one for vista. If you want to do a rebuild, just install vista first and set its partition size to what you want. Then install xp since this will put it farter away on the harddrive so performance will be a bit slower but it should be a big difference and you probably will be using vista most of the time. Personally, i just would install vista not even bother with dual booting. I run vista and have no problems with it.Unlike what ghostrider stated you will see a difference with the 64 bit version of Vista over XP. It will be much smoother and a bit quicker. Finally, one other thing is that you wont need a boot loader since windows has one built in but only works with windows os' which means ur safe. Its under my computer -> properties and boot optioons

All you got to do, is download a program that adds partitions to your computer by taking away space from your harddrive.make a 15gb or 20gb partition, which you should use for Vista, and insert the vista CD.after all the setup, when it asks you were you want to put it in, make sure its in the new partition that you created.very easy, no hassle, im 13 and it was very easy for me to figure out :P

Its not true that you need to hard disks.When you load from the operating system CDs.It will give the option to choose which hard drive or location to install the operating system on.You should be able to split the hard drive into two or more partitions.say100gb for one operating system100gd for the second operating systemand 50gb for backups and filesI have done this with XP home, XP pro, and 98Its also useful, because if you re install your operating system, you can backup your files to an unused parttition, rather than writing to a disk, which can get damaged. Also, then you can just copy the data straight back from the other partition.

Hi,Before checking some admin book, I just thinking that windows vista boot as windows xp and previous version.But that's all wrong. Windows Vista uses a whole new boot manager to start and manage it's system.There over 20 and more new terms you have to family with before you go configure dual booting.But it is true that you should install windows xp first, then, windows vista.Cause the later will found that Windows XP present on your system and configure it correctly.I still looking my book about that.Please let me knew if you really need it.Eric,

I'm dualbooting Vista with XP for some time , but i'm using Vista Ultimate x86 although I have a CPU that's capable of x64 computing . I have 3 partitions , 1 for XP(40 GB) , 1 for Vista (135 GB) and another one for files (70 GB) . BTW I also have a 250 GB HDD. I installed XP first and created the partitions at that time then I installed Vista and Vista recognized my partitions and i'm booting using the Vista Boot Manager . A more detailed guide is available .http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_xp__stepbystep_guide_with_screenshots.htm/

Well are the issues with dual booting. I dont think you want to pay alot of money so that you can partican your hard drive. What you are going to have to do is format your hard drive, then before you install windows get a boot up disk like a windows 98 will work and load fdisk on it. fdisk will split your hard drives into particians. Then you can install vista on one and xp on the other there for when you boot up you can choose the operating system you want. now there is something that can help you if you dont want to do that its called virtual pc 2007. its free google it, you can install windows xp on the virtual xp and complety run it as if you were using a windows xp. Try using Virtual pc if you want to.

Well my friend, yo could use many special tools for partitioning, such as Partition Magic, or even Paragon Partiion Manager, you just have to make two partitions at minimum, in the first one install XP, and in the other install Vista, the integrated boot loader of Vista will do the work to recognize XP and add it to the OS list when you boot your computer, I hope this helps in you problem.

well this the easiest way.what you need two hard drivesinstall one hard drive with xp and the other with vista.by changing the setting in the bios ( first boot which will come first) you can change if you want vista or xp.the one that will boot first is the one that will you use.