xisto Community
FunkySurd

Online Education Tell me how you think of it

It all looks interesting, Moodle was somewhat new to me, but I did definitely think about Google for online teaching purposes.
Unfortunately, due to my health situation, I have had to put my plans on ice for now, but I still intend to go ahead with testing an online teaching system.
I would not be using that system in any school (I do not think I would find many schools (if any) who would allow you to teach from home or even sit at the staffroom PC to teach your class.), but I would use it for my private tuition which is mostly on a one to one basis

I will have to test that Moodle system thoroughly (once I am back on my feet, of course) and see how either me or my pupils could benefit from it.
Mind you, I have already done sort of "half online" teaching, meaning I used resources (which I always made myself) and the pupils/students either had to use them from a website I had uploaded the resources to, or just run them from a PC or laptop, with the resources on a CD/DVD.

One example of this I remember is an online karaoke system I had put on the web, I used it for a course for disabled students, and they loved it.
I have always been in favour of modern teaching methods, provided they have been thoroughly tried and tested.

Anyway, I'll have a closer look at Moodle, and hope that one day soon I will still be able to teach people.

Thanks for the tip anyway.

On the note of teaching from a staffroom or such, there are distance learning courses in most colleges. This is where students are in a classroom and the professor is elsewhere (usually in a different school, state or even country) teaching the course via TV. So it's definitely usable in the real-world scenarios as well!

That's a very interesting topic.I believe that blended learning will give you the best of the two worlds.The blended learning is a combination of online and face-to-face study. From a stand point of a teacher I find myself a bit limited with the online tools no matter how advanced or creative those tools are. There's always technical issues either from my end or from the students' end that will hinder the progress.Also in face-to-face situation the teacher is limited with the class time and the span of concentration of all individuals in a given group.A well structured course that makes use of the face-to-face interactions effictively and utilizes the online capabilities to integrate self-study activities and delayed feedback would be ideal in my opinion.In such a course, a local tutor could do the f2f part and a distance online tutor do the other part. Of course that needs careful planning and good collaboration to work. That would be ideal.