xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
MusicOnly

Today A Part Of Me Died... lost and unsecure

I was sitting in front of my computer and looking for new Ibanez guitars when my dad entered room. At first we were talking about guitars and shipping and then suddenly he said to me:"Silvio isn`t playing guitar anymore."Silvio is my 25 years old cousin. He is the reason i started playing guitar. At first moment i thought he was joking but then i read on one forum that he is no longer playing in his band. I feel confused now and sad. My idol wasn`t Vai, Petrucci or any other guitar player. Silvio is my idol and i always wanted to impress him so i kept practicing every single day. I even started learning his songs so i can prove him that i am at least good guitarist. We don`t live in same town so i don`t see him every day. but whenever i was at his place i always asked him to play for me. I could listen to him for hours and hours. Why is this bad news for me? Well i feel like with his none playing died part of me. Right now i feel empty and i dont know what to do. I don`t feel like playing guitar today, maybe even tomorrow... Right now i am thinking about my playing. will i continue or stop? I really like playing but i dont know who to impress anymore. My friends dont like music the way me and Silvio do. Right now i am lost. This is the day when music died and with music died the part of me. I am scarred! I want to woke up and realize this was only bad dream...

I'm sorry to hear that your idol stopped playing guitar. I'm sure it isn't a good feeling. But you know, maybe if you keep trying you will become as good as him and maybe you could convince him to start a band with you or to atleast start playing again. It probably would be hard to find someone else to look up to because it woulnd't be the same but you never know. He may indeed start back up again as well and this could just be a temporary thing, I don't know him though so I wouldn't know. Well in any case, I hope you continue to play the guitar so you can be an idol to someone like yourself sometime in the future.

Why dont you use that feeling you have right now to compose a song in his honor. I feel like thats what music is all about, its about feeling and how to express it with music. I think you should go ahead and buy your guitar and go your way now. Its like you are on your own but you will never forget who you started playing guitar for. Think about everything that has to do with Silverio and start making your own music. Also, its never good to just be stuck on one style, try many styles, you can come up with new techniques and mix them up until you end up making your own, who know? Perhaps you will be somebody elses Silverio some day. Dont let that chance die! Good Luck.

You can have idols of course. But you should play for yourself and for your pleasure and not to impress others. If you are playing just to impress others than you are missing the point of playing a guitar. That can also be said for other things. Always try to find things in life that you really love doing, and then nothing can make you stop doing that, until maybe you find something else that you like more.Question yourself on what is the reason you started playing. Be honest, or you will never be truly happy. You can live your whole life doing things that other people expect of you, and then once you realize that you might be really disapointed. If you remember your true reason of why you like playing keep it in mind and play for that reason, that can lead you to great things, so you will never be sad like you are now. I bet your cousin wasn't the only reason for doing that, and once you find the truth about your love to guitar, once again you will feel the pleasure in doing so!I hope you will not stop playing, but try to become better and practice, maybe write songs about things you see in your life troubling you, or making you happy. Don't give up...

Maybe your cousin needs a break from playing. Maybe he's accomplished everything that he wants to accomplish with his guitar(s). Maybe he'll pick it up again; maybe he won't. Whatever the case: he's already motivated and inspired you to learn the guitar. Nothing can change that because it's in the past. It's already been done. You already know how to play and you're already at whatever skill level you're at. Even if your cousin never so much as glances at a guitar again, you'll still have that.Music is one of the most important things in my life. I love playing and listening to all sorts of stuff. But I don't idolize any one musician. I'm motivated because music makes ME feel [whatever]. That, I think, is why I keep playing even though Kurt Cobain is dead, Ani DiFranco's last few records have been average at best and Phil Collins's solo act reeks to heaven and back.In other words: no matter what happens to the musicians who have inspired me over the years...I still listen and I still play. It has to come from inside yourself, dude, or it'll be knocked around and battered every time something outside of you changes.

I am not disappointed because he isn`t playing guitar anymore. Let`s just say that i am sad because i knew that this day will come. He taught me the basics of guitar and i can`t thank him enough for letting me play my first chords on his guitar. He always had time for me and whenever i had problem with guitar he told me how to fix it. He recently bought new guitar which cost a lot and they had concert for the first time in capital of croatia. He played with a lot of famous bands here in Croatia(like Prljavo Kazali?te, TBF, Father...) and i thought this is it; he finally managed to play in front of a lots of people and they really liked their music. And then, bang, he is leaving band, guitar is in its case and he suddenly doesn`t want to play it anymore. I ll probably go to his place next month but i dont know what will i be doing there. We used to play all the day but what now... I hope i ll make him proud on me because he made me proud on him. At least what i can do is to continue playing; because of me, my love for music, and because of him... I would really wanted to see him playing again but knowing him, this wont happen... when he finishes with something he really mean that:(